F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > If you make a EuroDelivery take care on the German Autobahn
proTUNING Freaks

03-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
If you make a EuroDelivery take care on the German Autobahn

Should you be doing a ED be sure to watch your speed on the German Autobahn.

Fatalities on the German Autobahn are up this year by 10% this is very alarming. Police naturally is taking steps to reduce this and fines are quite expensive.

Police is patrolling the Autobahn with unmarked cars, mostly fast and modified BMW's Traveling at above posted speeds in our cars as we all know is easily done. Be prepared to pay heavily if you are stopped.

Here is an example of two fellows from Amsterdam exceeding the speedlimit posted near the outskirts of a city:

Prior to entering the city limits there was no speed limit posted, the fellows overtook cars on the right hand side then followed other cars too close for comfort at speeds over 130 MPH. All this is recorded on video by the police. Then they continued thru the area of the city limits at the same speed of 130 MPH even though speed limit was posted at 70 MPH as a maximum.

The police then flagged them down and the fellows from Amsterdam had to follow them to the next Rest Stop. They then were shown the video and charged. The charge included 1 week suspension of the drivers licence. Since they were not German they had to pay for the 1 week suspension of the drivers licence along with the fine for the speed and the over taking of cars on the right as well as following too close. The bill was over 500 Euros. Payable on the spot. ATM machines are at every Rest Stop they had to get the cash and pay on the spot.

Another fellow (a German) was speeding thru posted speed zones, he traveled at 240 KM/Hr. also driving quite unsafe. His fine was 640 Euros and 3 weeks suspension of his licence. Everything is recorded on video.

Bottom line ... be safe and watch the posted speed signs.

Above all have a safe trip.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
spanner1751
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M sport sedan

During the GFs ED in 2007, we actively avoided the autobahn and searched for the twisty roads.
      03-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Top Tip and I drive on them a lot so thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bottle View Post
Top Tip and I drive on them a lot so thanks for the heads up
I saw the report last night on DW (Deutsche Welle TV Station) and felt I should share it. The two fellows from Amsterdam were on a winter holiday trip and I could see how it spoiled there holiday plans to hand over that cash to the police on the spot. Germans have more time they can drive home and then have there day in court. Anyone not from Germany can expect to pay on the spot and if they cannot I am sure end up in jail.

Be safe out there and watch for the cray drivers.

Cheers, Rolf

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
Prior to entering the city limits there was no speed limit posted, the fellows overtook cars on the right hand side then followed other cars too close for comfort at speeds over 130 MPH. All this is recorded on video by the police.

Bottom line ... be safe and watch the posted speed signs.
Definitely a huge no, no to pass on the right! I don't know why it's acceptable here in the states (but that's another topic). You will be pulled over for that maneuver alone, without even speeding.

I can safely say that this has happened to me, several years ago. Plus, there is no way you can get out of the predicament. The evidence is all on video (it's clearly your car, your license plate), in my case it wasn't so severe I was clocked at 168km/h (or there about) in a 120km/h zone. I had a rental car, a Mercedes A class, the fine came out to about 200 Euro.

Watch your speed, be wary of the signage and lastly the best advice, watch the traffic. If the locals are going quickly, then go with it but don't be a nut, if you're not ready to pay the consequences. Listen to the radio (there are many publicly announced speed traps) that happen randomly as well. Also, don't drive like a nut in the city, if you think you haven't been caught, you well may have been caught on camera. There are lots of speed/camera traps specifically on bridges and tunnels.

In any case, this is my advice to those who've never been to Europe. The autobahn is not a free-for-all, no matter who've may have told you that, there are rules.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv View Post
Definitely a huge no, no to pass on the right! I don't know why it's acceptable here in the states (but that's another topic). You will be pulled over for that maneuver alone, without even speeding.

I can safely say that this has happened to me, several years ago. Plus, there is no way you can get out of the predicament. The evidence is all on video (it's clearly your car, your license plate), in my case it wasn't so severe I was clocked at 168km/h (or there about) in a 120km/h zone. I had a rental car, a Mercedes A class, the fine came out to about 200 Euro.

Watch your speed, be wary of the signage and lastly the best advice, watch the traffic. If the locals are going quickly, then go with it but don't be a nut, if you're not ready to pay the consequences. Listen to the radio (there are many publicly announced speed traps) that happen randomly as well. Also, don't drive like a nut in the city, if you think you haven't been caught, you well may have been caught on camera. There are lots of speed/camera traps specifically on bridges and tunnels.

In any case, this is my advice to those who've never been to Europe. The autobahn is not a free-for-all, no matter who've may have told you that, there are rules.
Thanks wdlv,

All the above is correct (as we say in German Tatsache). I just like to add, even if you are not stopped in the city for example you will have to pay the consequences. Everything is recorded no video and even if you are on your way back home in case of a rental car you will be charged automatically. So be on guard wherever you drive. There are no speed limits on the autobahn to a large extend, however, when they are posted the police will only give you 8 KM grace above the posted speed limit amount. So if you are stopped in a controlled posted city area where the posting is say 80 KMH and you are clocked at 128 KMH you pay a fine for 120 KMH depending on the way you drove (the officers opinion and there are always 2 of them) you may be charged for an additional fee to cover drivers licence suspension if you are a foreigner. The German police has tables, they look up your fine and you have to pay them cash.

Nice to have the account of someone that has been confronted with this. The TV program I watched this report on stressed the police is out in force to counter this 10% increase in fatalities on the Autobahn. Thanks wdlv for sharing your experience.

If this post only saves one of you from embarrassment to pay a fine. injury or even worst then the effort to post this here has not ben in vane.

Drive safely and watch out for the wild German or otherwise drivers and you be fine.

Cheers and safe & happy travels always,

Rolf-Dieter

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

thanks Rolf and to be fair their (German Police) only doing what they are paid to do so no complaints if you are caught
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bottle View Post
thanks Rolf and to be fair their (German Police) only doing what they are paid to do so no complaints if you are caught
Quite so as in the rest of the world, the main purpose of course of my message is to share and hope it prevents misfortune no matter what it might be

Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 04-23-2012 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

One other thing to note, is that this happens all the time, there are always unmarked police cars on the autobahn. They just may be ramping up now since there have been more fatalities on the roadways (didn't know). I mention this for the people who think that this is only happening now.

Enjoy yourself on the road but be safe so you can drive another day.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

good advice Rolf,we're taking notes.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

Don't use your high beams or left turn signal when you want someone to move over either. That is frowned upon and may lead to a violation.

Driving in Europe is not like the US. People there actually use the left lane to pass - and at very high speed. Don't sit in there too long because a faster car will always pass you.
      04-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Also be on your guard at rest stops there are people that will tell you sad stories like

"We damaged our credit card and cannot purchase gas we need money" then the try to give you fake gold rings and tell you "Please Mister here is my grandfathers ring I give it to you for 100 Euro ... wait I let you have it for 50 Euro" They hang out near the washrooms where there is plenty of traffic of people coming and going. I know I've encountered them several times even got burned once with there sad story. Never again once burned is enough. Don't fall for the sad stories they have to tell.

Some people feel bad for them and actually give them money ... then they overpower you with fake leather jackets (fake stuff from China) and try to take the rest of your money.

So be very careful.

They are organized gangs (Mafia from Italy) the police is after them, still they are everywhere.

Appreciate 0