THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery How to track a new vehicle online? (For real.)

11-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
scampercom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Unhappy How to track a new vehicle online? (For real.)

Apologies in advance!

This question will scream "newbie," and I hope that I've simply overlooked something obvious. I want to track my vehicle online, but:

1) The "Ultimate Guide to BMW 2 Series Tracking" thread is obsolete
2) I already know that there's a phone number I can call (it works just fine)
3) BMWUSA's site has recently (within the past few months) changed

Every reference I can find online says, "just type in your VIN or production number, and then track your vehicle!" Except that feature seems to be gone now. I can add a vehicle (I have my production number), but then it just sits there with no options (looking at the "Add/Remove Vehicle" page, in the "Manage Vehicles" section. The only available option is to activate my BMWFS account, but I don't want that right now. (Is that a prerequisite?)

In sum, there is no reference to "track" in the nav, "View My BMW" just takes me to a page full of generic marketing material, and the only reference to the word "track" at all is "InsideTrack" magazine.

So, embarrass me: what super-obvious thing am I overlooking? Am I the only one?

-sitting at the port awaiting the clue vessel
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 01:25 AM   #2
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Conte...ckYourBMW.aspx
      11-22-2014, 02:21 AM   #3
AbuQutaita
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I had this happen to me too when I was tracking to track my BMW. I entered my VIN, but then it never showed up. I gave up and came back a few days later, and then my car and VIN showed up in the left column as something I could click and navigate to. Even using the link hyperzulu provided would just redirect me to the main page. Not sure why there's a delay.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
StephanieDiane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 M2

I had that happen when I entered my production number on the BMW site. I had to log out and back in, not just refresh, and voila, the Track my car link suddenly appeared.
The financial services part is irrelevant. I'm not financing.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
mediocre003
Rep

I've also had some trouble trying to track my F22 ED. The tracking page seemed to disappear from my account as soon as I paid for the car, so thanks, Zulu, for that link.

Once you have a ship name you can track the ship with VesselFinder.com. All of the other vessel tracking sites listed in the sticky pale in comparison to that one IMHO.

My boat just landed stateside last night and after trying to find a way to track it through the customs/VDC process, it seems unlikely that I will get much information from this point forward. Lots of members report that BMW has been dishonest about when the car actually hits VDC and why it stays there for any extended period of time.

If you're lucky enough to have a competent and compassionate CA, that may be your best source of information.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocre003 View Post
I've also had some trouble trying to track my F22 ED. The tracking page seemed to disappear from my account as soon as I paid for the car, so thanks, Zulu, for that link.

Once you have a ship name you can track the ship with VesselFinder.com. All of the other vessel tracking sites listed in the sticky pale in comparison to that one IMHO.

My boat just landed stateside last night and after trying to find a way to track it through the customs/VDC process, it seems unlikely that I will get much information from this point forward. Lots of members report that BMW has been dishonest about when the car actually hits VDC and why it stays there for any extended period of time.

If you're lucky enough to have a competent and compassionate CA, that may be your best source of information.
The tracking page is slow sometimes to update, but if it does go into finishing touches, then you know that it cleared customs. Also if your boat is a Wallenius ship, you might be able to track when the car shows up as delivered from, which also means it has gone to vpc.
      11-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
mediocre003
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
The tracking page is slow sometimes to update, but if it does go into finishing touches, then you know that it cleared customs. Also if your boat is a Wallenius ship, you might be able to track when the car shows up as delivered from, which also means it has gone to vpc.
Unfortunately, my boat is a K Liner. I tried tracking using my VIN and the B/L number my CA provided, but neither returned any records. The only reason I have to believe that my car was even on that boat was the word of my CA.

I'm trying to stay patient and optimistic, but I've been dreaming about my car every night for nearly a month now. ED was such a tease...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
StephanieDiane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocre003 View Post
Unfortunately, my boat is a K Liner. I tried tracking using my VIN and the B/L number my CA provided, but neither returned any records. The only reason I have to believe that my car was even on that boat was the word of my CA.

