BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
teddyb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Moving from a Cayman

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has moved from a Cayman to a 135i and what their impressions are? Having searched around a bit I didn't find anything that answers my question directly, and I am sure these cars get cross shopped quite a bit.

My lease just ran out on my White 07 Cayman (non S). I really did love the car but being a new model for Porsche it did spend a lot of time in the shop (replaced tranny and headliner amongst other things). On the plus side it drove beautifully and was the steering was telepathic. However maintenance costs and general upkeep were high. A brake job on one of these things will really make your eyes water!

The 135i's 4 seats (even if the back two are tiny) appeal and while mid mounted engines (in the Cayman obviously) make for great driving dynamics, it's a pain in the butt to get comfortable. I'm 5'10" and was constantly bumping the engine bay with my seat.

Anyway, I just ordered an '11 135i coupe. Alpine white, DCT, Black leather, M package, HK sound, premium package, convenience package, navigation. Pretty well loaded. A comparable Cayman is well into the mid 60's - about a 20k bump. The '07Cayman I just turned in was in the mid 50's when I leased it and was pretty much a stripper except for climate control and heated seats.

The test drive of the 135i blew me away - way more power than the Cayman and the torque is just always there, so I am excited to pick up the car next week. Having had the 5sp in the Cayman, the DCT is going to be a refreshing change... the throttle blips on the down shifts put a big grin on my face!

So after all that I guess my question is if I'm going to be equally excited to drive the car every day. I realize that is a very subjective question, but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts. From a practical standpoint the move to a 135 is a no brainer, however I am fortunate in that this isn't my daily driver - more of a fun ride.

The Cayman certainly turned a lot of heads (which I didn't hate, but can certainly live without!) but as a driving enthusiast I still want to get excited every time I get behind the wheel.

Once I get my car and drive it for a while I'll be happy to post my thoughts... if anyone is interested!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
My 135 is my daily driver. I had an Audi prior but prior to that my daily driver was a Porsche 968 Cab. I still own it (158k miles) and it's still my favorite car to drive. After a while it rattled and eventually I had all sorts of problems with the convertible top. But it was a little too expensive for most to use as a daily driver (when you factor in tires it was $2-3k per yr in maintenance). Also it was tough to climb into and had no space for anything but two passengers.

I definitely like my 135 more than any car other than my Porsche so far. Really the 135 is a better daily driver and I don't think I could have found a car that I would have preferred. I assume you'll feel the same way but maybe a little less since you don't use it was your daily driver.

Nothing really drives with the mechanical feel of a Porsche. I also much preferred being thought of as a Porsche driver and I generally don't like the typical BMW driver. But the 135 is a fun car to drive. It's kind of a bully. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
NFIDDY5
I bleed Scarlet and Gray!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Everytime I press and hold the ignition and the DCT buttons, I smile. I am sure will too. Now ditch the stock suspension and RFT and you will really smile from ear to ear each time you get in it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
teddyb
Private
Rep

Thanks guys - that's some helpful input. Eyeman, what you say about the 'mechanical' feel of a Porsche really is true. You really have to drive the Cayman to get performance out of it.

But... it was getting a bit old - the wall of torque I experienced on the 135 was really amazing. And when that tranny is in M Sport mode it really bangs through the shifts!

I had the Cooper S before the Cayman and wow what a different car once the Run Flats got replaced with a nice set of Toyos...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
woner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT

Before my 135 I drove a 2006 Cayman S for a few months. It was my brother's car and I was deciding if I could live with it as a daily driver.
The cars are definitely not apples to apples, but I am much happier to drive the 1 everyday. The DCT is much easier for me to live with than the 6MT, and it's just as much fun(for me). The torque of the 1 makes it feel much quicker in most situations and a tune exaggerates this feeling. The 1 is also more comfortable and more practical with its usable folding rear seats and larger trunk.

On the other hand, the 1 gets 1/10 of the attention that the Cayman got from other motorists. I don't like people staring at me all the time, but I wish our cars got a little more respect. The Cayman is simply a more beautiful car, so it gets more looks. I enjoy the unique "bulldog" look of the 1ers, but most people seem to ignore them. Also, the 1 suspension feels far too squishy and bouncy compared to the Cayman. From everything I've read, BMW Performance Suspension or coilovers will fix this flaw.

Overall, they are both great cars with strengths in different areas. If I could get my hands on a new Cayman S with a more powerful engine, better technology, and PDK transmission, I would give up my 1. However, I consider a move from an '07 5MT C to the '11 135i DCT an upgrade. Let us know how you like it when it arrives. I'm sure you will love it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
teddyb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woner View Post
If I could get my hands on a new Cayman S with a more powerful engine, better technology, and PDK transmission, I would give up my 1.

