E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Journal: N54 Total Engine Rebuild & Upgraded Internals

12-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Arrow Journal: N54 Total Engine Rebuild & Upgraded Internals

I have been meaning to write this for quite a long time and several members have recently been pestering me to finally post the details.... Sorry for the delay!!

A lot of you will know about some of the peculiar problems with the N54 engine, namely the failure of ignition coils, rough running, drop in fuel economy, poor performance etc etc... Many of you however might not know about the problem of carbon build up on the inlet valves / intake system.

It is a fairly well-supported thought that part of the problem with the N54 engine is the fact that because the engine is direct injection, there is no longer petrol washing over the inlet valves and this therefore lets carbon build up. There is also a belief that the recirculating crankcase ventilation system allows oil vapour to be deposited in the intake system and this exacerbates the problem of carbon build up.

There have now been a significant number of cars that have gone into the UK dealer servicing network where it has been discovered that the cylinder head has become carbonised to the extent that it has caused substantial deterioration to engine performance. The solution has been to remove the head and send it away for a chemical cleaning process, costing around £1500. What hasn't been discovered is whether the build up of carbon has had any adverse effect on the rest of the engine.

I have had all this in the back of my mind and over the last few months I have been more and more concerned at the performance of the engine in my car and the fact that it was giving out ever increasing amounts of smoke out of the exhaust. The smoke has generally been just white in colour, with a tinge of blue on sudden full throttle openings. I have known for a while that my engine was going to be in need of a strip down and inspection and I suspected there was oil seeping past one of the piston rings and/or the head gasket was on its way out. The strip down of the engine would also give me the excuse to finally change the internal hardware (if ever an excuse were needed )

I had previously contacted CP Pistons (www.cp-carrillo.com), one of the world's foremost piston engineering companies owned by Pankl Racing in Austria, and had asked them to fabricate me a bespoke set of lightweight forged race pistons.

The standard compression ratio of the N54 engine is 10.2:1, whilst Alpina use a 9.4:1 (corrected) piston in their B3S. In basic terms, lowering the compression in a turbo engine allows the safer use of more boost pressure, with one of the downsides being an increase in lag. Working with the engineers at CP, we decided on a 9.5:1 compression ratio, using their highest-quality forged pistons complete with low friction thermal coating on the dome and skirt. Their race pistons are a complete work of art and are proven worldwide having been used in many of the winning German DTM race cars.

I also contacted another division of Pankl Racing called Carrillo (www.cp-carrillo.com), who are one of the world's top two manufacturers of conrods, and commissioned them to make a set of bespoke forged conrods for the N54. Like CP, their conrods are used in motorsport across the globe, and the same material used in the rods for the N54 is used in top-fuel dragsters producing over 1500bhp. The Carrillo rods are considerably lighter than the BMW OEM versions, and combined with the new pistons will offer less reciprocating mass in the engine (exact weight data will be provided once the OEM pistons are cleaned up).

So, back to my engine...

The ever increasing smoke from the exhausts eventually persuaded me to take the car to Birds (who else?!) for the full strip down operation to begin. After a day's work, the entire engine and gearbox assembly had been dropped down from the car and the engine stripped down to its bare components. And then the problems were revealed.....!!

Engine Block

The guys at Birds discovered that piston #5 was on its way to destruction. The piston had lost a chunk of material on the corner and the rings were badly worn. Oil had definitely been seeping past and there was also a tiny speck of plastic sitting on top of the piston crown (where that came from is anyone's guess!) The top of the piston was covered in specks of carbon and tiny bits of aluminium. The other cylinders looked ok in terms of piston wear, but the cylinder bores were all significantly scored, much more than would have been expected from a 50,000 mile engine (which is what mine has done). You can see what I mean in the following pictures -

Name:  _D3X4299 1000px.jpg
Views: 76219
Size:  378.9 KB

Name:  _D3X4289 1000px.jpg
Views: 72773
Size:  348.3 KB

Name:  _D3X4290 1000px.jpg
Views: 72739
Size:  336.2 KB

Name:  _D3X4298 1000px.jpg
Views: 75187
Size:  340.9 KB

Quite why the bores are so scored is unclear, although it is most likely that the pistons became too hot and grew too larger for the bore diameter, therefore rubbing along the bore and shaving particles of aluminium off the crown. It is a little concerning because we don't know why the pistons would have become so hot. The engine has only been running between 14-15psi of boost so it is unlikely this is the cause, especially given Alpina run similar levels of boost in their version of the N54 engine.

It could potentially be an oil lubrication problem, what with the car having been massaged around the Nurburgring once or twice The oil sump has been cleaned up with a view to getting a special oil pan baffle manufactured to prevent oil surge and ensure constant oil pickup.

The engine block required an overhaul, with the cylinders bored to allow for the one-oversized CP pistons. The rebore also has added benefit in that it removes the scoring from the walls and any extraneous debris that might be found. Serdi (www.serdi.co.uk) are the company used to handle the machining.

