E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Problems with Lux Angel Eyes

01-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: SQ5

Lightbulb Problems with Lux Angel Eyes

I bought a pair of Lux 5.1's about two years ago. I live in Canada; I find every winter one unit malfunctions and I have to pull it out during our lovely Canadian cold.

Last year the Lux stops working so I pulled the broken unit out. Messaged Marc on the forum, he gave the address and I sent it. He fixed it and sent it out without asking for the cost of return shipping. I had to convince him to let me pay for return shipping.

It was easy and I was a happy Lux customer. Whenever I would see a "whats the best angel eye" thread I would give Lux a +1:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629993

So it has happened again this year and I have emailed Lux to make sure I can still send the unit in. They got back to me and told me I am out of warranty and I could send in the broken unit in to be fixed for $30!

Aren't these lights supposed to be reliable? I have a hard time paying to fix something every year that has such a high initial cost.

I told them I would just take out the Lux and go back to stock....
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Ew. I was going to get some but if they die in the cold, then no thanks.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Brad View Post
I bought a pair of Lux 5.1's about two years ago. I live in Canada; I find every winter one unit malfunctions and I have to pull it out during our lovely Canadian cold.

Last year the Lux stops working so I pulled the broken unit out. Messaged Marc on the forum, he gave the address and I sent it. He fixed it and sent it out without asking for the cost of return shipping. I had to convince him to let me pay for return shipping.

It was easy and I was a happy Lux customer. Whenever I would see a "whats the best angel eye" thread I would give Lux a +1:

So it has happened again this year and I have emailed Lux to make sure I can still send the unit in. They got back to me and told me I am out of warranty and I could send in the broken unit in to be fixed for $30!

Aren't these lights supposed to be reliable? I have a hard time paying to fix something every year that has such a high initial cost.

Are your stock bulbs Valeo's?

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
Ew. I was going to get some but if they die in the cold, then no thanks.
They have a little black box that gets glued to the Lux unit and thats what went last year. Not sure what it is this year but I'll pull it out and take pictures.

Im in Calgary too. The first time the lux broke was when it was -45 last year but this year it went when it was -10. So I'm not sure what the problem is

Last edited by E90Brad; 01-20-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
Are your stock bulbs Valeo's?
Stock. The OEM halogen bulb is what I meant
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Below is the malfunctioning unit. The issue is that the black box on the back has died, you can smell it.

I reinstalled the stock bulbs but they look terrible compared to the Lux light I have on the other side. I think I will try to get the broken light repaired before I change the other side back to stock. I love the look of Lux I just wish they were able to stand behind their product better. You shouldn't have to spend $30 every year to maintain a product that requires such a high initial investment. Plus removing/installing this type of light is a huge pain in the ass.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I'm sorry, but most companies only provide 1 year warranties and then you're SOL. Marc did the right thing and didn't even charge you return shipping for the first time. Even AFTER warranty, he's willing to fix an out of warranty product for you at a minimal cost. I know Marc personally, and I'm not only saying this because he's my friend, but it's the truth. Try contacting any company/vendor after you're out of warranty and see what they do for you.

An no, Marc did not tell me to post this. I just found this thread on my own because I'm bored at home.

Ask anybody on this forum, Marc has the BEST customer service when it comes to his products. Like I said, most companies, will just tell you to buy a new set.

I honestly think this thread is pointless. Well, that's my $.02.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
GB///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, X5 M60i

Interesting. I was actually looking to buy these angel eyes too but damn now I'm having doubts. If they're gonna die in the cold weather then I just dunno
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
Lolitskasey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Black 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie-Bay
Interesting. I was actually looking to buy these angel eyes too but damn now I'm having doubts. If they're gonna die in the cold weather then I just dunno
I have had my lux 5.1 for two cold Alaska winters and zero problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
GB///M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolitskasey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie-Bay
I have had my lux 5.1 for two cold Alaska winters and zero problem.
That's good to know. I still gotta do some research on them before I pull the trigger
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

look into some Mtec's I've had these for a little over a year. 0 problems at all and its gotten pretty cold here at times

http://www.sonictuning.com/mtec-bmw-...7000k-v-3.html
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

comparison Mtec vs lux

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585942
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie-Bay View Post
Things have progressed since that version was released
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
GB///M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuba
I think you helped me make my decision. I'm gonna go with mtech but now deciding on where to buy it from. Is that sonic tuning reputable or should I buy from someone else.

And sorry OP dont mean to high jack your thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #15
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
My theory is that they are failing for similar reasons as noted in this post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=24 The circuitry that is used to keep the AE's from dimming is what is failing. The only true solution is to code the AE's to run at full voltage but that would eliminate the need for going with these plug and pray solutions entirely. Its too bad they don't make a H8 LED bulb that aims the light into the light tubs or I would be all over them.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
FreshPrince335xi
FreshPrince335xi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

I've also my lux angel eyes for the past 2 NY winters and never had an issue ... I love Lux angel eyes... Money well spent in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor
My theory is that they are failing for similar reasons as noted in this post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=24 The circuitry that is used to keep the AE's from dimming is what is failing. The only true solution is to code the AE's to run at full voltage but that would eliminate the need for going with these plug and pray solutions entirely. Its too bad they don't make a H8 LED bulb that aims the light into the light tubs or I would be all over them.
They do, The LUX h8's do just that. That's why aligning them is so critical.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Brad

The unit costs $200+ when you buy new. When you were under warranty, he didn't charge you at all even for shipping. Now it's $30 to fix it since warranty period expired, so what's the problem?

Consider buying extended warranty next time so you don't end up complaining like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
They do, The LUX h8's do just that. That's why aligning them is so critical.
No, I meant other than the ones that comes with the driver or resistors to trick the car into thinking that the bulbs are drawing the proper voltage. I have no need for that, all I need are the bulbs. I would much rather do it the right way and code the bulb check out and to raise the voltage of the AE when headlights are on than to rely on those aftermarket solutions that fails after the warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
I'm sorry, but most companies only provide 1 year warranties and then you're SOL. Marc did the right thing and didn't even charge you return shipping for the first time. Even AFTER warranty, he's willing to fix an out of warranty product for you at a minimal cost. I know Marc personally, and I'm not only saying this because he's my friend, but it's the truth. Try contacting any company/vendor after you're out of warranty and see what they do for you.

An no, Marc did not tell me to post this. I just found this thread on my own because I'm bored at home.

Ask anybody on this forum, Marc has the BEST customer service when it comes to his products. Like I said, most companies, will just tell you to buy a new set.

I honestly think this thread is pointless. Well, that's my $.02.
+1 Marc goes above and beyond - great products and customer service.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie-Bay View Post
I think you helped me make my decision. I'm gonna go with mtech but now deciding on where to buy it from. Is that sonic tuning reputable or should I buy from someone else.

And sorry OP dont mean to high jack your thread.
I try and order everything i can from sonic tuning. great products, jose provides great customer service, and best of all Very fast shipping, all of my products have shipped out within one business day!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
NaTuReB0Y