F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > E60 M5 driving impression from an E90 335i owner
ARMA SPEED

07-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
VDPHB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

E60 M5 driving impression from an E90 335i owner

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my experience this holiday weekend with an M5....

As a point of reference, I have owned a VW Corrado, Prelude VTEC, E46 328i and now own an E90 335i. My friend gave me the privilege of taking his wife's (yup...wife's) Alpine White/Black M5 for the entire holiday weekend while they were out of town, so I had a chance to sample it extensively in highway, city, and the occasional twisty road and on-ramp and just wanted to share my impressions with those of us who might aspire to something higher in the BMW model range....

Interior - The Nappa leather on the seats, dash, and doors definitely adds an air of exclusivity that is lacking in the 3 series. From the alcantara headliner to the M steering wheel and paddle shifters, everything is a couple notches above my 3. Of course, it is twice as much money with a 97K sticker price.

I will say I've always been a fan of the sport seats in the 5 series, and the M5 doesn't disappoint. The adjustable and active side bolsters are great...at first I thought they were a distraction, but when driving hard, the active bolsters are nice. One option that I wish my car had available was seat ventilation or at least the perforated leather. For someone with "sweaty back syndrome", they really do work! On a final note, the "M Enhanced Audio" (i.e. similar to the full digital system available on the M3 and a step above Logic 7) is definitely a step up and dare I say a good value for $700 on the M5, with deeper and punchier bass. It's still not as good as most of the Mark Levinson systems to this casual listener's ears though.

On to the driving experience....the first thing is that having been a former manual transmission driver and coming from my Steptronic 335i (yes....I gave in, although I sometimes regret it), I have to say that one's opinion of the SMG III transmission in the M5 really depends on where you're coming from. If you're coming from a manual and you are excellent at heel and toeing and matching revs, you won't like it....I never was the best at these skills, so I enjoyed the throttle blipping on downshifts, the smooth slipping of the clutch off the line and in reverse, and the quick upshifts. Furthermore, at full bore in S6, the shifts are incredibly fast, yet harsh even. For daily driving, the fact that the SMG downshifts back to 1st or 2nd when you slow to a near stop or stop is nice. The key here is that if you are trying to drive it smoothly, you've got to drive it like a manual and lift off the throttle slightly to avoid the jerking your passengers around. It's easy to master and definitely something anyone can do if they try.

If you're coming from an automatic transmission and expect to drive it in "D" or expect smooth manual shifts, forget it. Simply put, you can't drive it smoothly if you drive it like an automatic. The shifts are unpredictable and poorly executed (from a smoothness standpoint), resulting in head jerk. So if you buy this car with an SMG, expect to shift it yourself, but it is a very happy medium between a step and manual. I'm sure the DCT would be a nearly perfect compromise (tactile interaction notwithstanding).

The ride and handling trade off is spectacular and I have to credit part of it to the non-run flat tires, longer wheelbase, EDC, and active anti-roll bars. The car rides more smoothly than my 335i Sport, yet corners flatter. There is much less impact harshness and the car just grips like no tomorrow. I will concede that the steering is a bit light at lower speeds, but feel communication is just as good as my three, if a little more filtered.

Now the power...bear in mind that this car is broken in, so P500 mode (500 HP) was available. In 400 HP mode, the car is docile...almost to the point of being boring. It's smooth, yet takes a lot of throttle to get it going and with an 8250 RPM redline, my 335i will easily beat it in the cut and thrust of daily driving.

In P500 Sport mode, as Jeremy on Top Gear would say..."GET OUT OF THE WAY"! This thing is a monster. It just loves revs. The only other engines that I've experienced that love to rev as much are Honda DOHC VTEC engines, but the M5's engine has more torque, a much meaner snarl, and a blaring exhaust note. With such a high redline and wide power band, I was disappointed that I could never truly realize it's true potential. The fact that I was able to hit 110 on an onramp and the car not even feel strained was sobering. This car truly comes alive when driven hard and if anything, feels held back and unhappy tooling around town.

There was a BMWCCA Autocross this past weekend and my friend gave me his blessing to Autocross it, but I felt that he should have the first shot of the car in a controlled environment, not me. Believe me though, I was tempted....

In the end, as I was driving the car back to it's owners, I pulled up to my buddy's house and saw my car parked out front and thought to myself..."Ugh, I have to slum it and go back to my car". But the funny thing is, the minute I hopped back into my car and pulled out of the neighborhood, I realized several things...

1. The 335i really moves off the line and loves to rev. It feels much faster than the M5 off the line, but give the M5 some room and it's no contest. Dare I say that the sound of the 335i's engine is more sonorous than the M5's. Not as thrilling or aggressive, but more beautiful.