I hear ya - but the Cayman S optioned the same way would be around about a 75K car - into base 911 territory. Or a VERY nicely optioned M3.

I looked at an 07 Cayman S for around 42K (had v. low miles on it) but it just didn't make sense vs. the new 135...

It may sound ludicrous but at 46K sticker for a fully loaded 135i (with approx 2k off of that from the dealer) I feel like I'm getting a deal. I guess it's all perspective.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
woner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyb View Post
I hear ya - but the Cayman S optioned the same way would be around about a 75K car - into base 911 territory. Or a VERY nicely optioned M3.

I looked at an 07 Cayman S for around 42K (had v. low miles on it) but it just didn't make sense vs. the new 135...

It may sound ludicrous but at 46K sticker for a fully loaded 135i (with approx 2k off of that from the dealer) I feel like I'm getting a deal. I guess it's all perspective.
Yep, the 1 seemed the best value for me too. I also got worked up about the performance figures of the C6 vette, but after a test drive I found out it's not the same level of car as the BMW. Hopefully that doesn't sound too fanboyish lol. I realize that the Corvette will embarrass my car in every performance area, it just wasn't for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
teddyb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woner View Post
Yep, the 1 seemed the best value for me too. I also got worked up about the performance figures of the C6 vette, but after a test drive I found out it's not the same level of car as the BMW. Hopefully that doesn't sound too fanboyish lol. I realize that the Corvette will embarrass my car in every performance area, it just wasn't for me.
I tested an '07 Z06 - about the same price. I could not get over the cheap interior, and really just too much power for everyday use. Hell my Tahoe drives better!
      12-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Porsche's are unbelievably expensive. My decently optioned 135i came to $39,500 brand new. A similarly equipped Cayman S would probably be in the mid 60's. They're cool cars but I'd rather have an M3 for that kind of money.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
teddyb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
Porsche's are unbelievably expensive. My decently optioned 135i came to $39,500 brand new. A similarly equipped Cayman S would probably be in the mid 60's. They're cool cars but I'd rather have an M3 for that kind of money.
And the general attitude of the Porsche salesmen doesn't help - every time I'm made to feel like I'm privileged just to be standing on the lot looking at the cars. My local dealer had 3 non S Caymans - all with PDK, all over 60K sticker and they weren't coming down much off of that.

Oh well, looking forward to "owning" (leasing) a Bimmer at least for the next three years!
      12-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I have driven alot of Porsches, and all but the 968 were great, even the first 944. But due to maintenance cost, insurance, and overall buyin, I never bought one. I still think they are among the best engineered cars. That said, every BMW I have owned has always brought a smile to my face when I turned the key (or now, press the button). My 128 isn't blazingly fast, but with a bit of tweaking, it handles extremely well, is comfortable (just did a four hour drive in my dad's Jag... Ugh, seats suck!), and very unique. The brakes are amazing, and the manual transmission is the smoothest ever. The gadgets are plentiful, Bluetooth, Siruis, USB and ipod connectors... So, yeah, I think you will learn to love your BMW. The One really grows on yah, it takes a few weeks, then then it hits you, wow, this is a fun car!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
In as few words as needed.......

I have both a 2008 135i and a 2006 Cayman S.
For me, the biggest difference is the transmissions, MT for the 135 and Tiptronic for the Cayman....so it's not an apples to apples comparison. I so enjoy a manual trans that the automatic on the Cayman takes away from the pleasure of driving (but that's just me).

I enjoy the 135 for the MT trans, the incredible torque and a ride quality that is more comfortable. This car is a better daily driver and feels much faster than the Porsche when just driving around town.

I enjoy the Porsche for it's handling and (if it's a good thing) the attention on the road. The ride quality is much more harsh than the 135 (and I am still running the RFT's on the 135).

Engine sound...has to go to the Porsche (even though the 135 sounds terrific).

I don't track my cars so I have no good input on ultimate performance differences.

Ask any additional questions if you wish.

Tom

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #13
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyb View Post
Hi there,

the steering was telepathic. However maintenance costs and general upkeep were high. A brake job on one of these things will really make your eyes water!

Thanks.
you won't find any of that here. numb steering, yes, isolation yes, great ride with run flats, yes; outstanding ride with real tires, yes...

You need a full suspension to dial the car in, non rfts, coilovers or at least shocks/springs and from what i've heard m3 front and rear bushings, control arms etc. I haven't done the bushings yet and my car still is mushy when pushed (feels like my M3 did when it had 60k and needed control arms, and rear trailing arm bushings), and while there's some steering feel now after the shock/springs update, compared to your cayman it's downright F150.

Aside from that it's a much better daily driver, and is faster than a non S, and will feel much faster around town than even an S due to the torque.

