E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Music fades in and out, Phone icon not in menu consistently.

08-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
wowdugalle
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Exclamation Music fades in and out, Phone icon not in menu consistently.

Hello all, first post by the way. Unfortunate that it is to ask for help. I have searched extensively on these forums and have yet to find someone who is having the same problem as me. My car was working perfectly yesterday until I got back in it and tried to turn the stereo on. It turned on, but the music now fades on and off like the car is receiving a phone call. I try to go the phone menu but it keeps disappearing and re-appearing and I can only access it for 5 seconds at a time. I've tried removing the fuses for the phone and that causes the fade issue to go away, but also causes the phone and SOS systems not to work. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Thank you for your time.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
wowdugalle
Registered
Rep

Just wanted to update you. The problem is definitely not the head unit of the stereo system. I had it checked out by some professionals. Does anyone have an idea? I'm desperate. I've been without music for 3 months now

Thank you for your time!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Try the professionals at the dealer. Most probably your TCU is defective.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
wowdugalle
Registered
Rep

The problem with that is they want $750 to just run the tests. I absolutely hate the dealer's maintenance center here. I've had issues with them in the past and I'll be damned if I give them that sum of money. Plus I swore I'd never go back to them. I guess I'll have to drive to another one a little further away.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowdugalle View Post
The problem with that is they want $750 to just run the tests. I absolutely hate the dealer's maintenance center here. I've had issues with them in the past and I'll be damned if I give them that sum of money. Plus I swore I'd never go back to them. I guess I'll have to drive to another one a little further away.
You can test this by yourself for about $35 or so:

- get a MOST termination loop (search for the P/N in here)
- unplug the TCU completely
- plug MOST termination loop at the MOST connector
- drive a couple of days around to see if the audio keeps fading in and out. I bet that it won't.

If in fact this solves your issue then it is time to get a replacement TCU unless what it is really needed is a software update. Only the dealer can tell you.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
wowdugalle
Registered
Rep

Thank you for your help. I'll order one and see if that roots out the problem. Would happen to have any idea what sort of cost I'm looking at to have it replaced? or recoded if I find one myself?
Appreciate 0