F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > I have a question for previous truck owners
Extreme Powerhouse

01-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
Rep
Drives: Something loud and heavy

I have a question for previous truck owners

Hello gents/ladies,

I am in process of scooping up a E90 and had a question. How does cost of maintenance stack up against diesel trucks? More? Less? Do i need to expand my budget? I been researching and researching but found little to nothing to answer my Q. I drive a slightly modded 08 powerstroke. Mechanically late model trucks (all diesels are doomed) are a disaster on 4 tires due to constant failures of emission equipment which leads to engine failures and makers are doing their best to refuse warranty repairs. So stuff like Idle control valve failing would be a significant change of pace for me in repair costs.

Here is my current maintenance cost breakdown:

Oil change---between 110 to 130ish pending on what oil i use that day.

Fuel filters and fuel system maintenance---about 50 bucks.

Batteries---$250 a pair

Trans fluid---About $300 pending on a place i go to

Differential fluid---$225

diesel additive---7 dollar a fill up

Monthly disel cost---Roughly 90 bucks a week if i stay out of the boost.

This thing needs a German brother to share garage space with
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
monza2t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, R52 Mini, F25 X3 x35

This is a wide open question.

Are you buying or leasing new? If so, maintenance is included for the period of the warranty / lease.

After that, maint would be about the same as you have now for fluids.

As for the comment on emissions controls and what not, Its hard for manufacturer's to deny emissions failure claims since the law requires they remedy them for 100,000 miles or 10 years. If you havent done the scheduled maintenance then thats the only time they can deny.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
Rep
Drives: Something loud and heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza2t View Post
This is a wide open question.

Are you buying or leasing new? If so, maintenance is included for the period of the warranty / lease.

After that, maint would be about the same as you have now for fluids.

As for the comment on emissions controls and what not, Its hard for manufacturer's to deny emissions failure claims since the law requires they remedy them for 100,000 miles or 10 years. If you havent done the scheduled maintenance then thats the only time they can deny.
Thank you for responding sir. I will be buying a few years old vehicle, I can't lease this due to transfer of duty stations.

Ford has been doing their best to deny claims and make up petty excuses like wrong fuel was used or wrong brand of fuel filter was installed. I know a few guys who paid up to 18k to get their 6.4L motors replaced. EGR cooler implodes and coolant ends up in the cylinders, DPF causes sky high EGTs and poor fuel economy. Days of diesels running for eternity are long gone
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
zsqure
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 Ram EcoDiesel

I came from 2 diesel pickups. '02 and '04 duramax crew allison. Both ran tuners. In my limited experience with a BMW (2 years), there has not been any more money running out of pocket, in fact I am putting money away. The weekly fuel cost has dropped significantly ($50 vs 100+). There is no more random fuel filter replacement. Trans flush @ 50k, spin on trans filter@ 25K mi. Brakes, about the same. Tires about the same if not more. Less time spent washing / cleaning. I have buried it once.....AWD car is not a truck.
?87 E30 vert
?16 F-type
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
lopezpaul
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

that's good to see the post now how much should i spend the money in order to change the motor for my bike any ideas guys this site sound good....