It's a great car with lots of compromises that for an enthusiast, but it's great for a daily. I think a lot of the issues have been addressed with the 1M, but you couldn't get a DCT with that and you'd be up in the price range a bit as well.
      12-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

I am planning on getting a CPO '09 Cayman-S with PDK when my BMW is turned in early next summer. They are starting to crack the <$50k barrier, figure they should be mid-40's by the time I'm ready.
I like the torque of my 335i, but I find it got boring after having it for a few months. There's nothing like winding up a NA engine to high RPM's, the x35 engine is better at low RPM's, but runs out of steam qucikly.
I have considered a 135i with DCT, but the Cayman handles so much better and I still have concerns about the HPFP issue.
Test drove a M3 with DCT (used) a few weeks ago, really liked the car, but can't see buying something with such poor gas mileage.
I'd like to start doing some DE's and I don't think the 135i would fare as well as either the Cayman or M3 on the track, without some mods, especially tires.
The free maintainence with new BMW's is nice, I know I'll be paying much more on the P-car, but I'm ready to make the move.

Last edited by saeyedoc; 12-29-2010 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
teddyb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I am planning on getting a CPO '09 Cayman-S with PDK when my BMW is turned in early next summer. They are starting to crack the <$50k barrier, figure they should be mid-40's by the time I'm ready.
I like the torque of my 335i, but I find it got boring after having it for a few months. There's nothing like winding up a NA engine to high RPM's, the x35 engine is better at low RPM's, but runs out of steam qucikly.
I have considered a 135i with DCT, but the Cayman handles so much better and I still have concerns about the HPFP issue.
Test drove a M3 with DCT (used) a few weeks ago, really liked the car, but can't see buying something with such poor gas mileage.
I'd like to start doing some DE's and I don't think the 135i would fare as well as either the Cayman or M3 on the track, without some mods, especially tires.
The free maintainence with new BMW's is nice, I know I'll be paying much more on the P-car, but I'm ready to make the move.
Having tested the PDK vs the DCT same day, I must say I like the DCT more - but thats purely personal. PDK is amazingly fast, but on the Cayman I think I would still go stick (whereas I'm getting DCT on my 1). Pricewise, the CPO 07's are still in the low 40's which was the main reason for my switch to the 135 brand new.

A PDK with the S engine will be a great car - just be VERY careful with trim issues. On a car that rigid with such a large trunk, you get a lot of rattles and "booms" when you hit any bumps. Mine spent a lot of time in the shop, and there was a recall or 3! The issues you will see on the Cayman boards are real, though I think think got better with the refresh (09 onwards I think).

I would insist on at least a 30-40min test drive on a used one. I think Porsche owners gennerally take care of their cars but man they are driven hard. I wouldn't buy out my lease

Having said that, it is awesome, and definitely and enthusiast's car. I just think I imagined myself more of an enthusiast than I am. In 3 years I only tracked once! The Caymans eat brakes and tires when driven hard - it was just too rich for my blood! That said I hope to be in a position to have a Boxster Spyder as a pure toy one day... that is an incredible machine!
      12-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #16
Superfly
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I had a Cayman S just before the 135i, i prefer the BMW for the engine and the room in this car and it's more a daily driver. But the chassis is really better in the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #17
MikeD_VA
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

I have had a Boxster S for eight years and have put over 54,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago I took delivery of my 135i coupe with manual transmission and M-sport package. I have found the 135i to be enormously entertaining to drive. After about 400 miles on the 135i I took the Boxster out for a drive curious as to how it would feel in constrast. The Boxster S is not quite as fast but it definitely handles better. Much less body roll. Steering feels more direct.

They are both great cars and I know that I am going to enjoy the contrasts. (Kind of like having a wife and a mistress without the moral issue)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
bet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have been daily driving a Porsche for the last 10 years (993,then a 996 and then a Cayman S). I just sold my 07" CS and got the 135i. Apples to oranges. The 135i from BMW (no suspension modifications) is nothing like my CS. The Caymans S was just the best handling car I have ever driven with a completed sorted out suspension that was a street legal go cart with unbelievable handling, steering, braking and interesting enough great ride (disclaimer is I did have PASM with 19" wheels). In contrast the 135i feels like the suspension set up was an aftermarket after thought (most disappointing part of the 135i IMO). It is both harsh and soft with lots of body role. There is also an unplanted/squirmy feeling that is not confidence inspiring under hard acceleration. The weight different and balance are also really noticeable when compared to the Cayman. The Porsche is all sports car.

That said the the engine is great with lots of torque down low. The 135i engine runs out of breath around 6k though unlike the Porsche flat 6 which just rev and pull all the way to the redline. This isn't necessarily bad, it just takes some adjustments to how you have been driving.