2. "Adjustability" - The M5 has way too many adjustments on it. There are 3 power/throttle settings, 6 manual shift modes, 5 auto shift modes, 3 EDC modes, 3 DSC settings, and 2 steering settings. That's just to decide how much power the car should have, how it should shift, how it should ride, how much trouble it should let you get into, and how heavy the steering should feel. I completely realize that once you set the M Mode, you pretty much drive it in default P400 mode or M Mode, but gimme a break. Just let me drive the damn thing! (I must be getting old.)

3. Gas - I realize that if you have enough money to afford an M5, gas isn't an issue, but I did have a laugh when the low fuel warning came on and there was still 1/4 of the tank (18.5 gallon tank). At that point, with 4 gallons, the range was reading 66 miles. Let's just say 11 City/17 Hwy. I was able to eke out 18.8 MPG over an 80 mile highway stint driving it like a Prius, but realistically, expect 13 MPG in mixed driving. On the same 80 mile drive home, I averaged 29 in my 335i. My friend's wife jokes that she feels like she's constantly putting fuel into the M5 and now I believe her.

4. Reliability - My friend's car just has 2000 miles on it, so no problems yet, but the fact that dealers won't CPO an M5 says a lot about the expected reliability and/or repair cost down the road in my opinion. On the good side, the normal operating temperature of the oil is 210 degrees, so it's definitely less stressed than the N54 Twin Turbo engine.

Conclusion:

I thought I would be bummed hopping back into my 335i from the M5. From all of power to the size, handling, and ride combination and plethora of comfort features, I figured my car would feel like a stripped tin can, kinda like going from the Space Shuttle to a Cessna. Surprisingly, I think I like it better than the M5 for my needs. It's punchier around town, sized perfectly for urban and suburban driving, and more tactile with the road while still be comfortable enough. It definitely doesn't have the edge that the M5 possesses, but to be frank, the M5 felt unhappy around town and in casual highway driving. Like a Honda/Acura VTEC engine, you have to drive it like you're pissed at it for it to come alive. Get it to that point and the M5 is spectacular.

I never thought I would ever say this, but there is such thing as too much car and for me, the M5 was the first car I've driven to reach that point. It's so good, it's silly to drive it around town and almost a waste of money.

In the end, given the $97,000 MSRP on the M5 I drove, I'd rather buy a 335i or an M3 and buy a second car with the $45,000 or $30,000 I would have left over to really have some fun or utility with if I needed it.

No disrespect to those who have an M5, because if I could afford one, I'd take it, but I'm not only content, I'm very happy with my 335i purchase.

My apologies for the length of this, but as a car fanatic, I figured that I should share my experience and thoughts with those who might be interested....thanks for reading!

Last edited by VDPHB; 07-07-2008 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
MrClean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 428i

Great write-up. Regarding the "too much car for me" comment, I had the same reaction to the current M3. For my driving, the 335i is a great choice. The thing is, every time I get close to "fun" (on a straight road), my 85mph chime goes off, and I'm reminded to cool it. I think it would be much worse in an M3, because they don't come alive until you're much further up the tach. At least in the 335i, you get the sensation of speed and grunt at a much more practical rpm. At the track, or on the Autobahn, the M3 would be spectacular, but I think on a daily basis, driving an M would be an exercise in frustration. I would also be a lot more conscious of fuel consumption anytime I tried to have fun in the M.

Outside of the run-flats' performance over uneven pavement during high-speed turns (nervous, jittery handling), the 335i has been very, very satisfying. I've had a chance to take it on some tight, curvy mountain roads, and it was an absolute blast.

J

Last edited by MrClean; 07-07-2008 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Enjoyed your entertaining impressions!

There is some truth to the saying: it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 03:03 AM   #4
dhan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 TiAg E92 335i

great review, i enjoyed reading it from start to finish.

Quote:
There is some truth to the saying: it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
kushtrimp
Ambassador
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post
great review, i enjoyed reading it from start to finish.

+1
+100

I must say though... this is one of the best reviews for an M5 that i've read, coming from a personal driving experience and not some magazine article. I really want to drive an M5 for a few days just to compare the experience against my M3...

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
equ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Croc & toaster

While I haven't driven one, seems spot on... I've found with most recent M cars in general that they really are a chore around town if you're just trying to putter around. The shifts don't work as well (even in manual), the suspension jitters, etc. etc. Accelerating on to a highway though, well, that's what they're made for.

