E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 VANOS Bolt Failure Prevention

01-08-2015, 01:22 AM   #309
Discreet_335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A couple of E92 M3's

Just checked my build date, 06/10. Going to call the dealership tomorrow about this recall. Have not had any issues...yet. Have heard at times a little louder than normal rattle thou. I'm out of the warranty at this point hitting 52k miles. I'll update tomorrow. Am FBO too and won't be touching a thing should I be going in for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #310
Discreet_335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A couple of E92 M3's

Appointment set for this coming Tuesday, says it's a one day job as long I get it there at 730am.

Will update after complete.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #311
kettasii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011

Got mine done last week. One thing I notice is the turbo whistle is gone, or at least I cannot hear it. Anyone has similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #312
practice89
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M50i

Just got mine done couple of weeks ago. Dropped the car off with DPs and JB4 Set to map 0 and the dealership didn't give me any problems.

Received 2 lousy hats as a gift lol
      02-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #313
Sidnito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 space 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettasii View Post
Got mine done last week. One thing I notice is the turbo whistle is gone, or at least I cannot hear it. Anyone has similar experience?
honestly i got the same feeling. i have DPs and it was very audible but now it is barely if any in some gears (MT). I also push it pretty hard in 5th and 6th and even the limp mode comes on. I restart my car and it goes away and ill drive less hard but before i had no problems. i am thinking of going to service but at 104k miles i hope its not another HPFP (had two already)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #314
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Had my Vanos bolts shear off last summer. Had them changed, and the residuals in the oil pan cleared out. Just recently got a recall for it in the mail. It offered 50 bucks worth of goodies. Asked my SA if he'd still honor the goodies, as I already had it done. Yes, was the answer. Got Kathie a coffee cup for her V Day gift. Sorry Shades of Grey. ;-P
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #315
robbylou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Just received my car back from the vanos recall repair last week and ever since it has been idling very rough on cold start. The rpms bounce up and down pretty violently for a good few minutes. It almost feels like the engine is going to stop. Brought the car back today and the SA told me it cant be related to the repair and they found a software bulletin that seems to describe the problem. 1hr of labor to update the software.

I realize this COULD be a coincidence but how likely is that? My understanding is that the vanos affects timing so even if only the bolts were changed, could something else have been disturbed in the process? Not sure what to do if this software update doesnt fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #316
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

I think they have to remove the valvetronic servomotor and eccentric shaft to do the work. I am a strong believer that this recal is the reason peoples servomotors are going bad when done by crappy dealers. The symptoms of which are rough idle and odd shifting rpms. Does your car make any odd sounds when you unlock or lock it?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 12:04 AM   #317
josega90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

06/11 buid date. I got the recall done (bolts and gasket replaced), everything seems normal and i cannot feel nor hear any difference to be honest. I had my downpipe, intake and cp on and it was not an issue to get the work done. I did have a coolant leak and bad oi filter housing gasket as well, and the dealer declinedto fix under warranty because of my downpipe... -_- ... They wanted $1,350 to do the expansion tank and change the gasket lol, wow. It took me 4-5 hours and $150 to do it myself. I feel bad for people that pay that kind of cash for these things.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #318
InceptionBW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbylou View Post
Just received my car back from the vanos recall repair last week and ever since it has been idling very rough on cold start. The rpms bounce up and down pretty violently for a good few minutes. It almost feels like the engine is going to stop. Brought the car back today and the SA told me it cant be related to the repair and they found a software bulletin that seems to describe the problem. 1hr of labor to update the software.

I realize this COULD be a coincidence but how likely is that? My understanding is that the vanos affects timing so even if only the bolts were changed, could something else have been disturbed in the process? Not sure what to do if this software update doesnt fix the problem.
Hey, did the software update fix this? My cold starts are not as bad as yours but definitely worse since this recall. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #319
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Oddly enough one of the symptoms of a bad servomotor is rough cold starts and random rough idle.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:28 AM   #320
lakeman
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 E70 N55

2011 N55 Vanos continued problems

Had Vanos bolts sheared and retrieved in oil pan at 56k miles, under warranty, just before the U.S. Recall.

Have had more than a couple of Check Engine Light, Reduced Power (CEL, RP) incidences. Dealer wanted $1500 for a Valetronic motor, that miraculously has been working fine without a replacement.

Now, at 74k, CEL,RP again, dealer wants $1500 to replace my chewed up timing gears and timing chain.

I've sent multiple emails and made multiple telephone calls to BMWNA, explaining that surely the sheared Vanos bolts chewed up the timing gears and timing chain on their precarious journey from the head, through the timing cover chambers, down into the oil pan.

BMWNA says sorry, your car is 24,000 miles out of warranty, it is not their problem.

Anyone else having timing gear and timing chain issues since their Vanos bolts sheared off?

Heading down to dealer to hopefully take a look at chewed up timing gears and timing chain on my N55. Will report back.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #321
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
Had Vanos bolts sheared and retrieved in oil pan at 56k miles, under warranty, just before the U.S. Recall.

