THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M performance limited slip differential on 228i?

07-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Hreb
Registered
Rep
Drives: Old and busted

M performance limited slip differential on 228i?

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully gotten the BMW M Performance LSD on a 228i. I've heard somewhat conflicting things from local dealers. One told me yes, it's available, $2895 plus installation costs at the dealer, and can be ordered installed on any new BMW. Another told me it's only available via the parts department, who only show a limited slip differential part number for the M235i, not the 228i. So then the question becomes: can the LSD for the M235i be installed on a 228i? The two cars have different final drive ratios from the factory (3.91 for the 228 vs. 3.08 for the 235), which suggests maybe even if it's possible to use the same LSD, it might adversely affect performance.

I really like the practicality of the turbo I4 in the 228 but I worry about the road worthiness of a RWD car with an open diff. in Winter months going over the pass. And I wouldn't want to spend a chunk of cash and then be the first to attempt to put an LSD on a 228. So any experience or expertise welcome. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

With all due respect, I believe snow tires would be a better option or even chains. I use spike spiders for mountain snow. They bolt on and off in 1 minutes so you can go from snow to plowed in a flash. http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

He's right. The LSD is not meant for road worthiness as you refer to it at all. It's meant for track use.

The standard e diff plus a good set of snow tires is all you need for the road in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
Hreb
Registered
Rep
Drives: Old and busted

Yeah, I realize the target market for BMW's LSD is for track use, not for me. The product BMW targets to my use is called "xDrive", but that comes with its own set of baggage. :/

Winter tires are a given, and I always carry snow chains. Snow tires are a great thing -- as long as both of your drive wheels have any traction to work with. But especially given an RWD platform, I would much prefer the predictability and not-getting-stuck factor that comes from at least having a limited slip.

Is there something about BMW's clutch-type LSD that makes it particularly ill-suited to my needs (as compared to a simpler torsen type LSD)?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
dfwmods
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreb View Post
Yeah, I realize the target market for BMW's LSD is for track use, not for me. The product BMW targets to my use is called "xDrive", but that comes with its own set of baggage. :/

Winter tires are a given, and I always carry snow chains. Snow tires are a great thing -- as long as both of your drive wheels have any traction to work with. But especially given an RWD platform, I would much prefer the predictability and not-getting-stuck factor that comes from at least having a limited slip.

Is there something about BMW's clutch-type LSD that makes it particularly ill-suited to my needs (as compared to a simpler torsen type LSD)?

The electronic stability control will brake individual wheels to provide adequate traction on snow.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 01:21 AM   #6
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
Seriously, the e-LSD works very well in snow.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 02:13 AM   #7
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:

This sort of LSD is actually pretty terrible in snow. I've owned a number of older BMWs with them, yes, you have slightly better traction pulling away from a stop, but once you are going, they are MUCH worse. The problem is that if you give it that just too much bit of throttle, BOTH rear wheel spin and you lose directional control. Combined with the non-linear throttle response of even a BMW turbocharged engine and I doubt it would be a whole lot of fun. The e-diff, modern traction control and snow tires are all you need.

The best solution for snow is what Volvo used to offer on their RWD cars - a locking diff that would lock solid at very low speeds to get you going, then unlock once you passed 20mph or so. Those were fantastic in the snow.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 04:41 AM   #8
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Drove my rwd 228 straight through a nasty winter this year with just. Snow tires. Didn't get stuck once and my driveway is very steep. The biggest issue is ground clearance. I drove on unplowed highways in about 5" of snow and it was fine. Anything more and I feel I'd rip the bumper off.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
Hemisedan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming in March: 2016 BMW M235

My Mini becomes a small snow plow with anything over 5" of snow, which it seems we either get nothing, or 8" plus of snow. Even with the front wheel drive, I have to use Winter tires, then I can go just about anywhere. I know that's not talking about RWD, but my Mini is like on grease if I don't have Winter tires on. I found that out two years ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
He's right. The LSD is not meant for road worthiness as you refer to it at all. It's meant for track use.

The standard e diff plus a good set of snow tires is all you need for the road in the winter.
Quote:

The non-M e36's came with LSD from the factory when you ordered the "winter package" before traction control made it's big debut, just FYI. LSDs makes cars a little bit more manageable in loose surface conditions.

Last edited by nike001; 08-12-2015 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #11
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has successfully gotten the BMW M Performance LSD on a 228i. I've heard somewhat conflicting things from local dealers. One told me yes, it's available, $2895 plus installation costs at the dealer, and can be ordered installed on any new BMW. Another told me it's only available via the parts department, who only show a limited slip differential part number for the M235i, not the 228i. So then the question becomes: can the LSD for the M235i be installed on a 228i? The two cars have different final drive ratios from the factory (3.91 for the 228 vs. 3.08 for the 235), which suggests maybe even if it's possible to use the same LSD, it might adversely affect performance.

I really like the practicality of the turbo I4 in the 228 but I worry about the road worthiness of a RWD car with an open diff. in Winter months going over the pass. And I wouldn't want to spend a chunk of cash and then be the first to attempt to put an LSD on a 228. So any experience or expertise welcome. Thanks.
Quote:

Original poster, did you ever get any resolution on this issue? I have a 15 228i with THP and always felt the car simply could not harness all the power when I floored it. I have a new x3 m40 with xdrive and I think it helps Harness the 355 hp but it does not handle or corner like the 228. If I buy another 2 series I might get a 240i and have dealer install the LSD but then you are almost in m2 territory so is it worth it?
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #12
MsportyX35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 xDrive35i M Sport, Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portadown95 View Post
Original poster, did you ever get any resolution on this issue? I have a 15 228i with THP and always felt the car simply could not harness all the power when I floored it. I have a new x3 m40 with xdrive and I think it helps Harness the 355 hp but it does not handle or corner like the 228. If I buy another 2 series I might get a 240i and have dealer install the LSD but then you are almost in m2 territory so is it worth it?
I’m also very interested in this.
Appreciate 0