F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Anyone shoot with a Leica?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Anyone shoot with a Leica?

I'm moving away from dslr and going with a Leica M. The ME is $5450 and has the classic ccd sensor. The new M is $7000 with a cmos sensor and live view which allows macro and tele lenses to be attached plus it's weather sealed. I do mostly macro stuff yet I want the ccd sensor so I don't know which I'm getting yet.

Anybody shoot with a M9, ME, or M?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

i've shot with film only + scanning. IMO if you are going to go that route rent a digital leica or get an old M3 + a lens to test first. There are so many limitations that it gets annoying at times with the digital. Color rendition is kind of bad on the M9, but if you were going to get an M9 you would probably edit anyway, so this is a non issue. Since you said mostly macro, you probably don't need any kind of low light high iso performance (which the M9 does not have). With Macro it isn't likely you are going to are going to miss autofocus.

But if you are going to shoot macro, the only drawback i would say is the lack of any truly long lenses (not sure what kind of macro you're into). Not sure if it supports high speed sync either (someone can correct me on this if it does).

I will say that it's a pretty good shooting experience though, that is something you can't do on an slr. Also, if you're going for macro I would definitely go the route of a newer model that can use the EVF if for focus peeking only.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by druu
i've shot with film only + scanning. IMO if you are going to go that route rent a digital leica or get an old M3 + a lens to test first. There are so many limitations that it gets annoying at times with the digital. Color rendition is kind of bad on the M9, but if you were going to get an M9 you would probably edit anyway, so this is a non issue. Since you said mostly macro, you probably don't need any kind of low light high iso performance (which the M9 does not have). With Macro it isn't likely you are going to are going to miss autofocus.

But if you are going to shoot macro, the only drawback i would say is the lack of any truly long lenses (not sure what kind of macro you're into). Not sure if it supports high speed sync either (someone can correct me on this if it does).

I will say that it's a pretty good shooting experience though, that is something you can't do on an slr. Also, if you're going for macro I would definitely go the route of a newer model that can use the EVF if for focus peeking only.
Yeah I think I'm going to have to get the newer model so I can focus close up for macro. There are new extension tubes available for macro plus adapters to use non-m lenses so I can use tele as well as macro on the new one. It would be fun to also get an M3 for some film shooting as well which would probably really help train my eye and make my digital work even better.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
My friend Helmut shoots mostly with an M9 and gets stunning results. Don't worry about colors. Shoot in Raw and control your colors, contrast, etc.

Here's a link to Helmut's work:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/249733...h/14280167462/
      05-28-2014, 02:05 AM   #5
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

Curious why you want the Leica for macro work? Does not seem to be an ideal match.
Appreciate 0