Have had more than a couple of Check Engine Light, Reduced Power (CEL, RP) incidences. Dealer wanted $1500 for a Valetronic motor, that miraculously has been working fine without a replacement.

Now, at 74k, CEL,RP again, dealer wants $1500 to replace my chewed up timing gears and timing chain.

I've sent multiple emails and made multiple telephone calls to BMWNA, explaining that surely the sheared Vanos bolts chewed up the timing gears and timing chain on their precarious journey from the head, through the timing cover chambers, down into the oil pan.

BMWNA says sorry, your car is 24,000 miles out of warranty, it is not their problem.

Anyone else having timing gear and timing chain issues since their Vanos bolts sheared off?

Heading down to dealer to hopefully take a look at chewed up timing gears and timing chain on my N55. Will report back.
Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #322
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Have not had any timing gear problems. But my valvetronic servomotor did shit the bed after my recall was done. I had bolts retrieved from the oil pan also.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #323
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Have not had any timing gear problems. But my valvetronic servomotor did shit the bed after my recall was done. I had bolts retrieved from the oil pan also.
Ouch, that's my worry. What's codes popped up for you if you remember?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #324
lakeman
Rep

Just got back from the dealer.

Valve cover, etc, off. Timing chain looks pristine, as do the Vanos timing gears.

What they have told me is that the lower timing gear, which is connected to the crankshaft, has moved, and is moving. They said they think that this gear is only pressed on, no key, no splines, no 4 bolts, it is simply pressed onto the crankshaft. They think.

They said that this movement is noted when they move the crank pulley bolt back and forth slightly, no movement is noted on the Vanos timing gears. And timing chain. Somehow this crankshaft timing gear is moving, and the valvetronic motor and the Vanos adjusters are attempting to "make up the difference". These large movements in the Vanos and valvetronic systems are tripping the fault codes.

That said, they said they will call me to come down when they get the engine opened up to see why the timing gear is loose on the crankshaft.

Thanks for your input. I will keep you posted.

Anyone know if the N55 crankshaft timing gear is actually pressed on, or keyed?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #325
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe View Post
Ouch, that's my worry. What's codes popped up for you if you remember?
I can't remember the code, but I started hearing a loud clicking sound when ever I locked or unlocked the car (woke or it went to sleep). It started off on occasion then after 2 months turned into every time. The code that did eventually pop up was for the valvetronic servomotor/eccentric shaft sensor. My idle was choppy and revs would hang on shifts. Other than that I wouldn't have thought something was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:51 AM   #326
adis
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI PPK

bmw changed my vanos unit with the new one on n55 engine.

vanos was changed under the recall, car had 34.000 miles on clock.

engine is so clean you could it from it :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #327
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
I can't remember the code, but I started hearing a loud clicking sound when ever I locked or unlocked the car (woke or it went to sleep). It started off on occasion then after 2 months turned into every time. The code that did eventually pop up was for the valvetronic servomotor/eccentric shaft sensor. My idle was choppy and revs would hang on shifts. Other than that I wouldn't have thought something was wrong.
Good to know I'll keep an eye out on it. It's at the dealer now but Cobb deleted the three codes I had. I'm gonna keep it off so I can make it reoccur.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #328
lakeman
Rep

So now the dealer has opened up timing covers and says they have found a broken plastic timing chain guide. They thought it was a slipping lower timing gear on the crank. They have not told me if I am going to pay for this or not. Vanos recall, sheared bolt heads found in my oil pan, now a broken timing chain plastic guide causing all kinds of problems???? My car spent 6 weeks at dealer before they agreed to cover the Vanos sheared bolts, now it's been there another 7 weeks for this. BMWNA has already told me no. We'll see what the dealer says. BTW, this is my 5th BMW, and I was a service advisor at a BMW dealership for 3 years. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #329
trixdout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
So now the dealer has opened up timing covers and says they have found a broken plastic timing chain guide. They thought it was a slipping lower timing gear on the crank. They have not told me if I am going to pay for this or not. Vanos recall, sheared bolt heads found in my oil pan, now a broken timing chain plastic guide causing all kinds of problems???? My car spent 6 weeks at dealer before they agreed to cover the Vanos sheared bolts, now it's been there another 7 weeks for this. BMWNA has already told me no. We'll see what the dealer says. BTW, this is my 5th BMW, and I was a service advisor at a BMW dealership for 3 years. We'll see.
Its very highly possible the chain guide broke because the vanos bolts sheared. They are assholes to say no from the get go.
      07-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #330
lakeman
Rep

Vanos bolts broke, plastic timing chain guide broken

So the dealer says that they don't see any correlation between the Vanos bolts shearing off and falling down through the timing chain covers and the plastic timing chain guide breaking. Now, I'm no rocket scientist here, but I think that broken bolt heads banging around timing gears, timing chains, timing chain plastic guides, and other mechanical moving parts, might cause some issues. Yep. BMWNA says No. Dealership charged me $1200 to replace the plastic timing chain guide. The BMW wind is now gone from my sail. BMW: Bring My Wallet.
Appreciate 0