In isolation the 135i is better riding and driving car when compared to 90% of the cars on the road. It is a sports coupe and not a sports car. It is brutish and you basically muscle it around. Lots of fun drive. The real flaws of the ride and handling just become obvious when you compare to something like a Porsche. That said the cost difference is quiet large. I also think some the luxury items (i.e. bluetooth, ipod use, comfort access) are better in the BMW than the Porsche. The cabin is definitely quieter than the Cayman. Road noise and mechanical noises are much more isolated and dampened. I like the lack of road noise but miss the wonderful exhaust and intake noise of the CS (I am thinking BMW Performance exhaust to help for me ). Overall I think the 135i is a better daily driver than the CS but it lacks the driving dynamics of the CS.

In contrast to your experience...my Porsche's were rather inexpensive to drive with virtually no issues. I put 42k miles on the Cayman S with no cost other than oil changes (which I did myself). Not one issue with the car at all. The 996 had 78k miles on it when I sold it for the CS and I only had 2 issues (ignition switch and coolant overflow) and 1 brake job (did it myself also). My experience with BMW (wife has always drove a BMW) has been a mixed bag with issues (it has depended on the car). Brake jobs on BMW's at the dealership are no cheaper than Porsche dealership brake jobs...in fact all out of cost expenses at the dealership are about the same for BMW and Porsche in my experience.

I think you will enjoy the 135i just don't expect it to drive like the Porsche (both good and bad).
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #19
teddyb
Private
Rep

Finally took delivery yesterday, and so far I have been blown away by the car.

My Cayman had been in the shop getting some last minute stuff done before the lease turn in, and they provided me an '11 Cayman with PDK. So 2 days of driving that and then into the 135... perfect comparison.

What I can say is that DCT is hands down far superior to PDK. You really can "have it your way" with DCT. Smooth shifts in D, press sport to sharpen things up, then slide the shifter over to S and those shifts just BANG. Throttle blips in M mode are a riot. The PDK was definitely good, but the steering wheel shifters are god-awful, and the shifter design just plain bleagh.

The 135 does not handle as well as the Cayman, I think there is no argument there. But taking my favorite twisty onramp this morning, I had just the same sh*t eating grin on my face as in the Cayman when that wall of torque kicked in! And really that's what driving is about for me - seat of the pants driving pleasure.

For me personally, I have begun to discover that while I love driving dearly, I am not the "track" enthusiast I was. Or thought I was. The 135 fits me way better. Some of my (male) friends have asked me why I'm "downgrading" - and I just smile. I'm getting a lot more for way less $$.

As far as the HK sound goes, I know there has been a lot of discussion and maybe I just don't know better but it blows me away. I regularly drive an '09 S550 at work with HK sound and I don't find it nearly as engaging. For the money, I feel I got a bargain.

Kinda glad I didn't get iDrive. Again, maybe I don't know better, but I have driven other BMWs with it and I found it a little distracting. Also I am less tempted to fiddle with the controls while moving, and more likely to keep eyes on the road. I really wanted the convenience package but I think I'll survive.

So those are my impressions. Two radically different vehicles but they do get cross shopped so I think the comparisons are valid. Now, if I can just add that Boxster Spyder to the garage....
      01-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
teddyb
Private
Rep

One final thing - I was a die hard stick guy - never owned an auto. Opel Corsa, Cooper S, Cayman, hell, my Dodge Dakota! But this DCT has got me rethinking everything I thought I knew.
      01-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #21
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
I seriously considered a 2007 Cayman S 6MT, but while it had all the virtues you mentioned (handling, brakes, transmission, engine, build quality) it also had all the vices (insufficient extended warranty despite being CPO, no practical space, ingress and egress challenged), the real killer for me was the drone in the exhaust at just off highway cruising speeds. 10 minutes later and I had a headache. "Part of the Porsche experience!" I was told. "Never experienced it in any other Porsche!", I replied.
I have both a CS and a 135i. I don't know if the CS you drove had an aftermarket exhaust or not (maybe it had the Porsche Performance Exhaust), but my CS is quiet, almost too quiet. Equal to 135i IMO.

The Cayman is a prettier car, IMO the best looking most affordable car Porsche has made. (The Carrera GT is my personal fav)

In short the CS is the best handling car I have ever driven. Better than the E30 M3. The 135i is a daily driver, the low end torque is addicting, wish the CS had same.

Last edited by Jaguar66; 01-01-2011 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #22
teddyb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
In short the CS is the best handling car I have ever driven. Better than the E30 M3. The 135i is a daily driver, the low end torque is addicting, wish the CS had same.
I've heard some success stories with TPC turbo kits for the CS. GT3 performance and loads of low end grunt. If you're feeling froggy!