You can see the state of piston #5 in the pictures below, and you'll also see a brand new CP piston as a comparison

Name:  _D3X4324 1000px.jpg
Views: 84604
Size:  425.8 KB

Name:  _D3X4323 1000px.jpg
Views: 71498
Size:  351.0 KB

Name:  _D3X4321 1000px.jpg
Views: 71279
Size:  374.2 KB

Name:  _D3X4328 1000px.jpg
Views: 70524
Size:  377.4 KB

Name:  _D3X4329 1000px.jpg
Views: 69965
Size:  362.3 KB

The crankshaft also shows abnormal wear on the bearing, as can be seen in the pictures below. Again why there is abnormal wear here is unclear, but what is certain is that this wear is not a result of increased power from the engine. The only solution, apart from buying a new crankshaft, is to have the bearing ground down to suit the next undersized bearing shell. Fortunately BMW manufacture four different sizes of bearing shells just for this scenario.

Name:  _D3X4300 1000px.jpg
Views: 70413
Size:  386.4 KB

Name:  _D3X4304 1000px.jpg
Views: 72351
Size:  377.0 KB

Cylinder Head
More problems here, although this was largely expected. There has been a substantial build up of carbon on the intake valves, so much so that air flow is visibly restricted. The valves and valve seats seemed ok and only in need of a clean up. The valve stems would need a total strip down to get rid of the carbon, so in essence the head would have to be completely disassembled.

Given the state of the head and the process required to return it to a fit and proper condition, I decided to have the head completely overhauled with a full gas flow and port polish process to improve performance even more. The process involves a complete disassembly and cleaning of the head with leak, crack and pressure testing. Inlet and exhaust valves are then unshrouded and reprofiled to allow better gas flow, and rebalanced and blueprinted with the installation of new uprated valve guides and Viton valve seals. The valve springs are also overhauled and balanced. The net result is a really significant increase in performance with absolutely no drawbacks.

The pictures below show the cylinder head as it came off the engine, and the state of the valves. If you look closely you can see the carbon build up on the stem of the open valve.

Name:  _D3X4306 1000px.jpg
Views: 71650
Size:  410.9 KB

Name:  _D3X4292 1000px.jpg
Views: 72534
Size:  408.7 KB

Name:  _D3X4307 1000px.jpg
Views: 73474
Size:  338.6 KB

Name:  _D3X4291 1000px.jpg
Views: 72584
Size:  362.5 KB

Name:  _D3X4291_2 1000px.jpg
Views: 72156
Size:  423.9 KB

I'll post up more pictures in due course to show the engine in the rebuild process and also the new cylinder head. In the meantime, there are a few more pictures of bits of my car on the floor...

Name:  _D3X4319 1000px.jpg
Views: 68321
Size:  465.7 KB

Name:  _D3X4311 1000px.jpg
Views: 68185
Size:  487.5 KB

Name:  _D3X4310 1000px.jpg
Views: 68337
Size:  384.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Geez...I assume most of this excessive wear is due to the fact that you track your car more often than most guys on this forum? I have over 50k miles of street driving and only one track day and I really hope my motor is in better shape.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Amazing man looking forward to more pictures. Strange you had so much wear while my engine was pristine in terms of pistons and cylinder and crank when my failure occurred while running preatty much 16 psi upwards of boost. My valves guides though were cooked and i had to redo them...
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Geez...I assume most of this excessive wear is due to the fact that you track your car more often than most guys on this forum? I have over 50k miles of street driving and only one track day and I really hope my motor is in better shape.
The honest truth is that we have no idea why there is such abnormal wear. Yes the car lives a lot of its life on the Nurburgring, but equally it is exceptionally well maintained and regularly inspected. The Nurburgring doesn't actually pose that many challenges to an engine - if anything, a circuit like Laguna Seca is more demanding on an engine in terms of oil lubrication and starvation because it's a much smaller track with greater frequency of corners within the same time frame.

The engine is now being loaded up with data logging equipment so I can directly measure things like oil pressure and exhaust gas temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Amazing man looking forward to more pictures. Strange you had so much wear while my engine was pristine in terms of pistons and cylinder and crank when my failure occurred while running preatty much 16 psi upwards of boost. My valves guides though were cooked and i had to redo them...
Yes, the wear is strange.

How are you getting on with the Okada coils?
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

wow. Thats a lot of buildup. Makes me want to get a catch can ASAP. 26k miles of driving (at near stock boost levels) is enough to cause a lot of gunk.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
wow. Thats a lot of buildup. Makes me want to get a catch can ASAP. 26k miles of driving (at near stock boost levels) is enough to cause a lot of gunk.
I've been using a catch can for the last 40,000 miles - it is emptied approximately every 5000 miles.

