M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

06-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
wer1337
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M5

Leather Protection Solution

Hi guys,
I'm new to this stuff so please help me out.

The Car:
2014 F10 M5 MCB with champagne merino leather interior and piano black.

The Climate:
The car is located in a tropical climate (Jakarta, Indonesia). The weather here is very humid and hot. Temperatures range from 28 - 34 degrees celsius. We get a lot of heavy torrential rain (monsoons).

The situation:
I'm trying to find a good leather care product that works well in this sorta climate. In particular I am afraid of dye transfer from dark jeans onto the leather. I have looked at many products all of which seem to be selling me the same stuff. For example: Leather Master Ink Stop, Leather Master Leather Barrier, Leather Master Protection Cream. All these products seem to be doing the same job. Thus which one should I choose? Can I use these products together (ie. use Ink stop and then slap on a coat of Protection Cream)? How easy are these products to apply? In this sort of climate, will the heat and humidity cause these protections to feel sticky (think body moisturizer on damp skin)? Other products I have been recommended are Pinnacle Leather and Vinyl
Cleaner and Wolfgang’s Cockpit Trim Sealant. However, this product does not say anything about preventing dye transfer.

Any help, advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

I have only used the Leather Master products and they have worked well (didn't leave any significant gloss , but will take some time to to dry and remove any glossy "residue")
I have not used the Wolf's product but a friend who owns a detailing business has and his feedback has been that it will leave a "slight" gloss.
I am using Zaino Leather Cleaner/Protection and the Swissvax product line (http://www.swissvax.us/usa/leather-care.html) , in particular http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...e=LEATHER-CARE and http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...e=LEATHER-CARE but I am also very careful with cloth/stains so not at high risk .
Your environment is certainly a little more challenging given the weather and humidity (lived in Singapore for a few months and not missing the humidity )
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
wer1337
Rep

Oh sweet. Okay about the Leather Master products, did you use them while you were in Singapore? Between the different Leather Master products (such as Leather Master Ink Stop, Leather Master Leather Barrier, Leather Master Protection Cream), what are the differences? Which one should I choose (all of them)? Also I am assuming the champagne merino leather for the BMW F10 M5 is an Aniline or Protected leather?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Peiper
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 535d

how is the leather so far? I have similar interior as you but mine looks awful. Which cleaning solution are you using right now?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
wer1337
Rep

So far my leather is doing good. No complaints so far. I used swissvax. But I am thinking of trying out some of Leather Master's cleaners. Which products are you using?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
chizi
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2012 Hamann

check out chemical guys from the US their products work amazing. im located in Dubai and use their product on my car and have never had better results
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
http://www.autogeek.net and get leather master its ace stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
wer1337
Rep

Yeah. I was definitely looking at Leather Master's stuff. However they have many products and I am confused as to which one I should buy.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #9
absix
Mu mu muh muli, maikouuu!
Rep
Drives: F10 M5; F25 2.0d;

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766240

Check out stealth.pilot's posts in this thread.