The e46m3 had this to a large degree. Not a great suspension and a stiff shifter meant a car less smooth than non-M e46's. It all came together if you beat up on the car. The e36m3 is a bit better in that regard, but ultimately a good deal slower (at least in the US). So it's interesting that the e60m5 is like the e46m3 (which also had crappy smg, I personally preferred manual for simplicity and street use).

O.P., what do you think of the e90m3?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Great analysis and write-up. Thank you.

The most interesting part is your "too much car" statement. Enthusiasts always seem to crave more, but you make the points that the 335 is enough for most people and that cost isn't the only downside for going to the next level. I have a 2008 328 with 6MT and it is more annoying to drive in every traffic than most cars because it wants to run and it can't.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDPHB View Post
On the good side, the normal operating temperature of the oil is 210 degrees, so it's definitely less stressed than the N54 Twin Turbo engine.
It also uses tank oil. 10-40 I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Thanks dude!... enjoy the auto-X, let us know what you think after that.
      07-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Awesome writeup!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

good review, lucky guy to get to try it out for a weekend!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Thanks dude!... enjoy the auto-X, let us know what you think after that.
He said he didn't do it because he wanted his friend to first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
uabimmer
Україна
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: JB e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2003 330i  [0.00]
Great writeup bro

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #15
ry333
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

cool reviewww
      07-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
VDPHB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
While I haven't driven one, seems spot on... I've found with most recent M cars in general that they really are a chore around town if you're just trying to putter around. The shifts don't work as well (even in manual), the suspension jitters, etc. etc. Accelerating on to a highway though, well, that's what they're made for.

The e46m3 had this to a large degree. Not a great suspension and a stiff shifter meant a car less smooth than non-M e46's. It all came together if you beat up on the car. The e36m3 is a bit better in that regard, but ultimately a good deal slower (at least in the US). So it's interesting that the e60m5 is like the e46m3 (which also had crappy smg, I personally preferred manual for simplicity and street use).

O.P., what do you think of the e90m3?
Hey,

Thanks for the compliments everyone...

I haven't driven an E90 M3, so I can't give a point of reference there. To keep it within the family, I have driven both my sister's and friend's E60 530is quite a bit and the M5 is every bit as comfortable riding as those cars. It "just" has a much larger performance envelope on all levels. That's what makes cars like the M3/5 (and all BMWs to a lesser extent) so special I suppose. The fact that they are comfortable and practical, yet they have limits that most of us will never be able to realize on the street.

It's almost (keyword...almost) tragic that the M cars are street cars. I wish we had access to something like the 'ring here dotted all over the US so these cars can go where they were meant to be. CCA track and autocross days are great though!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
VDPHB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
Great analysis and write-up. Thank you.

The most interesting part is your "too much car" statement. Enthusiasts always seem to crave more, but you make the points that the 335 is enough for most people and that cost isn't the only downside for going to the next level. I have a 2008 328 with 6MT and it is more annoying to drive in every traffic than most cars because it wants to run and it can't.

Thanks again.
I agree with you 100%. Coming from an E46 328i, I was able to use most of that car's 193 HP on a regular basis on the street. I figured the E90 328i that you have would be more than enough for me...and then I drove and purchased the 335i.

The funny thing is, I rarely can open up the twin turbo engine because before I know it, I'm doing a 90 on a freeway on-ramp or a century on the highway and have to back down to protect my driving record and pocketbook.

As sad and as taboo it is to say this, the Europeans seem to have it right with the huge line of engines they have available. It's almost too bad that we only get the top engines here in the US. Don't think I don't love my 335i though...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #18
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As sad and as taboo it is to say this, the Europeans seem to have it right with the huge line of engines they have available. It's almost too bad that we only get the top engines here in the US..
I'd sign up for a 330d with 6MT any day! ()
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #19
marcos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: jerez m3 coupe

Good read. Thanks for sharing this with us.

e92 M3 Jerez Black, Fox Red Interior, Heated Seats, Satellite Radio, 18's
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
F1-Slayer
the stig
Rep
Drives: stealth

cool write-up thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #21
gbelton
TheArchitect
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Good Review "M Owners are Different"

Quote:
Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience this holiday weekend with an M5....
Good details describing your experience with the E60 (///M5) with SMG. I enjoyed your qualitative explanation for the interior details. You are correct about the power the ///M5 has that is rarely used but to be honest, it's not about if you can use it or how many times the POWER is used but more that you have it and can use it (Short bursts) if and when you desire.

As you stated, different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your 335i.
      07-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #22
gbelton
TheArchitect
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Smile The M Requires Higher Synthetic Oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
It also uses tank oil. 10-40 I think.
No not a tank of oil, just 9 litres of Synthetic 10w60 by Castrol which is also used in the current E92 (///M3)