2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Vossen Reviews/Quality: How is it?

03-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Vossen Reviews/Quality: How is it?

Looking into getting some Vossen CV3's...

How is the ride? With everyday wear and tear (potholes, bumps, etc.) is it durable? And what does the warranty cover?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
mrainv23
mrainv23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe F06

Wheels are strong. Graphite matte finish is questionable. Spoke with vossen rep and they stand by their products. I had some minor pitting. Sounds like an oddity but they said they can take care of this for me if it worsens. Their service reps are super responsive. I may have got a bad lot. I would recommend them !

Sold-BMW 550i F10/Dinan S3/ Eisenmann Race Exhaust/ Vossen CV3s
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrainv23 View Post
Wheels are strong. Graphite matte finish is questionable. Spoke with vossen rep and they stand by their products. I had some minor pitting. Sounds like an oddity but they said they can take care of this for me if it worsens. Their service reps are super responsive. I may have got a bad lot. I would recommend them !
Well I was just going to Plastidip them black anyways... the warranty will cover if the wheels bend right?

Also, do you know where I can get them for under $2000 with tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
gtmassive75
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5,G20 M340,Infiniti Q50RS

Dinan, i don't think you can get them under $2k new, I paid around $3300 for my CV1's with my Conti's DWS from a store in Valley Stream, NY.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
shehatezme
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

To be honest, they are overpriced for cast wheels. If i was going to spend less than $2K, I would go for VMR wheels with tires. Otherwise, I would step it up and spend $3.5k-4K on some used forged wheels. I priced out CV7s and it was about $3K with TPMS. I much rather spend the extra $1K-1.5K for a nice used set of forged wheels. At the price range of $2K-3K, you are at some overpriced cast wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmassive75 View Post
Dinan, i don't think you can get them under $2k new, I paid around $3300 for my CV1's with my Conti's DWS from a store in Valley Stream, NY.
I don't mind used. Is anyone willing to trade my style 316 rims 20" for 20" Vossens? or any other aftermarket brands.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You guys should ONLY buy wheels that are certified in some way, like JWL/VIA/TUV.
There are tons of pics of "cool" wheels that blew up because they weren't tested.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

[QUOTE=DINAN_GT;13704056]Well I was just going to Plastidip them black anyways... the warranty will cover if the wheels bend right?
QUOTE]

I doesn't look like the warranty covers bent wheels. Here is information from Vossen's website
Within the first 5 years of ownership, if any defects in material or workmanship arise under normal and reasonable use when properly installed and maintained, Vossen Wheels will replace or refinish your wheels free of charge. Our lifetime structural warranty will guarantee the replacement of your wheel in the event of a structural failure caused by a manufacturer defect. Please contact us for our warranty guidelines and a return authorization number to file a claim

This is typical, their warranty comes in to play if the wheel falls apart, not bends. It also covers the finish. The 5 year term is much better than most. More typical is one year.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Jhenka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I wouldn't recommend them.

Although most of the guys on the G37 and Lexus forums swear by them, I think you're better off paying a little extra and getting a forged set for your $7x,xxx car.

Key point? a good friend of mine got clipped on the highway and ending up clipping a divider. When the rims scrapped the divider they shattered and flew of the car leaving him standing on his brakes grinding to a stop.

If you guys like i can upload pics of the wheel centers which were still attached to the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJhenka View Post

Although most of the guys on the G37 and Lexus forums swear by them, I think you're better off paying a little extra and getting a forged set for your $7x,xxx car.

Key point? a good friend of mine got clipped on the highway and ending up clipping a divider. When the rims scrapped the divider they shattered and flew of the car leaving him standing on his brakes grinding to a stop.

If you guys like i can upload pics of the wheel centers which were still attached to the car.
That's horrible! I hope he is okay. I do want to see some pics... must have been quite scary! And yes... Ive realized forged is the way to go. I put up a thread selling/trading my rims for some MORRS or HREs
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Just keep in mind, a poorly designed forged wheel is not as good as a well designed cast wheel. That's why I keep preaching VIA/JWL/TUV certification is MUCH more important that weather it's "forged" or not.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Jhenka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN_GT View Post
That's horrible! I hope he is okay. I do want to see some pics... must have been quite scary! And yes... Ive realized forged is the way to go. I put up a thread selling/trading my rims for some MORRS or HREs
Pics are below. Thankfully he's fine a bit shaken but nothing serious.
IMO if your spending that much on a car don't cheap out on the one thing well 4 things that keep your car on the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
SDf10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 YMB M3

Oh crap! That looks terrible. Wonder if he was driving crazy or what caused this to happen. Anyway, glad i went with Morr.
      04-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

Something about that pic just tells me there was some wickedly wild driving involved!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
waiting
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJhenka View Post

What do you mean clipping a divider? A hard enough hit will shatter any wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
Jhenka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06 View Post
Something about that pic just tells me there was some wickedly wild driving involved!
Not at all, he was only doing around 60-70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting View Post
What do you mean clipping a divider? A hard enough hit will shatter any wheel.
Thats why I posted here, it wasn't a hard hit at all. He clipped the divider with barely any force. You can't really see from the pictures I posted but the side took almost no damage, the rims flying of the car on the other hand caused more damage than the divider lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #17
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2

Anyone have updates on their Vossen wheel experience?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #18
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

You should search other forums where more people run Vossen's

Like someone pretty much said already they are overpriced cast wheels. They demand a premium because they have a very good marketing team promoting their products. Pretty wheels but don't expect them to be anything more.

Alan
      03-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #19
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shehatezme View Post
To be honest, they are overpriced for cast wheels. If i was going to spend less than $2K, I would go for VMR wheels with tires. Otherwise, I would step it up and spend $3.5k-4K on some used forged wheels. I priced out CV7s and it was about $3K with TPMS. I much rather spend the extra $1K-1.5K for a nice used set of forged wheels. At the price range of $2K-3K, you are at some overpriced cast wheels.
Well said sir
Appreciate 0