F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW will have a supercar IMO
GetBMWParts

08-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

BMW will have a supercar IMO

This is just speculation.

I think BMW will create a "supercar" / halo car and will use the 8-series moniker for it.

I feel this way because of the i8. Just the fact that we recently learned there will soon be an i4 and i5 leads me to believe BMW will make use of the number 8 in the future. It seems the i3 and i8 have set a range for BMW which they will fill most of the numbers in between. I think this will spill over into the regular BMW division and there will be an 8-series vehicle. Also the i8 is a very high-profile vehicle. It sits low, its sleek, has an engine in the rear. IMO when they make use of the 8 series moniker the car will follow these cues.

Secondly, the i8 shows that BMW has the ability to insert an engine into the rear of a car. Although the i8 has it's hybrid system with the electric motors in the front, it shows BMW is open to inserting an engine in the rear of a car.

Lastly, all of these arbitrary vehicles BMW has been creating will allow them to get some funds to make a car they dont really profit off of.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

neat
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Yep. It's called the i8.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

dskjnbibdbdsknsvhs hds vsdh vhsbvsvhsbjd sd shfsifubsjvbsv subfiuwhfewfk c ujhfsjhfnksjbnkj

Make sense? Thought not.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post

I think BMW will create a "supercar" / halo car and will use the 8-series moniker for it.

I feel this way because of the i8. Just the fact that we recently learned there will soon be an i4 and i5 leads me to believe BMW will make use of the number 8 in the future. It seems the i3 and i8 have set a range for BMW which they will fill most of the numbers in between. I think this will spill over into the regular BMW division and there will be an 8-series vehicle. Also the i8 is a very high-profile vehicle. It sits low, its sleek, has an engine in the rear. IMO when they make use of the 8 series moniker the car will follow these cues.

Secondly, the i8 shows that BMW has the ability to insert an engine into the rear of a car. Although the i8 has it's hybrid system with the electric motors in the front, it shows BMW is open to inserting an engine in the rear of a car.

Lastly, all of these arbitrary vehicles BMW has been creating will allow them to get some funds to make a car they dont really profit off of.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Yep. It's called the i8.
The i8 is not a supercar by any means, nor will there me an M version of the i vehicles.

The original 8 series was not a supercar either so the number 8 being used for a future supercar is a pretty random prediction.

BMW saved the M1 brand (as I thought they would because it did not belong on a entry level M car - as a matter of fact, I got banned from the 1M forum for stating this) and did not use it for the 1 series M for this reason.

The 1 series will be the 2 series according to inside sources so the next 1 series M will be called an M2 to avoid any naming failure.

This clears the way for an M1 supercar.
      08-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
The i8 is not a supercar by any means, nor will there me an M version of the i vehicles.

The original 8 series was not a supercar either so the number 8 being used for a future supercar is a pretty random prediction.

BMW saved the M1 brand (as I thought they would because it did not belong on a entry level M car - as a matter of fact, I got banned from the 1M forum for stating this) and did not use it for the 1 series M for this reason.

The 1 series will be the 2 series according to inside sources so the next 1 series M will be called an M2 to avoid any naming failure.

This clears the way for an M1 supercar.
I think the OP is saying, since the i8 has a mid engine layout, this allows BMW to build something like the M1 Homage into a true supercar. BMW NEEDS and answer to the Audi R8 and Porsche is suppose to be building a mid engine car below the 918 and above the GT2-RS.

And the 1 series mods are SUPER SENSITIVE to ANY comments about the 1M not being a true //M car. Talk about thin skinned. If they were the mods here, half the forum would be banned in a 6-speed/DCT discussion.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
The M Division's focus is better directed at the M3 than a 'super car' that will be overpriced and mediocre in that class. Let 'em roll out the i8 or whatever, but you will be underwhelmed.

If they F up the F32 M3, BMW will be dead to me.

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
If they F up the F32 M3, BMW will be dead to me.
      08-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
M3Duo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 911 tt

I sincerely hope BMW builds a supercar soon...really they have the technology to do it and lots of diehard enthusiasts/fans believe they can provide answer to R8 and SLS AMG

Drives: 997 Porsche turbo
Stable: Porsche Panamera
'09 e93M(sold), '09 e90(sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
And the 1 series mods are SUPER SENSITIVE to ANY comments about the 1M not being a true //M car. Talk about thin skinned. If they were the mods here, half the forum would be banned in a 6-speed/DCT discussion.

Ok so I'm not the only one that noticed. There is a major power trip on the 1M forum.

I'm a big fan of the 1M and like what BMW did. With that said, I disagreed STRONGLY that the 1series M would be called an M1 or should be called the M1. Well, the members there thought "NOPE. for sure its going to be called an M1!!!"

I explained in detail without insulting anyone that BMW would not designate the first M cars M1 name on a entry level 1 series M car, which all came to be true.

The mods couldn't deal with that and banned me (about a year and a half ago). About a year later, I asked to be unbanned because as I said, I'm a big fan of the 1M. But nope, unless you like EVERYTHING about the 1M and agree NOT to criticize ANYTHING about it, you can't be an active member.
      08-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

i think the m3 is superb enough of a car.. idk i feel that the r8 doesnt take much to be answered too. the m3 is already nearly in its league, and in straight line speed the 335/135/1M with FBO+meth are next and ahead of it, on STOCK turbos even. but i guess its whoever dumps more money into their car.

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

You're right. They will need a unique platform to make a super-car. The current M cars are great fun, but they're all based on humble passenger sedans---they can only do so much. I'd like to see the return of the M1, with double wishbone suspension, carbon tub, and all that jazz. BMW already has some very powerful engines, so I think designing a car around the engines is what's left---and of course, finding buyers. If Audi can do it (heck, if Lexus can do it), I am confident BMW can as well.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
Ok so I'm not the only one that noticed. There is a major power trip on the 1M forum.

I'm a big fan of the 1M and like what BMW did. With that said, I disagreed STRONGLY that the 1series M would be called an M1 or should be called the M1. Well, the members there thought "NOPE. for sure its going to be called an M1!!!"

I explained in detail without insulting anyone that BMW would not designate the first M cars M1 name on a entry level 1 series M car, which all came to be true.

The mods couldn't deal with that and banned me (about a year and a half ago). About a year later, I asked to be unbanned because as I said, I'm a big fan of the 1M. But nope, unless you like EVERYTHING about the 1M and agree NOT to criticize ANYTHING about it, you can't be an active member.
Pretty pathetic IMO. I just said it's sad the direction //M is going with FI. SAME thing's I've said here, but BAN!!! if you're on 1addicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
You're right. They will need a unique platform to make a super-car. The current M cars are great fun, but they're all based on humble passenger sedans---they can only do so much. I'd like to see the return of the M1, with double wishbone suspension, carbon tub, and all that jazz. BMW already has some very powerful engines, so I think designing a car around the engines is what's left---and of course, finding buyers. If Audi can do it (heck, if Lexus can do it), I am confident BMW can as well.
Audi just took the Gallardo, and let Audi do the tuning/styling. It didn't cost them nearly as much as Lexus... and it show in the price.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0