E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Greetings everyone, couple of questions: exhaust, i-drive

06-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
krischius
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i AT

Greetings everyone, couple of questions: exhaust, i-drive

Greetings everyone!

I've bought my BMW 2006 e90 325i (from US) sedan a couple of months ago and I have a couple of questions about it:

1. How to distinguish whether my car has a sport package?

2. My car doesn't have a screen (the big display in the middle of the panel) and so the i-drive system. What parts of the interior do I have to buy to make my car from non-i-drive to i-drive? The screen in the e90's really makes the interior look more futuristic and luxurious, so even though before buying the car I thought I didn't need this system, now I really want to have it in my car.

3. I want to change the tips of my exhaust to nothing fancy but the same as the exhaust is now, only the tips should be made out of nickel (I guess the silver shiny material is called nickel in english right? ) I don't want to spend much money on the exhaust of my car so I am considering of buying the exhaust tips and deleting the resonator. Would that get the same effect as buying the whole exhaust for 300-400$? Cause I believe the tips would cost 50-100$ and deleting the resonator would also cost about 50$, so I would like to know if the result would be familiar to buying the whole exhaust? Maybe someone has tried to experiment like this? Also, maybe you know any exhaust tips that are suitable by size for the e90 (some links, ebay or smth)?

I know, my car is completely stock, but I love the exterior just the way it is, I do not find the all-black grills on a black car attractive, also, in my country, the roads are tragical and so, putting on some body kit or bumpers that would be lower than the stock ones would be silly.

So guys thanks for the answers, and I am really happy of joining the community of BMW lovers. I hope I will become useful for the community some time later as today my knowledge of the car is very little.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
krischius
Lithuania
Rep

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-1-4...Q5fAccessories

Will these tips fit my stock 325i 2006 mufflers?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

welcome mate! remember to put up some pics when you get the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
krischius
Lithuania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
welcome mate! remember to put up some pics when you get the time.
will sure do
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

1. Do you have the extendable thigh support piece on the bottom, front part of the seat? That's the easiest way to tell...

2. Trying to convert non-iDrive to iDrive will be alot of cash for parts, labor (if you're not doing it yourself) and programming. I would've tried to find a car that had it from the factory, it's not worth trying to retrofit it IMO.

3. If you don't care about the sound or (marginal) performance benefits of a full exhaust system, just buy the tips, it will look a whole lot better than stock.
      06-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
2. Trying to convert non-iDrive to iDrive will be alot of cash for parts, labor (if you're not doing it yourself) and programming. I would've tried to find a car that had it from the factory, it's not worth trying to retrofit it IMO.
+1 I'm not sure what's involved, but I can tell it's a MAJOR project.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
krischius
Lithuania
Rep

Thanks for the replies,

I thought that the idrive technical part is something like a plug n play thing where certain wires just have to be plugged in to the main computer, while the parts of interior that must be changed can be easily located and changed by myself. Guess that it is not that simple...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
krischius
Lithuania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
1. Do you have the extendable thigh support piece on the bottom, front part of the seat? That's the easiest way to tell...

3. If you don't care about the sound or (marginal) performance benefits of a full exhaust system, just buy the tips, it will look a whole lot better than stock.
1. No, sadly I don't..
3. If the resonator is deleted, does it feel like the exhaust sounds cheap in reality or is it almost indistinguishable from a 300$ full exhaust? Performance doesn't bother me, but the sound is very important...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischius View Post
3. If the resonator is deleted, does it feel like the exhaust sounds cheap in reality or is it almost indistinguishable from a 300$ full exhaust? Performance doesn't bother me, but the sound is very important...
My car is pretty much stock so I don't really know. I would look on youtube for some sound clips of different systems. The sound won't be perfect but it should give you an idea.