BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Carbon Fiber cosmetic part from China if the quality was good?
Yes if the price is right! 70 63.06%
Maybe, I'd have to see the part first and judge based on that. 34 30.63%
No! China-made parts are junk. 7 6.31%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

01-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #45
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I would like to see carbon parts that were decently priced.

I work with composites, and I know a lot of time goes into making molds, but i also know what materials cost, and the prices for parts for our cars are high for what they are.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #46
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post

I work with composites, and I know a lot of time goes into making molds, but i also know what materials cost, and the prices for parts for our cars are high for what they are.
Extremely high.
      01-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #47
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post

ive been saying this for years. And I also know exactly what goes into making composites

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #48
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

scopione has the best parts for a reasonable price imho. I'd love to see quality/pricing to compete with theirs. every car has their high end parts, and their reasonable parts. we seem to be lacking on the latter.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #49
TOY1
Rep
Drives: 135 i

Splitter and rear spoiler to 135i, decently priced, aceptable quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #50
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
dont really care so much for the CF look, but a rear diffuser in gloss black (same as the shadowline/grille color) would be great
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #51
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I just ordered a JBspeed rear trunk spoiler, probably the best priced rear wing available, for a little over $200.

Carbon cloth averages around $50 a yard, a lot less when you buy in bulk. Fiberglass is much less expensive.

The carbon fiber I have used ends up Much stiffer and stronger than the carbon parts I have bought for my car, so I'm suspecting a lot of carbon parts are not really made of real carbon fiber, probably dyed glass..

Even if my wing IS made of real carbon, there's about $7 of carbon used in making it (at $50 a yard). So my guess is there's less than $20 in supplies used in making a diffuser or wing.

I know there's a lot of time and energy involved in making molds because I make molds myself, but the single layer, thin parts made for cars are just SO overpriced it is just crazy.

I also know that because the number of sales per part is probably not that high, so I think that's why makers of parts jack the prices up so they can get their money back.

I guess we're lucky that people bother to make cool parts for our cars, but the prices are crazy, it's a catch-22.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #52
hongi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' 128i Alpine white

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Interior trim +1
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #53
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Affordable rear spoiler for the VERT. Right now, the only option AFAIK is the OEM. Too expensive.
      01-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #54
FlashBimmer9er
2009 Alpine White/Coral Red leather 128i
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/Coral Red leather 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
128i front spoiler
this this this. make it <200$ :P
YES
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #55
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Hi Guys.

Update time.

My colleague and I found a factory in China that I could use for this project. Things are going good so far. Hopefully within a few weeks I can get some parts to use as prototypes.

I think first off I'm going to try and have them copy stuff that already exists versus designing completely new stuff. For example, I saw there is interest in CF sideskirts. Slek might be doing something with this, but I'd also love to give them a run for their money (no offense slek). I probably would do it in the same design as the BMW Aero/Performance sideskirts. Also, I could get a vert rear spoiler based on the OEM one for much cheaper. Could also do gloss black stuff. Also, I've personally been looking for a good lip for the Aero front bumper. I know there's not a huge market for that, but there aren't many options at all for a front lip on cars with the Aero bumper. Interior trim could be pretty easy too, and I know there's a market, so I'll try and do that at first too. Hoods and trunks I want to do, but I wouldn't be starting off with those (unless they're direct OEM replacements) because I'd have to do design stuff, and as I said, for now I'm going to focus on easier stuff to manufacture as this gets started and kind of builds momentum. If there's fair interest in the simpler stuff, I could expand into more intricate parts.

Any further input from you guys would be awesome too. Anything else you want?

I haven't forgotten about you guys, but as I said, starting something like this takes some time.

Last edited by 1speedbike; 05-22-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #56
woner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Hi Guys.

Update time.

My colleague and I found a factory in China that I could use for this project. Things are going good so far. Hopefully within a few weeks I can get some parts to use as prototypes.

I think first off I'm going to try and have them copy stuff that already exists versus designing completely new stuff. For example, I saw there is interest in CF sideskirts. Slek might be doing something with this, but I'd also love to give them a run for their money (no offense slek). I probably would do it in the same design as the BMW Aero/Performance sideskirts. Also, I could get a vert rear spoiler based on the OEM one for much cheaper. Could also do gloss black stuff. Also, I've personally been looking for a good lip for the Aero front bumper. I know there's not a huge market for that, but there aren't many options at all for a front lip on cars with the Aero bumper. Interior trim could be pretty easy too, and I know there's a market, so I'll try and do that at first too. Hoods and trunks I want to do, but I wouldn't be starting off with those (unless they're direct OEM replacements) because I'd have to do design stuff, and as I said, for now I'm going to focus on easier stuff to manufacture as this gets started and kind of builds momentum. If there's fair interest in the simpler stuff, I could expand into more intricate parts.

