E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Island County Fire Lane Laws/Code help...

10-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Question Island County Fire Lane Laws/Code help...

Right now i'm in a dispute about a parking ticket ($75 fine) i got for parking "Unauthorized Parking - Fire Lane" when the spots are not marked. 8 other people all got tickets that day due to lack of parking spaces and fire lane spots not clearly marked.

I've googled and googled and googled and the best thing i've found is FEDERAL WAY REVISED CODE Ch 8.55
According to this i can actually counter-sue them or, at the least, press charges on THEM for not maintaining properly marked spaces as per: 8.55.030 "Penalty of Violations" states: Any person who fails to mark or maintain the marking of a designated fire lane as prescribed in this chapter, or who parks a vehicle in, allows the parking of a vehicle in, obstructs or allows the obstruction of a designated fire lane is guilty of an infraction.

This is useful information, but i'm not sure that Seattle/Federal City laws/code apply to Island County/Oak Harbor

anyone have any insight?

Also, i've tried calling around, but no one opens up till 10:00am (it's only 8:25am right nw). -I'm just posting this in the meantime while i'm waiting to talk to the professionals.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Seem's we're the only early birds on right now. This sounds interesting. So there was no markings on the curb at all? If not then that would definitely be something to look into.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by atown88 View Post
Seem's we're the only early birds on right now. This sounds interesting. So there was no markings on the curb at all? If not then that would definitely be something to look into.
I'm digging around and i've found a lot of useful info.

My situation is that i got a citation on Base, so the city and federal magestrate doesn't apply to military jurisdiction. Though, i got to talk to the Fire Prevention department's Fire Inspector and got all the instructions and regulations that all point to the fact that i was wrongfully issued a false citation.

The F.I. also suggested i 'File for Discovery' on the citation as well - this would demand that i have everything the accuser has at the contest and would put me on an even playing field. Along with having this, i would verify he didn't misspell any words, he used the write citation (or the updated version), and anything of that matter. (he spelled my name wrong so that may be able to get the case thrown out already)

It can still be an 'iffy' case because there's still 'parking' regulations that have to be followed along with fire lane markings that are kind of counterproductive.... my case is next week... i think i'll be pretty thorough with my findings enough to keep my driving record clean
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Damn. Sounds like you have a good case then. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0