BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
freddyalcazar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 118d

Upgrade my 118d

Hello all!

I am new to this Forum and the BMW world!

I just bought a 118d and have to say its a very very nice car! an amazing driving experience all and all.

I have been researching a bit and wanted to know what were the mechanical differences betwen the 118d and the 120d.

The reason is that I am interested in getting the power kit offered by BMW but its for the 120d.

I know its the same engine, but I am pretty sure there are differences between the turbo, intercooler, clutch, ECU settings, etc, and I really want to know what they are in order to start a plan which I can do little by little.

My goal is reaching the 200+ horse power while still keeping the economy of the car (fuel consuption) and placing the right parts that would withstand the use I will give it.

Additionally, anyone knows a good place to work on my car in Germany, or near Germany that is not sooo expensive? I guess if I go to a BMW it will be ultra expensive.

Additioanlly, I wanted your opinion on getting for the car: the parking sensors and sunroof (my car didnt have this options).

Thanks to all!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
There are several here in the Stuttgart area. I just googled BMW 118d tune & this came up.

http://www.atb-tuning.de/shop/Chiptu...etail-2443.htm

When it comes to aftermarket sun roofs they were all the rage as a dealer option back in the late 80s to mid 90s in America. Quality of contruction & installation was hit & miss. Some developed leaks after a couple of years. All aftermarket sun roofs added considerable wind noise.

My current car does not have a sun roof & I dont miss it.

You can have an aftermarket parking sensor added. The one offered by VW (when I owned a Jetta TDI) was only about 250 euro installed. I am sure the dealer can provide one with an OEM like finish at a reasonable expense.

Good Luck!
      01-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

There are MANY tuners in Germany that can produce close to 200 PS for your 118d.

A lot of the guys on the 1er forum have used Marcel from MS Tuning. Including myself. I am very happy with his flash tune. He lives near Stuttgart.

http://www.ms-chiptuning.de/

You could also just buy a power box... while not as good as a flash tune... it will give you a decent bump in power. Although on cold start the engine tends to idle funny with them.

Dack
Appreciate 0