F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Top Gear Season 14 - E7 -- BMW X6 Stupidest car in the world
GetBMWParts

01-05-2010, 02:42 AM   #23
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad78 View Post
is this true? jeremy demonstrated on a simple steep grass and on a snow.. it was a complete failure..
watch the episode 7 and you can download here:
finalgear.com
Most of what you seen there was pure threater, no the X6 isn't defeated that easily, I should know as there is one in my family and at present there is snow and my driveway is quite steep. In fact the brother can stop on the hill and then pull forward without any drama what so ever and that is on summer tyres.

Watch the program and enjoy the entertainment factor but don't believe everything you see.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #24
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absorber View Post
Clarkson hates almost all current BMWs, so it's really no surprise.
not all. he loves the 135i
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #25
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absorber View Post
Clarkson hates almost all current BMWs, so it's really no surprise.
Remember earlier he reviewed the X6M? A bit but not much praise either...

But usually Clarkson only likes the ///M models....
      01-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #26
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Most of what you seen there was pure threater, no the X6 isn't defeated that easily, I should know as there is one in my family and at present there is snow and my driveway is quite steep. In fact the brother can stop on the hill and then pull forward without any drama what so ever and that is on summer tyres.

Watch the program and enjoy the entertainment factor but don't believe everything you see.
like other cars, you will change to winter/snow tires to make the car effectivly to have grip on the snow/sleet ground....even if a Land Rover equipped with summer tires, will be rubbish on snow and grass fields....

proper tires make a big difference
      01-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
like other cars, you will change to winter/snow tires to make the car effectivly to have grip on the snow/sleet ground....even if a Land Rover equipped with summer tires, will be rubbish on snow and grass fields....

proper tires make a big difference

No doubt about that but I was only highlighting the factor that from my experience the X6 even on summer tyres will do the things the JC's X6 failed to do.

The only points that was 100% correct was that it simply didn't make sensible to build or buy this car (no offence to those who own one) because what use is a 4 seater off roader this size with a boot which is practically useless unless you are load flat pack furniture, oh and of course the ride quality which is borderline awful on anything other than smooth roads. In my mind this was car simply designed to boost additional sales with minimum development costs, great for BMW but that still doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.

Apart for these failings it's the ideal choice over an X5.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #28
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

By summer tires, do you mean All season? That's what my dad's X5 came in .. i was so glad to persuade him out of the X6...now he's only angry I didn't tell him the X5m was coming out..because it's marginal difference from his 4.8i.. he likes the ooomph
      01-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #29
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No doubt about that but I was only highlighting the factor that from my experience the X6 even on summer tyres will do the things the JC's X6 failed to do.

The only points that was 100% correct was that it simply didn't make sensible to build or buy this car (no offence to those who own one) because what use is a 4 seater off roader this size with a boot which is practically useless unless you are load flat pack furniture, oh and of course the ride quality which is borderline awful on anything other than smooth roads. In my mind this was car simply designed to boost additional sales with minimum development costs, great for BMW but that still doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.

Apart for these failings it's the ideal choice over an X5.
Agree!

In terms of practicality, myself would get X5 instead. But for the look, I do like the X6...
But do not expect this car will haul the entire IKEA collection home or helping to haul from Home Depot....this is more like a raised 335i...given the hardened sport suspension...and drives like a sports sedan/coupe...

I'd say this car is having an identity crisis....
      01-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #30
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
By summer tires, do you mean All season?
Don't know about that, they look like summer tyres to me. Maybe it's a difference in the term 'summer', they aren't performance tyres like the M3 if that's what you meant.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #31
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Don't blame on Top Gear, its just a show and not more like a comedy series about cars. I watch it for the fun, I don't buy a car based on their review. They made fun of the E90 when it first came out, said who buys them have so soul, etc etc.

anyhow, its funny how Clarkson went around the world to "review" the X6...
      01-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #32
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Don't know about that, they look like summer tyres to me. Maybe it's a difference in the term 'summer', they aren't performance tyres like the M3 if that's what you meant.
And also, Clarkson only did side-by-side comparison of the X6 with Land Rover on grass field. But it didn't on the snow...I wonder why...

Seems like in that kind of snow and slope, even the Land Rover might just barely climb the snow slope.....
      01-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #33
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agree!

In terms of practicality, myself would get X5 instead. But for the look, I do like the X6...
But do not expect this car will haul the entire IKEA collection home or helping to haul from Home Depot....this is more like a raised 335i...given the hardened sport suspension...and drives like a sports sedan/coupe...

I'd say this car is having an identity crisis....
On purely looks it is probably the nicest of all SUVs (sorry SAV) available and that was what sold it to the brother, being single and all that but to him it wasn't a decision he would rush into again any time soon and will be making the switch as soon as possible. Simply because of the ride quality and it's poor composure over bumps in mid corner.

Drives like a sportscar, only in that it shares the same overly stiff suspension setting but as for the driving experience (sorry for quoting this) but compared to the similarly sized Q5 3.2 S/Line it still feels extremely big and heavy and clumsy.

The X5 S/E is a much better drive in my mind, oh and steer clear of the 20" alloys.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #34
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And also, Clarkson only did side-by-side comparison of the X6 with Land Rover on grass field. But it didn't on the snow...I wonder why...

Seems like in that kind of snow and slope, even the Land Rover might just barely climb the snow slope.....
No I have no doubt given the rubber on a LR that it would have climb that snow covered hill with easy. The rubber is playing a part in what was seen but what was suggested in this video was the X6 was rubbish which isn't true.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #35
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

the 328 is not alone anymore

we have a choices now for "BMW's pointless car"
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #36
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg06 View Post
poor guy. clarkson pissed in your cheerios.
he he...not just mine,more than 100000! but i dont care..just felt need to comment!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #37
DrunkOnJ20
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP E90 :(

To find out, I went to Australia...
      01-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #38
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
when you open the door like he did the tranny goes into park because it thinks you're getting out and forgetting to throw it in park.
on an AWD vehicle putting the car in park would lock the front wheels too though. In the video it didn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #39
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
On purely looks it is probably the nicest of all SUVs (sorry SAV) available and that was what sold it to the brother, being single and all that but to him it wasn't a decision he would rush into again any time soon and will be making the switch as soon as possible. Simply because of the ride quality and it's poor composure over bumps in mid corner.

Drives like a sportscar, only in that it shares the same overly stiff suspension setting but as for the driving experience (sorry for quoting this) but compared to the similarly sized Q5 3.2 S/Line it still feels extremely big and heavy and clumsy.

The X5 S/E is a much better drive in my mind, oh and steer clear of the 20" alloys.
that is true. there is a review of the x6 35i and 2009 fx35. the fx35 is a better driver car and ride better on the street.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #40
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkOnJ20 View Post
To find out, I went to Australia...
Obviously, everything here is up-side-down, and yet it still works beautifully.
And that's impressive.

01-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #41
DrunkOnJ20
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP E90 :(

That cracked me up...
      01-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #42
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Not sure what BMW's intention was on the X6. Looks wise it is quite stunning. Performance wise as a SUV? Complete fail.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #43
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I really like the looks of the X6, I'd roll it lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #44
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E91; '12 Z4 35i

Shortly after the X6 came out, I was at my dealership for routine maintenance on my E93. I was admiring the lines of the X6 and the sales manager actually said that car was a big mistake. I guess they didn't sell too many!

Doug
Appreciate 0