BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Run Flat Tyres

I did look for a thread on this and could not find one so sorry if this is a repeat.

Waiting on our X3 delivery in May, very excited, and have ordered the RFT options as given the size of the car and that my wife will often drive alone they seem like a good idea. - A small price to pay for a easier life.

We will take the insurance option - its a no brainer - but just wondered if anyone had any other thoughts on them.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

In Italy the RFT tires come with one of the packages you can choose, it's the second car I'm getting with RFT and so far they have proven to be really effective.

Just to make an example, day of trip for vacation, 400kms to go to catch a ferry. After 10 km I get the annoying beep and info of a low pressure tire... what to do? Just got to a gas station got it inflated and went to the port to catch the ferry.

When I arrived I got the signal again and went again at a gas station (40 km from the port), got it inflated and brought family to the hotel.

The day after, family at the beach and me at the tire shop to get it repaired. Which was done with no more trouble.

As a "con" the tires are harder than the normal ones and bumps on the road can be felt much more. And, if they get bad damage, just call assistance.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Hi Plymjack

What is the insurance option and cost?

Thanks
QT
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
baldyboy30
Rep
Drives: Mini Countryman All4

Thumbs down

I dont agree with RFT, as I had them on my 18" alloys on Countryman all4, they made me feel every little bump on the road. I regret for that and I am going for old traditional ones for my new X3.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

My wife has RFT on her new 1 series. With the latest generation tyres on new models you can't tell the difference ride is brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

The ride quality on RFT's is subjective - just like trying to answer the same question for 19/20" wheels and sport suspension. You have to make up your own mind based on all the factors. Having an easy time from the wife, who may be a regular driver, if she got a puncture will be 'worth more' to some more than others!

I have non-rft as I prefer lower noise and allowance for poor UK road quality. Plus during my driving career for the number of punctures I have had is not worth making an allowance for. OK - for sure, the next time I get a flat it will probably be when on holiday or at a time when the whole family is onboard, however, I can live with that.

I also think using a can of emergency repair on a standard tyre that may well ruin it is no worse than a non-repairable RFT - I also own my F25 so I have to pay for the rubber.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

RFT cannot be repaired which is their only major drawback. Getting a puncture on a brand new tyre would be expensive! The stiffer side walls mean that bumps are more likely to be felt than standard tyres and they are also much heavier, which is bad for driving dynamics. How much difference the last two make to real world driving is hard to say.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

For me the RFTs are great. Have driven the crap out of them. If you can go any faster through the twisties with non-RFTs, you probably shouldn't be!
      03-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
RFT cannot be repaired which is their only major drawback.
As long as the puncture is in the tread rather than the sidewall, a RFT can be repaired. This is the same as conventional tyres.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Big thanks for that - We tried them in an X1 and did not sense much difference.

For QTPie - Car2cover quote £319 to cover 8 years/80000 miles with max of 5 claims! (which also include winter tyres if you use them!)

I have been driving 30 years had 4 puctures and 2 slashed tyres - so if I claim once in 5 years thats not so bad - and as Alligator69 story shows they always occur when you least want to stop and change a big wheel!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

I have an ex demo 2012 30D M Sport that came with 19 inch 369 RFTs and the Sports Suspension was not deleted. This concerned me as I thought that I wanted 18 inch wheels and Sport Suspension to be deleted.

Both my wife and I could be described as geriatric drivers who want the 3.0D engine for towing. My wife has long term back problems and is sensitive to poor suspension.

I could find nothing wrong with the ride during the test drive and went ahead and bought the car. We am still very happy with the ride. It is comfortable, not jiggly and not harsh.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #12
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Quote:
RFT cannot be repaired which is their only major drawback..
Incorrect.... Within a week of Delivery the tyre pressure sensor gave me a warning on the M6. I pulled into Hilton Park services and noticed a nail in my rear Drivers side. I inflated back to regular psi and called Kwik Fit in Cannock. They told me it would be a new expensive tyre.

I called my regular Tyre dealer, Tyre tradersa in Darlaston and they told me to drive it there. Within 10 minutes Tyre was repaired for the sum of £10 ($16)

I have since driven 4000 miles with no issues. Sounds like a bit of a tyre dealers/insurance con to me
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

I had tire insurance on the 135i and used the quota of 5 tires in 2 years.

Kwik fit don't repair run flats and told me that in the UK run flats are always replaced with new, but you can repair them and in Europe it is common practice to do so.

I chose RFTs for my X3 because I can't be doing with changing tires ... But I found this product ... http://permasealtire.com/ ... And if it's as good as it says you can probably live out the life of a regular tire without any flats from nails and stuff.

Wish I had the chance to test it before making my order ...
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Not a fan, RFT

Here's my thread on the matter. http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663008 I'm not a RFT fan. Conceptually, it sounds good. But if you get a couple flats in a row and have to pay for a couple new tires (about $350 each)... when normally, you could repair them yourself or have it done for about $10... The option becomes very expensive.

Also, here in the US... the tire that come on the X3 M-Sport (GY Eagle LS2, 19") are impossible to find except through the dealer (with a couple day wait time).

I think if the tires were commonly available and cheaper it probably wouldn't have been such a hassle.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

The shift in recent years towards 18-20" rims and RFT's is all driven by the tyre producers. They provide them 'at cost' to mftrs only to increase margin at time of replacement by the vehicle owners. The price premium when you buy an 18" tyre over 17" and again with RFT is disproportionate to the actual size increase over smaller tyres. As mentioned above, you also have the problem of getting hold of an 18"+ tyre from stock at your local retailer on demand. You usually have to wait a day.

Think of it like a PC printer and the cost of ink replacements.....
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
RFT cannot be repaired which is their only major drawback. Getting a puncture on a brand new tyre would be expensive! The stiffer side walls mean that bumps are more likely to be felt than standard tyres and they are also much heavier, which is bad for driving dynamics. How much difference the last two make to real world driving is hard to say.
Had them punctured, repaired, around 30.000 km added on top, with no further issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Good to know that the motoring press is wrong about run flats and they can indeed be repaired like normal tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep

To be fair: it seems that run flats can cause more damage to rims, as being more hard than normal tires they "pass" the shock rigidly to the rims. But this happens much more on /45 /30 tires and definitely not on SUV tires.
Appreciate 0