E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > Long...Stay away from San Diego Motor Cars Direct

11-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
headred
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i

Long...Stay away from San Diego Motor Cars Direct

Don't usually do this but here it goes...

Dealership was nice enough to provide for an overnight test drive. 525i, Premium, Sport, 20" D'Vinci's... sweet looking ride. Said that the car just had the rims put on and might need to be re-balanced/aligned. Car drifted on the highway and shimmied above 50 mph. Whatever... never had a car with bigger rims and tires. Took the car home to my wife to check out, she loved it, called her friend over to see it. The pressure to keep it is building.

Something didn't seem right with the vehicle '05 only 15k miles, idrive, for only 24k... and a huge scrape on the passengers door sill. Headlights didn't work the way they should... only the right one stayed on when you turned the car off. Ran a Carfax report on the car... came back clean.

Took it for a prepurchase inspection the next day... best $108.00 I've ever spent. The mechanic calls me about an hour later and asks, "have you bought this car yet... don't!"

The car had been in a front end crash, front/rear bumpers painted by a drive-up service, oil cooler bent and pushed in, right headlight was not OEM... clips holding both in were broken and there was broken headlight glass near the windshield wipers. In addition the passenger wheel had weights on it about 1/3 of the entire circumference. The rear passenger suspension was bent.

Took the car back... they said that the mechanic was an idiot. They tried saying the lights didn't work because one was xenon and the other was bi-xenon, that all rims 20" and above needed that many weights because they weren't original... all kinds of stuff that made no sense. The sales person his in her office the whole time... turns out that she is a co-owner. "But this is a certified vehicle... 128points of inspection." Reponse "It's a certified piece of crap! You can put powdered sugar on a dogshit... but it's still dogshit!" and walked out.

My personal opinion... the car was involved in a relatively serious front end crash, someone ran over a curb (the scrape on the rocker panel) and hit a pole. That person never reported any of it... why Carfax was clear and paid to fixed it themselves.

Like I said I don't usually post experiences like this but I feel like they were prepared to sell me a fundamentally dangerous vehicle. I looked at the site today... they have 36 BMWs for sale... they specialize in high end vehicles... Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, Mercedes... scary huh?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

F*ck that.......i cant believe this sh*t

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

wtf, that's some serious deception. Is there any way you could bring that up...I don't know to who, but it should be noticed. This isn't a joke. Good choice on your part to get that inspection.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

lol...xenon and bi-xenon...she should put just a little bit of thought in that before she said that out loud...

ask her to explain Turbo and Bi-turbo...or even Twin turbo...see if she will say something about the turbo being turned on still or won't shut down when you turn off the engine...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ok here is the deal, and the real deal. I have worked for the largest dismantaling company in CA for German, Italian, and British.

First off most people that have bought a expensive car and have a high amount of bank roll dont care about insurance. They just buy the car out right and say if something happens they will just buy a new car. They get the cheapest insurance just so they would be legal to drive. Then if something happens they call a local dismantler that buys cars like they have and say " hey i have a clean title whatever make and model that has damange and im trying to get rid of it" so me being the person thats trying to make money on that id say "a 2005 bmw 525i with front end damange, ill give u 15grand for it". I know that the car needs work, but I can get a bumper from the back of the yard, send it to my paint guy, have him fix it for nothing, and have all of the other parts bought non oem for nothing. Have one of my part pullers install all of it for free and only be in the car for like 17,000. Then have some used car dealer come buy it from me the next day for like 20,000. Then I make 3grand in a week after all costs.
For example I got a ferrari 360 from a guy in portland for 45 grand. It needed a new hood, new front bumper, new side skirts, new wheels, and all front hardware like oilcoolers, ect. I already have all those parts in my yard so i just send them to get fixed, (fiberglass is cake to fix), get a cheap paint job from my guys, get new airbags (the most expensive parts) and get a guy to clear the computer so no lights come up on the dash and I make 35-50grand. Because they guy never clamed it, its not on carfax, its clean title, you can as 30-40grand less than other 360s out there, people hop on it like a hot blond just asking to get some.

The moral of this story is dont buy used cars from used car dealerships. But only cars from dealerships that sell new cars.

