F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bluetooth problem on 2014 F30 with no NAV (Oct 2013 build)
Extreme Powerhouse

03-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
unter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i basic black

Unhappy Bluetooth problem on 2014 F30 with no NAV (Oct 2013 build)

I think people are running into the same problem
I am pairing my T-Mobile Samsung (Galaxy SIII and Note 3, both) JB 4.3 with no problem, but in several minutes it disconnects. Looks to me like the key is Android 4.3. Earlier versions are pairing well (dealer did paired Motorolla phone). I am not sure what 4.4 Kit Kat will bring with coming upgrade.

I have no Nav small screen iDrive display and I have Combox in trunk. iDrive disconnecting bluetooth with message 'Please Wait' several times several minutes apart and then resetting itself in such manner that even pairing info disappears. I used recommended by somebody SW upgrade via USB. It not only didn't help, next time iDrive reset itseve, it reverted software to original version. Works the same on both phones.

I tried at the dealer with then same BY 2014 3 series car no Nav - the same problem
I tried at the dealer with then same BY 2014 3 series car with Nav and there is no problem at all.

It means to me BMW put different (buggy) software in no NAV version of iDrive with different compatibility problems and doesn't bother to advertise it.
On BMW.com doesn't separate NAV configuration for phone compatibility, so it should be the same even with different type of software.

Any thoughts, solutions?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
ardyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 320xi

I've got the AT&T GS3 (Running stock 4.3) on a MY 2014 320 and I've generally had no problems. Once or twice, it's not connected from the get go, but turning the screen on the phone seems to fix that.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
unter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyer View Post
I've got the AT&T GS3 (Running stock 4.3) on a MY 2014 320 and I've generally had no problems. Once or twice, it's not connected from the get go, but turning the screen on the phone seems to fix that.
Thanks for your reply, ardyer

Looks like there is a chance I solved 2 months of mystery. Yesterday I decided to test an option to deny access to phone book / contacts on BT connection to my Galaxy Note 3, because I see that in Phone Book on the iDrive, it showing Transferring data. So I did following
  1. Deleted pairing from the phone
  2. Deleted pairing from iDrive
  3. Turned BT on the phone off
  4. Turned it back on in a minute, so it loses all cache
  5. Paire phone as usual
  6. It provides 2 dialog boxes 1) Allow access contacts 2) Allow access messages. I denied both of them considering it is lower priority
Connection seems stable and reconnects well.

Thinking about what could of happened, I came to conclusion, that my phone book is a reason. It is quite large (~900) contacts and all of them in google. If Nav version loads them easy and it keeps connected well. No Nav version overflowing storage of Phone book on the car and causing 'Please Wait' state, which could be a type of iDrive crash. It recovers on it's own and connects to phone again in cycle. Several crashes leads to total reset of iDrive, which loosing not only pairing information, but also downgrades software update to factory version from version I loaded via thumb drive.
Looks like a badly handled exception case in iDrive software. But at least workaround works.

If somebody knows how I can increase limits of Phone book in No Nav BY 2014 F30 (via codding?), I would really appreciate it. It is not as important, but it would be nice to have contacts synced.

Last edited by unter; 03-15-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
I am not aware of any setting, nor a limit on the number of Contacts, but I am not convinced this is the issue.

I have had 3 different Blackberry's since I bought my F10, and I have over 1100 Contacts in my cellphone, and my BT never drops.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #5
unter
United_States
Rep

Do you have Navigation (headunit)? As i mentioned in my first post, there is no problem with that implementation of iDrive, I tested. I have no Nav system with COMBOX. Looks like it is different implementation.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Yes, I have 609 Navigation Professional.

And this problem for you happens with multiple different phones?

Have they all been Droids? Maybe test it with an iPhone or Blackberry to see if it makes a difference.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
unter
United_States
Rep

Yea, I tested on the same year NAV model and it loads all my contacts no problem. Works well. But it is totally different software implementation with wide screen and more options. That was my recent finding. No Nav model is different hardware and software if I understand correctly.
I do not have Blackberry, but dealer claims that he tested with iPhone and it works fine. Well, they tested with Motorola Droid (older version of android), where there was fewer contacts and all of them where on the phone (not google contacts). That was working fine too.
I was testing on Galaxy S3 JellyBens 4.3, Note 3 JellyBens 4.3 and Note 3 KitKat 4.4.
I've got it working on Note 3 KitKat 4.4 while denying access to phone contacts and messages. I can test it with S3 4.3 if anybody interested, when I have time to play with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
ardyer
Private
Rep

Based on your current hypothesis, I can say that I have less than a hundred contacts on my Galaxy S 3.

Have you tried coding enhanced Bluetooth? I had that done yesterday and I seem to be getting the nav-style interface. No idea if that effects the contacts though.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
unter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyer View Post
Based on your current hypothesis, I can say that I have less than a hundred contacts on my Galaxy S 3.

Have you tried coding enhanced Bluetooth? I had that done yesterday and I seem to be getting the nav-style interface. No idea if that effects the contacts though.
Thanks. It is important to differentiate test cases, I guess. are your contacts on device, on SIM or Google Contacts? I see that the difference so far in service (AT&T vs TMO) and number of contacts.

Yes, I have done codding. It has BT audio now, thanks to Shawn's and Frogman's instruvtions . That is pretty cool. I think at some point I will add Office, but that is much lower priority for me.

Last edited by unter; 03-16-2014 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
ardyer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unter View Post
Thanks. It is important to differentiate test cases, I guess. are your contacts on device, on SIM or Google Contacts? I see that the difference so far in service (AT&T vs TMO) and number of contacts.

Yes, I have done codding. It has BT audio now, thanks to Shawn's and Frogman's instruvtions . That is pretty cool. I think at some point I will add Office, but that is much lower priority for me.
I keep all my contacts in google. I've lost too many contacts leaving them on the sim
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
unter
United_States
Rep

Then your case is different with mine only by number of contacts, seems. So, it proves my conclusion.
Appreciate 0