F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Coding in the UK
ARMA SPEED

07-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Tr0y
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F33 428i M Sport Convertible

Coding in the UK

Hi there,

I'm fairly new here, I've just taken delivery of an F33 428i M Sport Convertible and I'm curious about the coding side of things.

All the other cars I drive have digital speed reading which is what prompted this and I am fairly IT competent however coding was never a speciality of mine.

Is there a company in the UK that can code things for me? Or is there anybody who is feeling generous enough to give me a hand? I have signed up on the coding forums however it has been nearly a week and they haven't approved my account to enable me to post yet!

I would really appreciate a bit of help as most of the equipment I can find is in America!

Thanks,

Zak
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

You can get cables from eBay and download the software if you know where to look. However, I see you're in Leicester. Do you want to PM me as I'm also in Leicester and I could help you out?

Paul

Last edited by PaulT_M5; 07-31-2014 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: Predictive text typo
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_335i View Post
You can get cables from eBay and download the software if you know where to look. However, I see you're in Leicester. Do you want to PM me as I'm also in Leicester and I could help you out?

Paul
Two new Leicester boys. We are expanding!

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr0y View Post
Hi there,

I'm fairly new here, I've just taken delivery of an F33 428i M Sport Convertible and I'm curious about the coding side of things.

All the other cars I drive have digital speed reading which is what prompted this and I am fairly IT competent however coding was never a speciality of mine.

Is there a company in the UK that can code things for me? Or is there anybody who is feeling generous enough to give me a hand? I have signed up on the coding forums however it has been nearly a week and they haven't approved my account to enable me to post yet!

I would really appreciate a bit of help as most of the equipment I can find is in America!

Thanks,

Zak

Paul, do u have a token as I might be interested too. I have the cable and Esys software and just coded EBT as u need token for other things.

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

I do have a token :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Lovely car do you have any pics
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
I do have a token :-)
That's good. Any one up for a Leicester coding session for beer tokens?

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Lovely car do you have any pics
Pics of whose car?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #9
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

I've had a PM from sometime else local too, so it may be worth sorting out a session at a local establishment. For anyone interested, please pm me your location (village or area of city is sufficient) and I'll arrange somewhere convenient for all.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Tr0y
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies! I would totally love a Leicester coding session!! Perhaps I could facilitate as I have the space to accommodate plenty of cars on my drive.

It's nice to know that there are some locals here, I was quite prominent in the Mini scene some time ago and used to go to lots of events and meets but there weren't many Leicester based folk at all.

I've tried to upload some pics here:

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies! I would totally love a Leicester coding session!! Perhaps I could facilitate as I have the space to accommodate plenty of cars on my drive.

It's nice to know that there are some locals here, I was quite prominent in the Mini scene some time ago and used to go to lots of events and meets but there weren't many Leicester based folk at all.

I've tried to upload some pics here:

Very nice car! I would have had one of those if they were around and in 6 pot when I ordered my car.

Happy to get together for a coding session. Just need someone with a token.

My vehicle is due for its first service in around a month so not sure if Sytner Leicester will reset the system and delete the coding? I therefore don't know whether to wait? Perhaps other members could clarify this?

So where in Leicestershire do u live Troy? City or surrounding villages?

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #12
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

Your coding should only get overwritten if they need to re-code or update the software on any of the ECU's you've coded as part of the service.

Generally, this is only done for recalls or to fix specific issues you are having and not done as a matter of cause due to the time it takes, so you should be okay.

Providing you follow the steps for doing the coding, it isn't particularly difficult to achieve. I am more than happy to show how to do it yourself when we have a get together. All you need to purchase are the cable and a token, everything else can be obtained for free and then you can redo the coding at your leisure.

FWIW, my car is in next week for a faulty parking sensor, so I've removed the visible changes I made prior to taking it in so as not to draw obvious attention to the fact it's been coded.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #13
Tr0y
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickieGibbo View Post
Very nice car! I would have had one of those if they were around and in 6 pot when I ordered my car.

Happy to get together for a coding session. Just need someone with a token.

My vehicle is due for its first service in around a month so not sure if Sytner Leicester will reset the system and delete the coding? I therefore don't know whether to wait? Perhaps other members could clarify this?

So where in Leicestershire do u live Troy? City or surrounding villages?

Dickie
I initially ordered a 430d coupe but got messed around by the dealer, cancelled it and by that point the convertible was available to order so I switched.

I would have loved a 6 pot but the 430d wasn't available on a convertible unfortunately and the 435 would have killed me on P11d!

I'm in the city, how about yourself?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #14
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
I initially ordered a 430d coupe but got messed around by the dealer, cancelled it and by that point the convertible was available to order so I switched.