But lets just say you bought this car that the guy posted about from a BMW dealership, buy it, if its been in a wreck, and you can prove it, and they dont know or didnt tell u, you could sue the fuck out of them. Walk away with a new M5, 760li, and a 335 just for shits and giggles.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 12:29 AM   #6
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Wait wait wait...you con people for a living? I think I misunderstood you...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 05:00 AM   #7
L~R~G nor cal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Wait wait wait...you con people for a living? I think I misunderstood you...
No, No, No. I never got a dime from those cars. I was just doing what I was told to do. All dismaltiners scam people for a living. I was just working there while I was in school.

Im not that kind of person, I know how they do business is shady, but thats how they work.

How else whould they make money?

I know this sounds bad, but they arnt the people scaming really, we would sell to dealerships or people trying to make a quick buck, and they would sell to the general public. We always gave pics of how the car was wrecked. But the thing is a clean title car is a clean title car.

The fucked up people are the insurance companys. Did u know that they sell cars that people have been murdered in and they dont have to disclose anything. Its completly up to them. They just have a team come clean it up and turn it for a quick buck.

If anyone ever finds a deal thats too good to be true, it usually is. If anyone ever has a question about these types of things, PM me. I know pretty much the in's and out's of this business.

Feel free for any questions. AND NEVER BUY CARS FROM A USED CAR DEALERSHIP!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #8
headred
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

When I took the car back my wife got pretty upset... has wanted a Bimmer for quite awhile. Something just seemed not right, deal was too good to be true, the scrape, the weird lights... bottom line I'm glad we didn't buy it... we have two small children and we value their safety.

There's a thousand small time dealerships here in San Diego... buying the cars at auction... wherever. Ended up buying a CERTIFIED 325i vehicle from Brecht BMW... no idrive... no 20" rims but she loves it even more and I know her and the kids are safe.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
L~R~G nor cal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by headred View Post
When I took the car back my wife got pretty upset... has wanted a Bimmer for quite awhile. Something just seemed not right, deal was too good to be true, the scrape, the weird lights... bottom line I'm glad we didn't buy it... we have two small children and we value their safety.

There's a thousand small time dealerships here in San Diego... buying the cars at auction... wherever. Ended up buying a CERTIFIED 325i vehicle from Brecht BMW... no idrive... no 20" rims but she loves it even more and I know her and the kids are safe.
Good Call!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
Leesi
Good Student Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW

My friend once got screwed by this kind of dealer. He bought a used Nissan 350Z then he brought his car for service and the mechanic figured out there are many fixes, replaces, and non-OEM parts on the car. He said to my friend, 'What did happen to your car?' My friend was shocked and furious because he never had replace any aftermarket products on his car or involved in any accident. Then, he brought the car back to dealer and was about to file his legal action. But, the dealer try to cover their ass with a compensation BRAND NEW MB SLK 350 LOADED. Now, my friend already forget about it...

Jet Black color with minor scratches

PM ME!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesi View Post
My friend once got screwed by this kind of dealer. He bought a used Nissan 350Z then he brought his car for service and the mechanic figured out there are many fixes, replaces, and non-OEM parts on the car. He said to my friend, 'What did happen to your car?' My friend was shocked and furious because he never had replace any aftermarket products on his car or involved in any accident. Then, he brought the car back to dealer and was about to file his legal action. But, the dealer try to cover their ass with a compensation BRAND NEW MB SLK 350 LOADED. Now, my friend already forget about it...
350Z for a slk 350 your buddy got screwed...lol jk

but he would of walked away with alot more if he sued
      12-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: US 06 330xi

Unhappy

[QUOTE=headred;1759245]Don't usually do this but here it goes...

You should tell Carfax about this car. I thought they get info from police accident reports. How did they miss this one?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #13
headred
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My guess would be that there was no police report... car crash, no one hurt, tow the car, get it fixed... maybe it was a repo... who knows.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #14
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L~R~G nor cal View Post
No, No, No. I never got a dime from those cars. I was just doing what I was told to do. All dismaltiners scam people for a living. I was just working there while I was in school.
You are just as guilty as the people who did "get dimes" because you knew. I bet you would feel different if your child was riding in a car that was re-built in the same fashion and failed to protect them in an accident. What is happening to our moral frabric?

I think carfax is a joke...it depends on what is reported. One dealer had a lot of loaners that they sold and uncertified cheap because of "minor" accidents on the lot...so they said. None of them were reported so there was no way of getting warranty support for the repairs.
Appreciate 0