I'm trying to stay patient and optimistic, but I've been dreaming about my car every night for nearly a month now. ED was such a tease...
Yeah, I'm on a K line ship. You're at the mercy of the CA or getting info from the 800# for the ship name, then marine traffic.com is a handy site too, I felt.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
scampercom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Thank you for that link! As of right now, there's indeed a new section in the left hand column called "Track My BMW." You'll believe me if I say that it wasn't there until this moment. Anyway, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, however it happened.

As far as vessel tracking, that level of obsessiveness appeals to me right about now. How do I find out the name of the vessel it is (or will be) on? This is hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
FoxCrane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Actually, you should look for Liner Release as the last step.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
RobTaylor
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428; 228 Sport/TracPack

Once you are on a WW ship just put your VIN into the box on the far right. Then click Track. That will give you a report with the ship's name and voyage number. Then click on the voyage number and you will get the ships destinations, arrival and departure dates. I works as I am using it. My ship, Independence II hits Baltimore on 11/25!! I can't wait to get this over so that I will be able to sleep again .

Here is the WW Lines link: https://offices.2wglobal.com/offices...uickSearchPage
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #12
scampercom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I have the production number, but I don't see a way to get the VIN on BMWUSA. Is that listed anywhere? I'm trying to avoid calling the dealership for such things.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
mediocre003
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampercom View Post
Thank you for that link! As of right now, there's indeed a new section in the left hand column called "Track My BMW." You'll believe me if I say that it wasn't there until this moment. Anyway, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, however it happened.

As far as vessel tracking, that level of obsessiveness appeals to me right about now. How do I find out the name of the vessel it is (or will be) on? This is hilarious.
If you are on a W&W boat, your VIN can be used as a tracking number via the link Rob posted. If you are on a K Line or NYK boat, then as Stephanie said, you will have to rely more on your CA for information, including the boat name.

If you're still waiting for a boat, you can always get a pretty good idea of the ship schedules from these links:

W&W: http://sagaweb.2wglobal.com/AppSched...pe=generatePDF

KLine: http://www.kline.com/KAMCarCarrier/S...g_Schedule.pdf

NYK: http://www.nykroro.com/documents/RTW-AFCON/RTWwk47.pdf

Port of Origin is usually Bremerhaven and port of call depends on where you live. New Jersey and Brunswick are the main East Coast delivery ports. I'm not as familiar with West Coast deliveries.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
mediocre003
Rep

Quote:
I have the production number, but I don't see a way to get the VIN on BMWUSA. Is that listed anywhere? I'm trying to avoid calling the dealership for such things.
I'm able to see my VIN on my MY BMW account under 'Vehicles' then '2015 M235i Coupe', but my dashboard changed when I paid for the car (pre-ED), and I'm financed through BMW, so I'm not sure that you will be able to find it there...

Sorry if that doesn't help...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
scampercom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Good suggestion. That page is pretty blank for me. Just has a stock photo of the car, and links to shop for accessories. Well, it was worth a shot!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Your vin won't show until the car is about to go into production.
      11-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #17
RobTaylor
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428; 228 Sport/TracPack

EMail your CA. He has your vin and do not feel bad about the request. It is normal. You need the VIN for your insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #18
StephanieDiane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My VIN never popped up anywhere on the site. My CA called me with it when it was available, and the 800# can give it to you as well.

I have obsessively called that number, trying not to bug my dealer too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #19
scampercom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I don't think the 800# will provide the VIN if you only have the production number (just tried it), so I just emailed my CA.

Thanks for all the help. Great forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #20
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think the 800# will provide the VIN if you only have the production number (just tried it), so I just emailed my CA.

Thanks for all the help. Great forum.
You can choose to speak to a live agent. Not right now though. Tomorrow during business hours (eastern).