BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

People in NJ with Catless DPs...

What area do you live in and have you ever really gotten any trouble for it?

I want to get some, but I live in a smaller town in northern NJ where the cops don't have much to do in the way of real cop duties. Bored police = no fun for motorists.

So.. I'm a little worried to run them and get "caught" but I haven't really heard of anyone really getting caught with them. Any idea how much of a hassle it is around here?

Also, IIRC the emissions test is ODB only, no sniffer. And no mechanical inspection any more, either. So.. no need to swap the downpipes. However, do you need the BMS DP fix any more? I know you used to, even with a JB4, but now on the BMS website it says this functionality is included in the JB4.. but I did a quick search and people still talk about needing the DP fix because the JB4 clears the codes automatically, but as it does that you can't get "readiness" because it keeps clearing everything... so you would still need the DP fix? Just a little confused as to how this works.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
bigEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Just get them and stop your worrying already!
AUTOcouture Motoring| 15-01 Pollitt Drive #6 | Fair Lawn, NJ 07410 | P: 201.666.3500 | ACMallday@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigEC View Post
Just get them and stop your worrying already!
Okay

Now...to find somewhere to put em on...

Though, seriously. Anyone else in NJ can still chime in on this issue haha.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
AM1N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

where do you live? Tenafly here, so i know what youre talking about hahah
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
rathissolid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6speed

I live in Bergen county, no problems, I'm sure you will be ok, and yes you need the dp fix to pass emissions, if you have the jb4 on the emissions tester won't be able to communicate with the ecu and you will fail for it
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM1N View Post
where do you live? Tenafly here, so i know what youre talking about hahah
Wow, I'm sorry I never saw your post. This thread is pretty old and since then I've put the DPs on. I'm in Ringwood/West Milford, but I go everywhere. All around Passaic, Bergen, Essex, Hudson, and Rockland/Orange counties in NY too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathissolid View Post
I live in Bergen county, no problems, I'm sure you will be ok, and yes you need the dp fix to pass emissions, if you have the jb4 on the emissions tester won't be able to communicate with the ecu and you will fail for it
Thanks for the reply! I've put them on and no cops have really cared. That's what I was worried about the most since in the area where I live is actually pretty rural (ringwood/west milford, as mentioned above) and the cops get bored. My inspection's next summer so I have almost a year to figure out what I'll do (either buy the DP fix or just swap out these Racelands and then upgrade). Thanks again!

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
How do you like the race lands? Fit and finish? I'm very close to buying a custom catless dp/mid pipe combo so I am very excited!!
      09-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungE30 View Post
How do you like the race lands? Fit and finish? I'm very close to buying a custom catless dp/mid pipe combo so I am very excited!!
frank you've had your cats in this whole time? I always thought you were catless haha.

But the racelands are swell. Not outstanding... not terrible... just swell.

The sound is good. With my Berk midpipes and sport axleback the rasp isn't bad at all. At a little under 2K RPMs if I mash the pedal in high gear I can get this SUPER loud, raspy rumble which probably makes bystanders poop themselves. Other than that the sound is pretty smooth. Up top the car roars.

The fit was pretty bad though. I emailed raceland ahead of time and they gave me a guarantee that these would fit. When I installed them, they rattled together and I wasn't happy. The shop had to spot weld them in a few spots to prevent the rattle. It ended up being close to 5 hours of labor but the shop felt bad they only quoted me for 2, so they ended up just charging 2 1/2 hours. That's Eurotech MS in Mahwah, they're absolutely awesome.

Performance-wise, I like them a lot. I don't really see the need for 3" pipes unless I want like 10 more HP. Which I don't. Because now with the meth and these DPs it's getting really difficult to actually launch the car in any respectable way. When I would drive with music on, I would tend to tap my foot just very lightly with the beat on the gas pedal and it wouldn't really matter because the pedal and engine weren't sensitive enough to really react to my light tapping. Now I can't do it. Even a very light press on the gas will give me a bump in RPM. I love how much better the car responds and how little lag there is. Overall, since I did the meth first, I can't accurately gauge how much overall power the pipes gave me (though I do notice it's a nice bump up), but the best thing is the sound and responsiveness now. No trouble from cops, either. It's a bit stinky, but not TOO bad. SO DO IT!!! GET SOME DPS (or that custom combo!)!! Worth it!

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathissolid View Post
You've passed nj inspection with DPs and bms dp fix?
I have cobb.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
rathissolid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
You've passed nj inspection with DPs and bms dp fix?
I have cobb.
Yup, remove the cop, add the dp fix and you should be good to go, i was ... Just check the readyness codes b4 you go if you can. Ive heard some people had to play with the number on the dp fix to make it read correctly, but mine worked without any issue !
Appreciate 0