F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > ACC in roundabouts
Extreme Powerhouse

12-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
franzli72
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

Exclamation ACC in roundabouts

ECO PRO mode knows when there is a turn or a roundabout or a change of speed limit and warns you for that.

Why the same features are not used for the other functions like ACC?

ACC is a great feature, especially when you have to drive after a car in front of you at a moderate speed.

When you approach a roundabout, the car breaks, following the car in front of you, but when the other car enters the roundabout is not visible anymore by the radar and therefore it starts accelerating stupidly.

I believe there is a lot BMW could do to improve these systems.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Stay closer to the car in front!

I never use mine on roads that have roundabouts, it is mostly highway driving or if it is stop n go traffic on smaller roads so I have never been in a situation where I had your "problem".
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Using GPS data for self-driving decisions is a bit risky. Then your slightly out-of-date maps will lead to the car doing something crazy.

Indeed, the current ACC behavior (where the car only assumes you are driving in a straight line) is sub-optimal, which is why cars like the new S class have a stereoscopic camera and a central decision making that integrates all the info from the sensors. I'm sure this is going to come down to the 3 series too, it's just a matter of time. What you're noticing is simply that ACC is not designed to be auto-throttle for city driving.
      12-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Please don't wish for cars to have even more technology that lets people do everything but actually drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
Please don't wish for cars to have even more technology that lets people do everything but actually drive.
Maybe we are wishing the car can help make us all safer while people do everything but actually drive!
      12-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli72 View Post
ECO PRO mode knows when there is a turn or a roundabout or a change of speed limit and warns you for that.

Why the same features are not used for the other functions like ACC?

ACC is a great feature, especially when you have to drive after a car in front of you at a moderate speed.

When you approach a roundabout, the car breaks, following the car in front of you, but when the other car enters the roundabout is not visible anymore by the radar and therefore it starts accelerating stupidly.

I believe there is a lot BMW could do to improve these systems.
Does it keep accelerating while you're in the roundabout?

I would understand why it would accelerate while you're entering the roundabout (since for the ACC, you're not turning yet and there's no longer a car in front of you) - but not while you're actually turning.

The ACC in my Volvo would not accelerate while you're in a turn...

That said, I would not use the ACC in a scenario like this. IMO ACC is designed to be used mainly on a highway, or traffic jam situation - not somewhere you'd actually have to stop & yield to other cars...
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

The ACC will not accelerate if the wheels is turned past a point, and some smaller round abouts make you turn this much.

As Rossi said, stay closer to him so the radar sees him even though you are both in the turn. He doesn´t have to be right in front of you, but the radar will see him if your wheels are turned and your trajectory is bent towards his ass.

I often use it in cty driving and in round abouts, cause its fun and I´m very impressed with how it works and I have learnt to anticipate when the car will disappear from the the radars "reading area" (Imagine a triangle in front of you with the top edge eminating from the radar). In highway driving this system is the bomb, works so good even in curves and with traffic cause the car calculates your path depending on how the wheels are turned and where the other cars are. No problem even with oncoming traffic and multiple lanes.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
uh, why not? people are terrible drivers. most accidents are caused by people not paying attention or not reacting fast enough. the day cars can drive themselves will be glorious.

50% of young deaths are from auto accidents. people suck at driving, period.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
uh, why not? people are terrible drivers. most accidents are caused by people not paying attention or not reacting fast enough. the day cars can drive themselves will be glorious.

50% of young deaths are from auto accidents. people suck at driving, period.
Because if we continue the trend, we will end up not being able to drive at all. At this point, cars like BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. become irrelevant since you will no longer experience driving pleasure. At this point, I will get a Toyota or Honda and call it a day.

We are simply placing more systems around people trying to address their faults but not working on the people trying to address our faults. This can only lead to a cyclical pattern where people will stop using their brains and instead, rely on technology to manage their lives.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post
Because if we continue the trend, we will end up not being able to drive at all. At this point, cars like BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. become irrelevant since you will no longer experience driving pleasure. At this point, I will get a Toyota or Honda and call it a day.

We are simply placing more systems around people trying to address their faults but not working on the people trying to address our faults. This can only lead to a cyclical pattern where people will stop using their brains and instead, rely on technology to manage their lives.

Yeah -- what we need is a sharp spear protruding from the steering wheel hub, pointed at the driver's heart.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Some tech can actually be very useful...

It probably saved me from a fender bender...

