E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > HELP?!? Need replacments soon and info would be appreciated.

06-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
VincentCloudX07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006-325i

Exclamation HELP?!? Need replacments soon and info would be appreciated.

So a went to the dealer about a weak ago and they floated me all these repairs that i needed. So i have a couple of questions, any information would be appreciated.
One of the repairs was the Oil filter housing gasket, which from what I read, doesn't seem too hard. I have a 2006 325i sports edition 6sp manual, and from what i have read, some of the cars have some variation on steps due to different parts such as removal of different things like the fan or inter cooler (i think that what i read.)
My question is, has anyone changed this out on their car that is the same model that i own and that can help me with any variations you encountered, or just letting me know that there aren't any variations.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476419
That's the DIY guide that I found so if it's just step by step to this guide please let me know. I don't feel like paying the dealer $500 bucks for something i could do myself. I'm not a expert but i can definitely follow directions.
Also, should i do a coolant flush with this replacement or any other changes of oil and so on? I just changed my oil a month ago, but I haven't done a coolant flush or change since I've owned the car, which is about 2 years now.
One member who is now banned named Eninty did this replacement on the same model, if your on here or someone knows his new name, please point me to him as well if any of you can.
The other part of the problem i had with the replacements needed was in consideration to the output shaft seal, and the oil fuel flow shaft seal? I'm not sure if those are the correct names but as soon as i get home today i will grab the quote and correct the names if need be.
In order to replace these two small parts, the mechanic would have to take out the transmission (4.1 hours of labor for the whole replacement.) Normally i would think ok makes sense, just something i have to get replaced and deal with the rip off from the stealership, but that's were previous work from the dealer comes in.
About 2 1/2 weeks before this quote for replacement of the seals, I had my whole clutch assembly replaced (flywheel, clutch, the works.) From what i understand, in order to replace all of that, they had to take out the transmission and then reassemble and put everything back. Well I then noticed that every once and a while when trying to go into first gear from a stop, i just couldn't get it to go into gear, and i would have to let the car roll back to get into gear. I went back and had the dealership check it, but they said they could duplicate the symptom (ok i can understand this since its a hit or miss type of thing.) They then came back with all these repairs, and it just seemed fishy since it was a transmission repair and they just took the transmission out.
Needless to say I went to another dealer on my trip to Utah to check it out and long story short, they said that i did indeed have the leak, but that there is no way the other mechanic wouldn't have seen the leak upon doing my clutch. Difference is about $500 dollars in labor due to taking out the transmission. Went back to dealer and used the same mechanic as reference so that i could get them to bite the repair due to not noticing it, and when i called him he then changed and said "Well i can't confirm or deny that the leak was there, but it seemed like it had been there for awhile." GREAT they then used this as ammunition saying "well he cant confirm it." Bull crap right? I'm pretty sure they called this mechanic in Utah due to the fact that i accidentally told them which dealer i went to before meeting with them (the mechanic now in idaho used to work at the utah dealership i guess from what i was told, fishy.)Well their solution is reducing the labor charge from $110 a hour to $70 a hour. Am i getting screwed here?
Well thanks for reading this book of a post, and any help would be greatly appreciated If you need any clarification on any of my details just let me know. thanks again!