XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
MonteCarloX5///M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Monte Carlo Blue X5M

Launch control on a 2013 X5M

Hi guys,

I just picked up my 2013 this past friday. It was brand new, and I have about 500 miles on it right now. I looked at some videos on how to activate the launch control, and I did exactly what I was supposed to, however the checkered flag does not show up on the info screen for me (i know i shouldnt use it until i put some miles on it, but I wanted to make sure it works).

I was told by the service guys that the launch control doesn't activate until the car is "broken in", and when I asked when that would be, he said the car automatically "unlocks" the feature since there is no "break-in service" like there is on the M3.

Is there any validity to what I have been told? Can someone shed some light on this issue, as well as whether or not there is indeed a break in service required, and at what mileage interval?

Thanks a bunch
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
baby huey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Read the Manual.
It's accurate.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
MonteCarloX5///M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby huey View Post
Read the Manual.
It's accurate.
I did read the manual. There is nothing in there regarding either concern of mine...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloX5///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby huey View Post
Read the Manual.
It's accurate.
I did read the manual. There is nothing in there regarding either concern of mine...
Try it again, the flags will appear and u will launch. Ur question about "break in" some ppl say on thing some say another. BMW says with this truck there IS a break in period...and it is in ur manual, I'm pretty sure I remember reading it. I think it's 1200 miles. Simma down bro, I'm sure ur truck is fine and ur launch control will work perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
MonteCarloX5///M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff Grissel View Post
Try it again, the flags will appear and u will launch. Ur question about "break in" some ppl say on thing some say another. BMW says with this truck there IS a break in period...and it is in ur manual, I'm pretty sure I remember reading it. I think it's 1200 miles. Simma down bro, I'm sure ur truck is fine and ur launch control will work perfectly.
thanks, at least your post was helpful. The break in period is a question for me because I am in Canada, and every dealership I call tells me there is no break in "service". is this also true? If there is a break in service needed, what does it consist of, so I can go and do it myself?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloX5///M View Post
thanks, at least your post was helpful. The break in period is a question for me because I am in Canada, and every dealership I call tells me there is no break in "service". is this also true? If there is a break in service needed, what does it consist of, so I can go and do it myself?
The "break in service" they are referring to is the oil change. Some BMW models require an oil change after the break in period ( my 4.8i X5 did for example). your X5M does not require one.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
aj-x5m
Rep
Drives: 2010 monte carlo blue x5m

it's computer controlled it will automatically start working at 1200 miles, my friend had the same issue with is f10 m5, after 1200 miles the full power is released
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj-x5m View Post
it's computer controlled it will automatically start working at 1200 miles, my friend had the same issue with is f10 m5, after 1200 miles the full power is released
I want to say this is correct
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

Don't worry - you're not missing much anyways. The launch control helps a little bit and that's about it. It's not like an AWD 5K rpm clutch dump with all four tires spinning type of deal. It's like a modest brake launch IMO. So no real gains.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

I tried it yesterday and it works! But, I believe the manual misses some steps for the trick to work...not really missed but without carefully, the truck won't fly!

Make sure you first set up your 'M drive' options as described in the Supplementary Owner's Manual. That means, your EDC, DSC, Power and HUD will be changed from 'Efficient' to 'Sport' once you press the M button on the steering wheel.

If everything is properly set you should be able to see "Power", in the small screen by the main dash, once M is active and MS is set to 1 as per previous instructions in this thread.

Now, just floor the gas, wait for the flag, release the break and hang on!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #11
donho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG

I don't like the small delay when you use the LC. It does post faster 0-60 numbers with launch control,(because my timer doesn't start until truck moves and it does let you leave at a higher RPM) but in a real world scenario(street light battle) I press M, click shifter to left (S) and power brake it and just leave that way, no delay.

try it both way and you will see what I mean
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by donho View Post
I don't like the small delay when you use the LC. It does post faster 0-60 numbers with launch control,(because my timer doesn't start until truck moves and it does let you leave at a higher RPM) but in a real world scenario(street light battle) I press M, click shifter to left (S) and power brake it and just leave that way, no delay.

try it both way and you will see what I mean
Some cars require using LC to be beat!! gotta work on your timing haha, but I know exactly what you mean. It can actually slow you down sometimes if you aren't fast enough

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0