E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Canada Classifieds Section > WTB - Winter Rim & Tire Package (Toronto)

12-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
MattGrantham
2008 e93 335i
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 335i

Post WTB - Winter Rim & Tire Package (Toronto)

Hey folks,

I've seen a few postings out there but everything seems to be sold at the moment from what I can see so I figured I would reach out to the community for help.

I'm looking for a winter tire and rim package asap that will fit for my e93 335 (sport). Am on the fence in deciding whether or not to go 17" vs the stock 18" but let me know what you have as I'm more interested in not spinning out on the highway than having sexy winter rims.

Am willing to pickup within the GTA and if you have the ability (and facilities) to help with the install I will pay you for your time. I'm located at King & Bathurst.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGrantham View Post
Hey folks,

I've seen a few postings out there but everything seems to be sold at the moment from what I can see so I figured I would reach out to the community for help.

I'm looking for a winter tire and rim package asap that will fit for my e93 335 (sport). Am on the fence in deciding whether or not to go 17" vs the stock 18" but let me know what you have as I'm more interested in not spinning out on the highway than having sexy winter rims.

Am willing to pickup within the GTA and if you have the ability (and facilities) to help with the install I will pay you for your time. I'm located at King & Bathurst.

Thanks!
I don't have a set for sale, but may be able to help as I went through this last winter in the GTA.

A few questions though:
- are you looking for original BMW (OEM) wheels or will you settle for replicas?
- are you sticking with runflats for your winter tire set or going with non-RFT?
- also, is your heart set on getting a deal on a used package or will you consider new?

Your question on rim diameter is a no-brainer if aesthetics are not a concern for you. You'll need 17" to clear the rotors on a E93 335i but there is no need to go any larger than this. You will save $$ on both your wheels and tires up front by going 17" vs 18", and at the same time you lower your chance of doing damage if and when you hit a pothole or curb over the winter.

I started looking at used packages last year, but a lot of the stuff people are selling on kijiji and the forums is pretty heavily used, and when you figure that winter tires are coming to the end of their useful life at about 5 or 6/32" (and if you plan to keep your car for a few years) it made sense to me to just pay a little bit more and get the full usage out of a new set.

If you are ok with replica wheels, the first recommendation I would give you is to take a look at SimplyTire here in the GTA (up around Keele & Finch) as they have a pretty good selection of both RFT and non-RFT winter packages for the E9x. They have several options in both RFT and non-RFT for 17" in 225/45:
http://www.simplytire.com/winter/bmwpdf.pdf

Also, take a look at Tire Rack as lots of people have reported good experiences with their made in Germany replicas (Rial Salerno) in 17" and they will have pretty much the widest selection of winter tires on the planet. They will mount/balance everything for you, and they also make the tire import process painless by charging you up front for taxes and duty so there are no nasty surprises when the shipment hits your doorstep.

FWIW I bought my winters (Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 RFT) from Simply Tire and had them mounted on my OEM BMW wheels and was really happy with both the price and service there.

Good luck with your search!
Appreciate 0