E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is the 335i a shit car to own?

Closed Thread

01-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #67
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, montego Blue

Don't fool around with the 335i. Get the 335d, its a nice bullet proof engine, it is more fun to drive and will resale better in the future. If your really serious about keeping the car for long run the 335d is the only choice. Get a CPO 335d if you can't afford new. You will never look back, the only thing is after you've had the "d" for awhile you'll never buy a gasser again.

HS
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #68
petrolheaduzman
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Yes I think my 335i will make it to 160K miles. I, on the other hand, may not. LOL (I don't drive very much. I put 20K on this past year-- definitely a fluke -- but in the first three years, I put only 19K miles on the car.) FWIW, my prior BMW was a 1993 318i. The astounding thing to me about that car was that even when I disposed of it, the engine didn't need rebuilding...eventually though, its new owners did rebuild it (200K miles).

I don't know forced induction from forced forfeit, sorry. I trust that the manufacturer would not have built and sold me a piece of crap. They value their reputation too much to do that.

I must admit that me thinks thou dost protesteth too much. No rudeness intended. I just feel that if you are buying a new BMW (maybe you aren't?) that you likely have the means not to have to worry about the durability of your car past 7 or 8 years, for there's little forcing you to keep it that long. So it either lasts or it doesn't.

If you are buying used, you should not buy one older than two years, IMO, but I"d say that with regard to any used vehicle, not just BMWs. That way you get the benefit of a good deal of time between the original warranty and the CPO one's expiration. You should also seek one with fewer than 20K miles on the clock. If you are buying a used BMW that doesn't meet those criteria, you should be prepared to accept the risk (it's a risk with any car, and it's certainly true that it may be a risk that never materializes) that the money you saved currently by buying an older vehicle may be money you'll need to spend over the course of the coming years to obtain service and repairs.

As I'm certain you realize these things, I don't really understand why all the fuss. By the nature of your questions, you seem to know quite a bit about cars. Use your best judgment; it will serve you well...There's little doubt that the 328i you already own is likely to be be the more durable and less costly car to own over the long haul.

You've already observed that the 335i is an intoxicating car. All intoxicating activities require one pay the piper...eventually. FWIW, in large measure, you can obtain most of the benefits of the current 335i in an e46 M3 which you can buy at very reasonable prices, even the ones in excellent condition. My dealer had one a few weeks ago that could be had for $14 USD. I seriously considered buying it to give to a family member, but because I got a very good deal on a 2011 328i sedan, I didn't. You may want to consider buying one and keeping your 328i....

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks a lot, just the type of advice i was looking for. Its just the forced induction part that scares me, but i drove my freinds car again today. IT IS WELL WORTH IT!!!!! Can't wait to pick one up.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #69
petrolheaduzman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
Ah I didn't mean for it to come off that bad but sometimes people post the most ridiculous topics such as even mention a bimmer as a piece of shit bothers me,I think that you could understand.You not liking the barf too much huh?lol how's this
you need to read properly before you make illegitimate claims, I am strictly referring to the ownership experience, hence the title "is the 335i a shit car to own?" that hook looking thing is called a question mark indicating a question.

Also if you look at the context the word "shit" is used in you can realize that the word by no means is describing the car it self.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #70
petrolheaduzman
Rep

I was looking to import a 335i from the U.S as the price difference between Canada is a min of $5 grand Canadian after importation. How much can of a margin do US used car dealers have and can be negotiated down.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #71
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

If you're so worried about the car, then get yourself a Honda or Toyota.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #72
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonScott View Post
Don't fool around with the 335i. Get the 335d, its a nice bullet proof engine, it is more fun to drive and will resale better in the future. If your really serious about keeping the car for long run the 335d is the only choice. Get a CPO 335d if you can't afford new. You will never look back, the only thing is after you've had the "d" for awhile you'll never buy a gasser again.

HS
andddddddddd it's auto only so there goes that......
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #73
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

my 2c :

Mine was not "reliable".
- AC broke twice
- Wastegate rattle
- Turbo whine
- A couple irrelevant items (eg. shift knob cracked)

All in all, my [previous] 15 year old accord (which my family had since new) had less issues.
Only 1 significant drivetrain issue, actually. I replaced an ignition module for $50 bucks.

My current old accord beater hasn't had any issues in the last few years...

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #74
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

LMAO....

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Waah!

The OP is a bad man!