F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Best way to access 150GB music collection on iDrive 4.2
Studio RSR

11-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Silurian69
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d GT

Best way to access 150GB music collection on iDrive 4.2

Hi. Have a new BMW F34 on order with the Navigation Pro package, enhanced bluetooth, HK sound system and all the other iDrive options. I have a large music collection of about 160GB in size, the majority in Apple Lossless format, stored within iTunes on my Mac. I wanted to access this music from within the car. My question is, what is the best approach:
  • Buy an iPod Classic 160GB and connect through USB? But I've read many accounts of issues with this iPod locking up, although mainly on older versions of iDrive.
  • 256GB USB memory stick
  • iPod touch or phone, with much smaller library
Ideally I would want to retain the Lossless encoding, but could transcode to MP3 if necessary. Would want a digital rather than analogue connection into the hifi.

Any advice or experiences much appreciated. I can't find any online documentation that provides any technical guidance on the art of the possible here.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

I'm not sure how big our hard drives are in these things but what I did was buy a 160 GB iPod classic to transfer the songs from my laptop to my car hard drive. My buddy uses a memory stick in his and it works really well. I've never had any issues when using my iPod or hard drive so I wouldn't worry. I don't think there's a way to access your cloud files remotely, though. That would be pretty cool!
Appreciate 0