The car has been running either a remap or Procede for about the same mileage as well (about three years)
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
nice work you started
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Thanks for posting this, it is very valuable for the N54 community. The engine internals looks like shit considering the low mileage but being punished on the Nurburgring accelerates the wear. Perhaps the oil system has starved during hard cornering? That may explain the abnormal wear on the crank journals. The cylinder walls may be scarred by carbon from the upper part. In case the piston had swelled and scarred the walls you would easily see this on the piston skirts.

Strange that the #5 piston is so beaten and also that the crank look so bad. I guess the combustion chamber with a lot of oil in it is # 5, right? It appears that one of the intake valves in this cylinder may leak oil by the shaft.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
I've been using a catch can for the last 40,000 miles - it is emptied approximately every 5000 miles.

The car has been running either a remap or Procede for about the same mileage as well (about three years)
Catch can helps, but personally I don't direct even the fumes back to the intake.

Btw. I wonder how bad are some hard driven engines that do not have even a catch can...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
subscribed. Very awesome thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
FPO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Big work and cost involved there Tony. Hope that you reap the benefits.
What car are you using whilst your beauty is being 'refurbished'?

Are you making any other improvements whilst the car is in bits?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Very interesting thread. I've noticed a large amount if white smoke from mine as well. I'm still under warranty for another year but the car has done 64k. I've noticed mine is also shaking very slightly on idle even when warm

Did you have any other symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1000K3 View Post
Thanks for posting this, it is very valuable for the N54 community. The engine internals looks like shit considering the low mileage but being punished on the Nurburgring accelerates the wear. Perhaps the oil system has starved during hard cornering? That may explain the abnormal wear on the crank journals. The cylinder walls may be scarred by carbon from the upper part. In case the piston had swelled and scarred the walls you would easily see this on the piston skirts.

Strange that the #5 piston is so beaten and also that the crank look so bad. I guess the combustion chamber with a lot of oil in it is # 5, right? It appears that one of the intake valves in this cylinder may leak oil by the shaft.
The piston has definitely swelled as you can see the markings on the piston skirt.

You are right - the combustion chamber filled with oil is #5. Seepage past the rings.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #15
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPO View Post
Big work and cost involved there Tony. Hope that you reap the benefits.
What car are you using whilst your beauty is being 'refurbished'?

Are you making any other improvements whilst the car is in bits?
Not many of the parts on the car are original anymore! There are a couple of improvements being done, namely an all-aluminium radiator in place of the plastic end-tanked OEM version, and a baffled pan for the oil sump. Not much else can be done that hasn't already been modified or upgraded!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #16
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Fascinating thread Tony. I wait with anticipation for the next posts in what will be another Tone Saga.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Very interesting thread. I've noticed a large amount if white smoke from mine as well. I'm still under warranty for another year but the car has done 64k. I've noticed mine is also shaking very slightly on idle even when warm

Did you have any other symptoms?
You have to ascertain what the smoke actually is. In this cold weather most cars are smoking more just due to condensation etc. One thing you can do is get hold of a mirror or piece of glass and hold it to one of the exhaust pipes whilst it's smoking. If the droplets on the mirror are just water then you should be ok. If there is an oily residue, then your engine is burning a little oil from somewhere.

The N54 engine never idles completely calmly. If all you are experiencing is a slightly nervous idle, but there are no other problems or performance decrease and you aren't consuming significant quantities of oil, then your car is fine.

It is all too easy to start worrying about things which don't exist. This forum is fantastic for providing some useful information (not all of it is useful however!) but at the same time it can serve to scare people into thinking something is wrong when it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Any color photos of the head and valve stem.... Wow that thing is gunked up.

You should send that picture to shell and have them use it in their next commercial LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Yes, the wear is strange.

How are you getting on with the Okada coils?
Honestly no idea but i have not had a missfire since i had these on and pushing around 16+ psi to redline and over 1200 ml/ min of meth . In my opinion for upgraded turbos and over 18 psi these are a must .
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #20
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
Any color photos of the head and valve stem.... Wow that thing is gunked up.

You should send that picture to shell and have them use it in their next commercial LOL
Name:  _D3X4291 Colour.jpg
Views: 72349
Size:  515.8 KB

Name:  _D3X4292 Colour.jpg
Views: 69309
Size:  581.7 KB

Name:  _D3X4329 Colour.jpg
Views: 73554
Size:  521.2 KB

Name:  _D3X4333 Colour.jpg
Views: 69973
Size:  454.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Interesting stuff. Its clear to see the valve stem carbon problem, which is pretty bad on your engine even tho you have been running a catch can for a long time. Thrashing it on track days has not burned off any of the carbon, so it looks like the carbon will be worse in engines that are driven normally.

Its a shame because the 335 is a beautiful motor, but obviously has problems...
Yours will be fantastic when its finished, good choice to have the head ported and polished as well,
Some good pictures of that process on this website. www.cncheads.co.uk

subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

What would you think about replacing the stock valves with bigger ones?
Appreciate 0