Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

View Poll Results: How often do you plan on tracking/autocross your new ///M
Never 41 26.97%
1-2 Times a year 50 32.89%
3-5 Times a year 34 22.37%
6-8 Times a year 16 10.53%
12+ Times a year 11 7.24%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

09-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #67
JeffM-Houston
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - White/Sakir

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM-Houston View Post
I just completed my first Autocross in the new car, and plan on 10-12 a year between the local SCCA and BMWCCA.

That's really good. how often do you plan on buying new tires?
Probably every 4-6 months if I keep using my DD tires, but I am seriously looking at getting a dedicated set of tires and wheels. The PSS are great for the street but there are a couple of tires that may be a little better for autocross.

I had posted a quick review after the 1200 mile service and 1st autocross, here's the relevant section, overall I think this is an exceptionally easy car to drive reasonably quickly:

[QUOTE]I ran the BMWCCA autocross today with results that I am very happy with, I think it was eight M3's in D class and one M Coupe who was the 2013 D Class champ, mostly running on dedicated autocross tires. I wound up 4th out of 9 but only .1s behind the M Coupe, .4s behind the instructor (E92) I had and .74s down from the 1st place car (modified E46). Mine was the only F8x chassis. I was running on the standard PSS tires, I set the air pressure to 37/40 f/r cold and didn't mess with it all day. There are a few 10th's to be made up just in air pressure, I wasn't getting onto the shoulder of the rears at all so was losing some grip capability there. I seemed to be getting the right amount of rollover on the fronts so next time I'll probably try 37/37 and see how that works out. I also ran the DCT in manual but only had one upshift to 2nd at the end of the first straight then left it there the rest of the run.

I ran everything in sport mode and M dynamic, and could still feel the traction control kicking in when trying to accelerate out of some of the slow corners, next month I'll probably make a couple of runs with all the e-nannies turned off. My main problem, I just didn't realize how good the standard brakes are on the car and was braking way to early. But overall since I am transitioning from a 150 hp FWD car with drum rear brakes I was pretty pleased, each run was a little faster. My final run was the fastest at 46.385 for reference. [QUOTE]

For next month I am going to lower the rear pressure to 37 to start, the fronts actually look like they were getting on the shoulders just the right amount so I'll leave them at 37. Even in dynamic setting the traction control is still too invasive. I could get the tires to make some sounds turning but acceleration was definitely hobbled until I built up enough speed to keep the tires from slipping, it would not let me spin the tires at all under straight acceleration. The brakes are much better than I thought they would be with the factory pads, and I believe getting used to how good they are will reduce the times the most.

To be honest I think they will have to bump the F8x cars to E class next year. I feel certain any of the good drivers could have beat my times by a second or more, perhaps a lot more. And even with a mediocre driver like me I know several places where I could have made up a few tenths just in acceleration. My time would also have been 3rd in E class, so if they bump it to E I feel it will still be very competitive.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #68
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack View Post
Too much kids soccer/baseball/basketball/tennis to worry about a track day.
This is exactly why I checked the 1-2 times per year box - anything more would be a pipe dream!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #69
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Are track pads recommended for those going to the track 3x a year?
      03-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #70
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Track pads are necessary for the heat generated with track use. Street pads have a tendency to overheat and smear pad deposit all over the rotors which leads to brake shudder (very often falsely diagnosed as warped rotors). If you are very careful and manage you brakes well, don't push too hard when you are on track and don't mind a little brake shudder after going to the track (the shudder usually goes away after 2~5 weeks of street driving), then you might be able to get away with using street pads. But if you really want to enjoy yourself, get proper track pads.

Brake management tips:
  1. Do a proper cool-down lap before going into the pits (don't use the brakes during that lap)
  2. Avoid applying the hot brakes when the car is stationary
  3. Don't back-up into your parking spot in the pits, go straight in (to avoid multiple application of hot brakes)
  4. Brake hard early in the braking zones, adjust your speed by releasing the brakes when nearing the turn-in point (instead of braking harder at the end)

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #71
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
2015 schedule:

8 track days with the M4 (2 so far this year)
15-18 track days with the E36 (4 so far)

23-26 days this year planned.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #72
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

2 track sessions per month, so 24 / year. I'm about to get posted abroad so going a bit crazy. Oh yes - am also on a mission to graduate from MDM to all nannies off
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #73
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
2 track sessions per month, so 24 / year. I'm about to get posted abroad so going a bit crazy. Oh yes - am also on a mission to graduate from MDM to all nannies off
I turned off traction control on track but never go into sport+ throttle mapping, will take some time since I can't heel toe. That's a lot of track days you're doing do you DD the car as well?
      03-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #74
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup
Quote:
I turned off traction control on track but never go into sport+ throttle mapping, will take some time since I can't heel toe. That's a lot of track days you're doing do you DD the car as well?
Same. Heel and toe is in the future for me so sport throttle is what I'm on. Yes car is my DD but don't use it much during the week. Have extra set of tires waiting and seeking to learn from you all on eventually (probably soon) replacing brake pads. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #75
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I turned off traction control on track but never go into sport+ throttle mapping, will take some time since I can't heel toe.
Quote:
Same. Heel and toe is in the future for me so sport throttle is what I'm on. Yes car is my DD but don't use it much during the week. Have extra set of tires waiting and seeking to learn from you all on eventually (probably soon) replacing brake pads. Cheers
The track is not the place to practice heel-and-toe. You are busy with so many other things. You don't need to be distracted with concentrating on heel-and-toe, especially not in the critical braking phase.

