E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Low Beam Malfunction

01-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 E90 335xi

Low Beam Malfunction

Hey all,

So...just last week, I got the dreaded "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" in my 2008 E90. I brought it into the dealership, thinking it was the HPFP that blew out. However, they told me it was the Vanos Solenoid that was causing issues and they changed it out, as well as did an oil change.

That very night, as I was driving out for NYE, I see a "Right Low Beam Malfunction" come on, and noticed that my right HID was out. After parking and turning the light on and off, it would attempt to auto-level, flicker a few times and then go off. Any idea what this could be? I'm hoping that it's just a simple bulb replacement (it is a D1S bulb, right? Whats the difference between the H7 bulb part and the D1S bulb?). The car is CPO'd till 5/2014, and the dealership said that CPO would cover the whole headlamp unit except for bulbs...

So my question is, what is the best way to go about this? I have Lux 5.1 and HID Fogs installed, so I don't want to bring them into the dealership and have them say that the warranty is voided because of the aftermarket parts. Is swapping the left bulb to the right bulb to see if its a bulb problem the best course of action right now? Is flickering and then going out a common sign of a bad bulb? Or is there a more serious issue at hand? And lastly, in hopes that it is just a simple bulb replace, does anyone have recommendations for a replacement bulb? I'm thinking of switching out both sides for a more even color, and I'd like to match the Lux 5.1 AEs as well. H7 = D1S bulb, right?

Sorry for all the questions all, all input is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

take left side bulb to put in right side, if it goes on then its the bulb. if not then its the ballast. if bulb, just buy if not take lux out and go dealer
      01-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 E90 335xi

Hi all,

So I was able to bring my car to a friend's shop last night. He had an extra D1S bulb lying around from a totaled 335. So we plugged in bulb, headlight still does the adaptive auto-leveling thing when turned on, but still no light...any ideas what this may be? Since the adaptive headlights work, I'm guess that it's not module...maybe ignitor or ballast?

Also, strange thing, after driving home, I noticed there was a HUGE puddle under the driver side front wheel. Smelled the liquid, and didn't seem like coolant, more like washer fluid. Is there any chance that we may have touched the headlight washer hose in the process? However, the leak is on the DRIVER side, but we did all the work on the PASSENGER side...

Confirmed it was washer fluid, it's giving me a washer fluid low warning now...still no headlight and now, possible washer hose problem? HELP!

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

I would try swapping around the ballast for the next step to see.
Appreciate 0