E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > e90 328i sedan custom rear deck for 6x9 component Speakers

12-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
scorppion
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
e90 328i sedan custom rear deck for 6x9 component Speakers

Hi guys this is my first diy that im writing up so please bare with me.. Lol

So i was fed up with the rear component speakers in my 07 328i with the hifi sound package. The speakers in the back were originally tiny 4" components with a separate 1" tweeter. After looking long and hard on how i could modify the rear deck for the 6x9 components. I FOUND NOTHING. I had a brand new pair of kickers ds693 i had on hand that i was going to use in my Tahoe but decided that it would be better used in the bimmer since i drive it the most. Thus i decided to be a pioneer of the audio land and chop up my rear deck hopping i could get improve the mid bass and overall loudness inside the cabin.

First i would like to thank bluelake for his great write up of the amplifier wiring guide which i have used over and over again!! Thank you
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949

Secondly i would like the thank Lagunae92 for his write up on how to remove that rear shelf in the e90 series, even though his car is an m3 the concept of how the rear deck is assembled is the same for the most part.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533313

Now to get started on the Diy

Basic tools/suplies
Bondo body filler
Bondo fiberglass Resin
3/4 mdf
3m 90 spray adhesive X2
old shirt or fleece blanket
fleece and suede fabric to fit the rear deck
power drill
jigsaw
sander
angle grinder
50,80,120 grit sand paper
screws

at the end i spend about $40 for the resin and fabric since i had everything else

After i had the rear deck in the garage i started cutting out the hole i need to fit the 6x9 components. You want to be sure that you triple check the position of the speaker so it clears the rear glass and the sheet metal on the actuall rear deck in the car since the speakers i choose were about 3 inches deeper than the oem 4" speakers

Make sure that you test fit the speaker I cannot stress about that enough

Then what you need to do is support the mdf ring you made for the speaker, what i did was cut some 1/2 x 1/2 strips of mdf and added it to the back side of the ring, to the entire assembely together before you fiber glass it just use hot glue since its durable enough and dries quickly.

After you have the rings in place make sure you test fit it in the car to be %100 sure that you will have no fitment issues. I know its a pain in the ass goin back and forth but you want to be safe than sorry.

Now what you need to do is find some old shirt that you will use as a substrate for your fiberglass enclosure. What you want to do is cut it big enough and somwhat of the same size for both of the sides. when you lay it over spray it down first with some fabric adhesive but do not saturate it so your fiberglass resin can still flow thtough the layers with no problems

Now you can mix up your resin and pour it over the fabric but dont push too hard down with your brush or you might wrinkle the speaker pod and it wont look to good, just take your time becouse this will be your foundation for the body work that comes ahead.

Once that is done let it cure overnight so the resin gets hard and fully bonds to the orignal rear deck

Now you need to mix up your body filler and get the speaker pods to basically blend in with the original deck this step took the longest but i was able to save a lot of sanding time by using my grinder with a 50 grit flexible sanding disk. i highly recommend this since you will be able to shape your body filler to the curves that you need faster than using regular disk sander... This picture is of it done and hand sanded to make it smooth

Now that all the hard work is done you need to take the piece out to your car again and test fit it!!!!

Now that it all fits you are about to do something no man has ever done.. Go to jo-Ann or any of your fabric store you have in the neighbrhood and loose your manliness for a few minutes since you will be the only guy in there i guarantee it
Pick your self up 1 piece of beige fleece which you will use as your underlayment and 1 piece of suede along with 2 cans of 3m 90 spray adhesive high strenght.

Now you want to spray your rear deck and also the fabric and let it flash before you join the 2 pieces down together. It helps if you have somebody helping you since it will make the job alot easier but its possible to do it on your own but use common sence and work fast.

Now i would recomend you leave the piece alone for 24hrs or even less if you leave it in the sun so the glue cures and bonds completly to the rear deck before you lay your suede over.

Back in the car and i also painted the speaker grills beige so it would match better.

The reason why i stressed so much about test fiting the rear deck so many times is becouse I DIDNT and when it came time to put my speakers in i noticed that there is no way for me to fit a drill/screwdriver barely my hand along the back window to screw the speaker down but i figured it out in the end.

I have not had time to put back the plastic trim pieces that go around the seat belts but i will post finall pictures later this week.
Appreciate 0