You need to know how to do it BEFORE you attempt doing it on track. Practice it on the street as much as you can, when it becomes second nature, you're ready to use it at the track .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #76
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I've done 1 already this year, 2 booked for March, 1 booked for June, then ~1 weekend planned per month in July, August, Sept, Oct, Nov

Shooting for 14 days this year.

Really wish I lived closed to the SoCal tracks so travel wouldn't eat up so much time
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #77
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
The track is not the place to practice heel-and-toe. You are busy with so many other things. You don't need to be distracted with concentrating on heel-and-toe, especially not in the critical braking phase.

You need to know how to do it BEFORE you attempt doing it on track. Practice it on the street as much as you can, when it becomes second nature, you're ready to use it at the track .
Yea I definitely agree with you, it just sucks that we can't practice heel-toeing on comfort throttle setting
      03-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #78
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Mechanics of hee/toe is not difficult, what takes practice is the timing. You can practice heel/toe mechanics while the car is turned off, we have electronic throttles, so its not like the old days where pressing the gas pedal actually squirts gas into the carburator

Just try it with car turned off, imagining you are going on a straight at full throttle, approaching the brake zone, then brake, clutch in, H/T blip throttle, shift down and clutch out. Once you get comfortable with car turned off with this sequence, try a little on the street, but you cannot get it right until you practice on the track; timing and amount braking and bliping are different.

I can tell you that with students where I used this car-off technique first in the paddock, they started doing H/T within a single session. They don't get the timing right immediately, but that takes practice few more sessions.
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #79
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Mechanics of hee/toe is not difficult, what takes practice is the timing. You can practice heel/toe mechanics while the car is turned off, we have electronic throttles, so its not like the old days where pressing the gas pedal actually squirts gas into the carburator

Just try it with car turned off, imagining you are going on a straight at full throttle, approaching the brake zone, then brake, clutch in, H/T blip throttle, shift down and clutch out. Once you get comfortable with car turned off with this sequence, try a little on the street, but you cannot get it right until you practice on the track; timing and amount braking and bliping are different.

I can tell you that with students where I used this car-off technique first in the paddock, they started doing H/T within a single session. They don't get the timing right immediately, but that takes practice few more sessions.
I do the same with my students

But you do also learn a lot by practicing blipping on the street.

Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #80
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
I turned off traction control on track but never go into sport+ throttle mapping, will take some time since I can't heel toe.
Quote:

Totally agree. I want to learn it for the technique. Question is : with the rev match feature in the M3/4 and other cars (corvette stingray for instance), do you guys still think it's worth learning ??
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #81
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
I do the same with my students

But you do also learn a lot by practicing blipping on the street.
Yes certainly. The issue on the street, as you know, is that the brake pedal stays to high to properly do it; although I had few people just practice blipping without the brakes
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #82
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
It was a very difficult skill for me to master, but I refused to give up and finally, this year, I've gotten very proficient with it on my E36 anyway. I'm a very large guy with old football injuries in the ankle and poor flexibility. The key for me was getting custom pedals so that I wouldn't have move my foot very far for the throttle blip. Also helps to have good pair of racing shoes obviously.

http://www.ultimatepedals.com/

I ordered the full left side extension throttle, but ended up have to customize it further. Literally sat in my car with a marker on the end of a stick and outlined where my foot laid.

It is a glorious feeling to get a rev match spot on and being able to match the blip to how aggressively you're braking.

The pedals are still too far apart for me on the M4, so I use Sport for that car on the track for now. I actually think there wouldn't be that much difference in lap times for Sport and Sport+, both give full power and you have to modulate throttle with either one on corner exit. Traction is the limiting factor for either one.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889

Last edited by MaynardZed; 03-13-2015 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #83
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Track pads are necessary for the heat generated with track use. Street pads have a tendency to overheat and smear pad deposit all over the rotors which leads to brake shudder (very often falsely diagnosed as warped rotors). If you are very careful and manage you brakes well, don't push too hard when you are on track and don't mind a little brake shudder after going to the track (the shudder usually goes away after 2~5 weeks of street driving), then you might be able to get away with using street pads. But if you really want to enjoy yourself, get proper track pads.

Brake management tips:
  1. Do a proper cool-down lap before going into the pits (don't use the brakes during that lap)
  2. Avoid applying the hot brakes when the car is stationary
  3. Don't back-up into your parking spot in the pits, go straight in (to avoid multiple application of hot brakes)
  4. Brake hard early in the braking zones, adjust your speed by releasing the brakes when nearing the turn-in point (instead of braking harder at the end)
Thanks for sharing this. How long will a set of track pad last me? Just one track day or more?
      03-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #84
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for sharing this. How long will a set of track pad last me? Just one track day or more?
Much more than one day.

I used to run PF08 on my E92 and the fronts lasted me 6~8 days while the rears lasted 12~16 days (twice as long as the fronts).

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #85
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Much more than one day.

I used to run PF08 on my E92 and the fronts lasted me 6~8 days while the rears lasted 12~16 days (twice as long as the fronts).
Too bad no PFC's yet... I'm going to buy Pagid RS29 and see how they work out this summer.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0