E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > worth using FM modulator for USB?

09-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
perzonal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Question worth using FM modulator for USB?

Hi guys!

I've been missing to be able to listen to music in car via USB for a long time now. Also I miss to see what song I am actually listening to without getting my Ipod and to control my music via the steeringwheel buttons.

Also I've been looking for a good solution to add USB in car but the OEM process is quite expensive and needs a lot of work done. So I've been looking for other solutions like Dension etcetera. But even dension needs coding and since Im not really comfortable with coding a pretty new car myself I would need someone else to do it for me = more search for a good guy + more expense.

Anyway, after looking for long I finally found a product that may be the solution for me. It is a FM Modulator, a piece of hardware that connects between your antenna and antenna input. This hardware will let you see what you're listening to via RDS, let you use USB and also let you use your steeringwheel buttons to control your music!

So... what is the product I'm talking about? Well, its called "Maestro 2.0" and is a universal solution that you can add to any carstereo.

Besides of beeing pretty cheap it seems awsome!

But, there is a but! What do you "experts" think about this kind of solution? Will the audio be clear? It should be since its actually not transmitting anything via FM that your car catch up?

Link: http://www.paser.it/en/p/275/Maestro_20/

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

I tried an FM modulator with my XM satellite radio in an Audi a few years ago, and it didn't work at all. I'm outside of Philadelphia, PA, USA, and most of the FM frequencies are used.

I just remembered that I tried the FM solution with a Zune (don't laugh!), and it didn't work there either.

Have you tried the headphone output? It works OK in my E92.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
perzonal
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Hi, thanks for your input. For the moment I am using my auxiliary input for my ipod and im contrtolling it via a small remote. But I would like to get rid of it and be able to use my steering wheel buttons meanwhile I can see what im playing at my oem hu. I also want usb.

Hence i got quite interested in this product. Its cheaper than dension etc and does whst I want.

Do you think the audio quality would be just as with a fm transmitter even though this is hardwired?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Try it out, but be sure you can return it if it does not meet your requirements.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
yatzee
Retired TDI guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I personally CANNOT STAND any music via FM transmitter. The quality is terrible and it drives me nuts. I love music, but I'd rather have none than listen very poor quality.

Hard wired is the only way. I ended up paying for the BMW kit.
      09-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
perzonal
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Thanks for your inputs. After talking to others too I decided to skip this option and went for Parrot MKI 9200 with Unika instead. It costs about the same money and feels like a safer option

Sahi
Appreciate 0