Any further input from you guys would be awesome too. Anything else you want?

I haven't forgotten about you guys, but as I said, starting something like this takes some time.
2010+ mirror caps. I think scopione may be working on that too but they haven't produced anything or given an eta.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #57
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woner View Post
2010+ mirror caps. I think scopione may be working on that too but they haven't produced anything or given an eta.
That seems pretty easy to do, actually. Gonna include this in my report/list for the factory.

So far higher preference has been given to:

CF Aero-style sideskirts
Convertible trunk spoiler
Interior Trim
2010+ Mirror caps
Roof Spoiler

That's not to say that I'm not looking at any other parts. I have already done research on lips, splitters, grilles, coupe spoilers, diffusers, etc.. And eventually I'm going to look more into hoods and trunks. But for now, those items seem to have the most demand and can "prove" that this project is worth the effort, and aren't terribly complicated to make or expensive to produce and sell, so they seem to be the best bets. Notice I added the 2010 mirror caps to that list after woner's suggestion, so more suggestions are always welcome.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #58
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
That seems pretty easy to do, actually. Gonna include this in my report/list for the factory.

CF Aero-style sideskirts
Interior Trim
2010+ Mirror caps
Roof Spoiler

That's not to say that I'm not looking at any other parts. I have already done research on lips, splitters, grilles, coupe spoilers, diffusers, etc.. And eventually I'm going to look more into hoods and trunks. But for now, those items seem to have the most demand and can "prove" that this project is worth the effort, and aren't terribly complicated to make or expensive to produce and sell, so they seem to be the best bets. Notice I added the 2010 mirror caps to that list after woner's suggestion, so more suggestions are always welcome.
thats a very good list. When you move onto newly designed parts please look into designing a more aggressive diffuser for the 135i bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #59
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
M3 style hood, in fiberglass. Because I'm just going to paint it anyway.
      05-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #60
lucaa135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

m style hood, spoiler, 1m bumpers..
      05-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #61
strati1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
128i front spoiler
yes^^
//Mods: Golf Tee, red out tails, smoked fogs, B&G S2 Springs, Adjustable Koni Yellows, Vorshlag Camberplates, PSS 225 square, Macht Schnell 90mm studs, H&R spacers 15mm front 20mm rear (no rubbing), RPI scoops, K&N
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #62
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:

CF Aero-style sideskirts
Interior Trim
2010+ Mirror caps
Roof Spoiler
Youre thinking about me! Finally a voice!

Kersher not a good option for your perf bumper?

Also can we work out a diffuser in more of the Raze 1M style for the 135s? With actual ducts? I can help you on that one when I get home

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #63
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
I'm game, please keep us updated and thanks for doing the leg work!
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #64
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Youre thinking about me! Finally a voice!

Kersher not a good option for your perf bumper?

Also can we work out a diffuser in more of the Raze 1M style for the 135s? With actual ducts? I can help you on that one when I get home

Thought the Kerscher lip only fit the regular bumper??

And sure! I am very interested in making a different style diffuser for our cars. The options I see now are either OEM style, or iCarbon style (or quad in either style). If you could help that would be awesome! I'm still working on the production aspect, but I'm not very experienced with AutoCad or anything design related. I'll facebook you my #

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 04:04 AM   #65
milehigh135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

why does everything need to be carbon fiber? Is it a BMW thing. I come from an Evo. I want a kerscher front lip that's FRP.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #66
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thought the Kerscher lip only fit the regular bumper??

And sure! I am very interested in making a different style diffuser for our cars. The options I see now are either OEM style, or iCarbon style (or quad in either style). If you could help that would be awesome! I'm still working on the production aspect, but I'm not very experienced with AutoCad or anything design related. I'll facebook you my #
got your number. I suck with AutoCAD too (although I have the program)
ask if they can get away with CATIA. I have a lot experience with that.

And to my knowledge you have to punch a new hole or two, but the Kersher lip can be made to fit the perf bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh135i View Post
why does everything need to be carbon fiber? Is it a BMW thing. I come from an Evo. I want a kerscher front lip that's FRP.
Honestly. No clue. Im just going to be painting over all this stuff anyway.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread