Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9805 E46 ZCP 6MT and '9

Comfort Access with M Performance Diffusor

I was really disappointed when I found out that the carbon Mperformance rear diffusor for the F82 will disable the comfort access trunk feature when installed.

I know it's not a HUGE deal, but Mperformance parts should retain all the OEM features of the car

With that said, has anyone found the sensor? I was thinking I could potentially mod the sensor or the diffusor (or both) to keep the comfort access feature.

Searched around, couldn't find anything, any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh55 View Post
I was really disappointed when I found out that the carbon Mperformance rear diffusor for the F82 will disable the comfort access trunk feature when installed.

I know it's not a HUGE deal, but Mperformance parts should retain all the OEM features of the car

With that said, has anyone found the sensor? I was thinking I could potentially mod the sensor or the diffusor (or both) to keep the comfort access feature.

Searched around, couldn't find anything, any help is appreciated.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
biggie27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

if you look under the diffuser there is a little black strip with 4 black circler sensors thats it if in not mistaken, I was thinking the same thing too but I need to take better look at it maybe if we extended the wire and moved the strip to one side of the bumper instead of keeping it in the middle
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie27 View Post
if you look under the diffuser there is a little black strip with 4 black circler sensors thats it if in not mistaken, I was thinking the same thing too but I need to take better look at it maybe if we extended the wire and moved the strip to one side of the bumper instead of keeping it in the middle
Thanks for the tip! I take delivery on Tuesday and I'll try to find this. I should be able to test if it is the sensor by waving in front of it etc.

Ideally I would like to cut a small hole in the carbon diffusor with a dremel if possible, but that will depend entirely on where the sensor is located and if it the hole will be noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
biggie27
Private First Class
Rep

dont think you can drill in that spot I got the RKP diffuser and it should be here next week, but judging by the pics that I have seen it looks like they are located somewhere in the middles of the fins ( cant really explain it I will look for the pics for you ) the best option is to move the whole strip.......option number 2 was to put down anything I was carrying and physically open the trunk, but that needs alot of RnD
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Black strip in this EAS pic I'm assuming:

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie27 View Post
dont think you can drill in that spot I got the RKP diffuser and it should be here next week, but judging by the pics that I have seen it looks like they are located somewhere in the middles of the fins ( cant really explain it I will look for the pics for you ) the best option is to move the whole strip.......option number 2 was to put down anything I was carrying and physically open the trunk, but that needs alot of RnD
Yea, I know it's just a small issue, but it still bothers me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwin_sd View Post
Black strip in this EAS pic I'm assuming:

Thanks for the picture, I guess it is the black "4 dot thing", but now I'm interested to know what that other antenna like thing is in the picture, anyone know? If the antenna is also part of the function they will be tricky to relocate together...

Either way, dremel mod is off the table based on this picture. Relocation seems to be the best bet but I will need to get my car first before I can mess around with these things.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh55 View Post
Either way, dremel mod is off the table based on this picture.
Looks like we had the same idea, dremel some material off..... until I found that picture.

Let me know what you find out on relocation.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Anyone compare a stock diffuser with the performance one to see what the difference is that is stopping the trunk sensor from working?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Anyone compare a stock diffuser with the performance one to see what the difference is that is stopping the trunk sensor from working?
I'm guessing something to do with distance. Or the fins getting in the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwin_sd View Post
I'm guessing something to do with distance. Or the fins getting in the way.
I did some google research and I think the problem is most likely the CFRP material. Apparently carbon fiber shields radio frequencies, there are a few threads in cell phone and model aircraft forums that talk about this.

So, I'm guessing whatever signal the comfort access sensor is using, it is not strong enough to penetrate the CFRP.

Now I really want the solution to be boosting the signal...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
LuckasHe
Germany
Rep
Drives: an F82 M4 AY

sensor wire signal to weak?

Hello together

did you guys found a working solution for the food swipe problem with the carbon fiber diffuser?

I run in the same situation with the original M performance parts cf diffuser here in germany. Actually i am waiting for a reply from bmw directly. I will post the answer.

Did you have success with a "dremel mod" or relocation of the two sensor wires, or with a signal booster? I think the two sensor wires detects the motion (change of electrical field) between the two sensor wires. Carbon reflects this field to much.

I think if we drill multiple small holes or better drilling a slot along the sensor wires it could work. Any suggestions?

For me it works fine until i tighten the inner screws again! No solution, but i will check this again.

please answer
Any success?

Helmut

Last edited by LuckasHe; 02-17-2015 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:46 PM   #13
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckasHe
Hello together

did you guys found a working solution for the food swipe problem with the carbon fiber diffuser?

I run in the same situation with the original M performance parts cf diffuser here in germany. Actually i am waiting for a reply from bmw directly. I will post the answer.

Did you have success with a "dremel mod" or relocation of the two sensor wires, or with a signal booster? I think the two sensor wires detects the motion (change of electrical field) between the two sensor wires. Carbon reflects this field to much.

I think if we drill multiple small holes or better drilling a slot along the sensor wires it could work. Any suggestions?

For me it works fine until i tighten the inner screws again! No solution, but i will check this again.

please answer
Any success?

Helmut
Haven't tried yet, but interested to hear what BMW says. I guess I was right about the CFRP insulating against the radio signal.
'97 911S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
I was a little disappointed when I found out that his feature would become void after the install. Then I asked myself: What is better, the invisible kick under my rear bumper or a carbon fiber diffuser. Clearly, I went the the latter.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
LuckasHe
Germany
Rep
Drives: an F82 M4 AY

BMW answered today, that cf is the reason for the reflection of the signal. The will ask engineering for a possible solution, like "dremel" mod" I am interested how the singnal wire works and fgure out the best position for the holes or a slot. They told me, that cf is a bit dangerous to cut, because humidity destroys the diffuser after a while.

I agree with you: Diffuser is better, but we did all pay for comfort of this kick..

I will send an update....

Helmut
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #16
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 - SO/SS, 6MT

Garage List
Hi guys...

Given CF blocks the signal, would a diffuser made of another material block the signal as well? Material such as FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) or polymeric materials?

Any info?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #17
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

it's crazy that my replica cheap Chinese diffuser works perfectly with it. weaves aren't perfect but it's a part you can barely see anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #18
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Hey gtrsam ,

Which cheap chinese diffuser you got? can you share the brand and site?

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsam View Post
it's crazy that my replica cheap Chinese diffuser works perfectly with it. weaves aren't perfect but it's a part you can barely see anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #19
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep

got it off eBay for 399 and complained about the bad weave job. they gave me a 50 refund so got it for 350.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #20
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
It probably works because its not real CF

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #21
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
Quote:
It probably works because its not real CF

Mike
yea most likely not full cf. Probably just fiberglass with the cf laid over it. still looks fine though. not like I was looking for strength or lightweight
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #22
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yea most likely not full cf. Probably just fiberglass with the cf laid over it. still looks fine though. not like I was looking for strength or lightweight
I hope that is the case... Was going OEM until I heard about this.

So, thinking to go with this PoS ... and hope Comfort Access still works:
http://www.amazon.com/JCSPORTLINE-Di...s=F82+diffuser

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0