F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Newbie question on re-mounting factory wheels
ARMA SPEED

01-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive

Newbie question on re-mounting factory wheels

I recently took delivery of a 2014 335i X-Drive with M-Performance package. The car was delivered by the dealer with an OEM winter wheel package (OEM rims and tires), and I took the summer OEM wheels (with tires mounted) that came from the factory on the car home with me.

I finally got around today to cleaning up the summer wheels. It came with 19" M wheel, perf. RFT tires. (19x8.0, 225/40 R19 front and 19x8.5, 255/35 R19 rear).
When I was inspecting the wheels/tire there are no obvious marks indicating which side the respective wheels were originally mounted on. The car was delivered with 30kms on it so wasn't driven far in the summer tires.

Am I missing something on where this would be indicated either on the rim or tire, or can I mount on either side and mark myself when they come off, and remount in the spring on the same side. I'm assuming they should be remounted in the same position each season.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
estragos
TUGA
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport

Hi,

You must see if there is "rotation" marked on the tire! If not, you have normally "outside" marked on the tires, that means you have asymmetric tires that can be mounted on both sides.
In this case, you just put the 255 tires on the rear, and the 225 on the front, and that will be fine.
Hope that helps...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragos View Post
Hi,

You must see if there is "rotation" marked on the tire! If not, you have normally "outside" marked on the tires, that means you have asymmetric tires that can be mounted on both sides.
In this case, you just put the 255 tires on the rear, and the 225 on the front, and that will be fine.
Hope that helps...
Thanks for the quick response; the tires do say "Outside" on them.

Am I correct in assuming these would always be mounted in the same position and never rotated i.e. from LF to RF, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormannn View Post

Am I correct in assuming these would always be mounted in the same position and never rotated i.e. from LF to RF, etc.
"outside"... that's just for the person mounting the tire to the wheel to know which side of the tire is the outside part in relation to the rim.
Uni directional tires say "rotation" with an arrow in which it must rotate- those must stay on the same side of the car.

If it does not have that (rotation, with arrow), but does have 'outside' then it doesn't matter what side it's on your car, mind you, since you are staggered, you only have 2 places to put it anyways.

Last edited by Dinh335; 01-07-2014 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335
Quote:

"outside"... that's just for the person mounting the tire to the wheel to know which side of the tire is the outside part in relation to the rim.
Uni directional tires say "rotation" with an arrow in which it must rotate- those must stay on the same side of the car.

If it does not have that (rotation, with arrow), but does have 'outside' then it doesn't matter what side it's on your car, mind you, since you are staggered, you only have 2 places to put it anyways.
Tires are Bridgestone Potenza s001 RFT.

Don't see any markings with an arrow or the word rotation anywhere on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Tires are Bridgestone Potenza s001 RFT.

Don't see any markings with an arrow or the word rotation anywhere on them.
then you're good to go... like i said, being staggered means the 255s obviously are in the rear, but you can mount on either side.

as for rotation, just send yourself an email when you put your winter wheels on, of what wheel is where when you pile up your summers. That way when you remount you'll know what's what.
      01-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
then you're good to go... like i said, being staggered means the 255s obviously are in the rear, but you can mount on either side.

as for rotation, just send yourself an email when you put your winter wheels on, of what wheel is where when you pile up your summers. That way when you remount you'll know what's what.
So do you recommend rotating them from side to side each season? I wonder what difference that would really make. I can see with a square set-up rotating fronts to back, etc. but what advantage would there me from side to side unless you are getting uneven wear for some reason.
Appreciate 0