I was at a roundabout with a car in front of me. As the car in front of me started going into the roundabout, I decided I had time as well to go in so I started looking left to make sure I'm safe, while I started advancing as well.
For some unknown reason, the car in front of me braked and stopped half way into the roundabout (I was still looking left, thinking the other car already got through the roundabout).
As I turned around to look straight, I saw the car stopped, heard the car warning, pressed the brakes, but the car had already done that for me...
I probably would have had time to brake in time myself, but it definitely would have been later.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post

I was at a roundabout with a car in front of me. As the car in front of me started going into the roundabout, I decided I had time as well to go in so I started looking left to make sure I'm safe, while I started advancing as well.
For some unknown reason, the car in front of me braked and stopped half way into the roundabout (I was still looking left, thinking the other car already got through the roundabout).
As I turned around to look straight, I saw the car stopped, heard the car warning, pressed the brakes, but the car had already done that for me...
I probably would have had time to brake in time myself, but it definitely would have been later.

See post #9 above.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
See post #9 above.
Yeah...let's just agree to disagree
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Yeah...let's just agree to disagree
I hear what you are saying. This system in particular can save lives and/or alot of money. The fault still lies with the thought process of the driver in front of you.

Many drivers do not think about the consequences of what they do anymore, if they see the smallest thing they may slam on the brakes with total disregard and lack of thought of the time it takes the human mind to react to a situation and process an action (i.e. moving the foot to the brake pedal). It's a sad reality.

So long as we can drive freely, I am happy.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post
I hear what you are saying. This system in particular can save lives and/or alot of money. The fault still lies with the thought process of the driver in front of you.

Many drivers do not think about the consequences of what they do anymore, if they see the smallest thing they may slam on the brakes with total disregard and lack of thought of the time it takes the human mind to react to a situation and process an action (i.e. moving the foot to the brake pedal). It's a sad reality.

So long as we can drive freely, I am happy.
I concur that the tech will improve safety. I contest the statement in bold. Not to poke anyone in the eye, but the responsibility lies with EVERY driver to make sure they are aware and in control at all times. I made the comment I did because of this statement:

"I decided I had time as well to go in so I started looking left to make sure I'm safe, while I started advancing as well."

This is where things went wrong. You never keep rolling forward when behind another vehicle while looking in another direction. Never assume that the other drivers will be acting as you expect them to. In this scenario, another car up ahead could have stopped. Someone could have stepped off the curb. Anything could have happened. But it really doesn't matter. If there wasn't brake assist and he did hit the car in front of him, it would have been his fault 100%. Not the leading driver.

New tech that increases safety is great. But it's akin to dumbing down the system to support the lowest common denominator. The more safety nets we have, the less motivation there will be do do things properly without a nanny to save your bacon.

Moral of the story - PAY ATTENTION and don't ASSUME that everyone else on the road will do what you would in a given situation...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
dvk92
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435xi MG, M1&2, HK, LED

Anyone ever thought that if we removed the 'tech' from the cars - mobile, nav, touch screens, etc and just went back to driving (and focusing), we wouldn't need all this 'life/money saving' technology.

Just focus on driving, stay alert - that'll save lives....and money.

Just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

I'm perfectly aware that it would have been my fault, but that's not the issue here.
I was trying to show how some tech does improve safety.
Like the introduction of ESP as a standard feature on cars, dramatically lowered the number of crashes, so I argue, could a feature like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvk92 View Post
Anyone ever thought that if we removed the 'tech' from the cars - mobile, nav, touch screens, etc and just went back to driving (and focusing), we wouldn't need all this 'life/money saving' technology.

Just sayin'
I agree that there is a lot more that can distract you in a car nowadays, but I still think that this kid of tech would be needed (or welcomed) even if we didn't have these distractions in the car. Accidents were happening since the invention of the car - as long as there are humans behind the wheel there will be accidents.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #18
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvk92 View Post

Just sayin'
My buddy rips on me because our cars have that Auto Hill Hold delay. He claims I'll become so used to it that when I drive one of his cars I'll roll back into somebody. I never had a problem with hills anyway--don't use the handbrake.

It's nice to use the technology, but just don't become an "Asiana pilot".
      12-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #19
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
It's nice to use the technology, but just don't become an "Asiana pilot".
Best analogy ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #20
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Moral of the story - PAY ATTENTION and don't ASSUME that everyone else on the road will do what you would in a given situation...
I agree 100%. Most drivers are too busy yapping on phones without paying attention, eating MacD's, putting on make up or yelling at you because you stayed in the correct lane on a two lane left turn.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #21
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:

Does BMW offer this sort of tech on the 3 series?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #22
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Does BMW offer this sort of tech on the 3 series?
Yes, but I'm not about to try it out. I was on the freeway the other day, trying out Advanced Cruise Control and the traffic ahead slowed suddenly. A double chine went off, something flashed red somewhere (HUD or dash. I can't remember) and I went for the breaks, errrr, brakes (sorry, couldn't resist).

With the ACC, I believe the system would have applied the breaks, errrr, brakes itself until the vehicle was stopped, even if ACC wasn't active.

But, as I said, that's as close as I want to get to trying it!