I would have loved a 6 pot but the 430d wasn't available on a convertible unfortunately and the 435 would have killed me on P11d!

I'm in the city, how about yourself?
Hi Troy,

I live out near Newton Linford so not a problem coming into Leicester. I have car allowance so p11d does not affect me thus the 330d.

Guess we need a token first from tokenmaster and then arrange a meet. Happy to meet at yours as u are pretty central to other members in the area. I will PM tokenmaster to obtain the token for coding anything we want.

I have lots of data from the forum on what can be coded and can't wait to get started.

I would really appreciate PaulT_335i help if he would be up for a coding session too, as our local expert.

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 02:47 AM   #15
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

I have 3 people interested in a get together: Troy, Dickie and Steve.

I've got the latest psdzdata which I can bring along on a USB stick to save downloading it if that helps.

I'm available this Saturday afternoon if that's of any interest.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 04:34 AM   #16
Tr0y
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickieGibbo View Post
Hi Troy,

I live out near Newton Linford so not a problem coming into Leicester. I have car allowance so p11d does not affect me thus the 330d.

Guess we need a token first from tokenmaster and then arrange a meet. Happy to meet at yours as u are pretty central to other members in the area. I will PM tokenmaster to obtain the token for coding anything we want.

I have lots of data from the forum on what can be coded and can't wait to get started.

I would really appreciate PaulT_335i help if he would be up for a coding session too, as our local expert.

Dickie
I could have done that too but I've actually contract hired the car and get to give it back and get a new one after 24 months which suits me as i get bored easily! Also all maintenance is included which makes budgeting easier, and personal mileage too so I just get given a credit card, hence no need for expenses!

I'll take your word for it on the token, I have no idea what that means, I'll do some more reading on the coding between now and Saturday, which I am good for.

Do I need to order a cable? If so where can I order it from?

Are the rest of you ok to meet here? I'm flexible, just thought it would be easy as it's central with ample room and a fast internet connection should we need it!

Troy
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 04:59 AM   #17
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

I will bring laptop, software, cable and my token so we can do the coding anyway - my only other requirement will be the car to code and maybe an extension lead for charging the laptop depending upon how long the session takes with 2 or 3 cars.

My plan is to show you how it is done as it really isn't that scary, then if you feel capable of doing it yourself, you can get the cable and token at your leisure in the future should you need to.

What I suggest is beforehand take a look at the F30 coding database app
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=882590 and decide what you would like to code.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
I will bring laptop, software, cable and my token so we can do the coding anyway - my only other requirement will be the car to code and maybe an extension lead for charging the laptop depending upon how long the session takes with 2 or 3 cars.

My plan is to show you how it is done as it really isn't that scary, then if you feel capable of doing it yourself, you can get the cable and token at your leisure in the future should you need to.

What I suggest is beforehand take a look at the F30 coding database app
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=882590 and decide what you would like to code.
That's a shame. I am on holiday tomorrow until Sunday Evening. I do have a cable and esys files. Perhaps include me in the next get together if you have one.

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #19
Tr0y
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

I have downloaded the software and have a spare laptop to have a play around with too, could you point me in the direction to get the cable and token please? I wouldn't mind just ordering them anyway.

Extension lead is no probs, I've even got a charger for the car should we need it, I can imagine the coding can use a lot of the cars power too.

I'll take a look at the app and make a little list.

That is a shame Dickie, we can always do another one or I can show you what I learn!

Paul, if it is just me then I could come to you to save you the journey into the city if you prefer. Let me know either way.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #20
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep

These might help

Instructions
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=696777

Token
http://tokenmaster.blogspot.co.uk
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=938746

OBD2 Cable:

http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/shop/index.php?

If u google this lots of people sell them. Including on eBay.

Regards

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #21
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

No fault was found for my parking sensor so the car has been updated to the latest software today. This didn't fix it and I showed them the problem which was then fixed while I waited by replacing the faulty sensor.

Following the update, my EBT coding is still there, but everything else has been reset so I have to code it again.

With regard to the get together, we can leave it to the weekend after if you want, but it will have to be the Sunday (17th) as I'm at work on the Saturday?

Paul
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #22
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
No fault was found for my parking sensor so the car has been updated to the latest software today. This didn't fix it and I showed them the problem which was then fixed while I waited by replacing the faulty sensor.

Following the update, my EBT coding is still there, but everything else has been reset so I have to code it again.

With regard to the get together, we can leave it to the weekend after if you want, but it will have to be the Sunday (17th) as I'm at work on the Saturday?

Paul
I can make the 17th (in the morning preferably ? ) and I near Loughborough so can come to you Paul no probs.

I have a laptop, esys files & cable (already enabled EBT successfully) ,but no token yet so a lesson on coding will be brilliant. I will then invest in the token.

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0