F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Hey guys, need some help/advice
proTUNING Freaks

10-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
crazysabbath
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 528i Premium/Sport pkg

Question Hey guys, need some help/advice

Hey so about a year ago, i purchased my first BMW, my 2008 528i, and I thought i would get used to its lack of power (its quick, but not ballsy) but i can't get used to it. I've been googling, and googling, trying to find "bolt-ons" to increase the power and response, with no luck really. Can you guys help me out? i'd appreciate some pointers and non sarcastic comments
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

You really have 3 options to increase power of your N52:

1) This is the most effective but most involved. Your car is producing 230 hp and 200 ft-lbf torque. In some cars, BMW used a 3-stage manifold and altered the ECU to output 255 hp and 220 ft-lbf. There is a conversion thread here in which someone purchased all necessary parts and converted their standard N52 to the more potent 3-stage version. Unfortunately you'll have to get an aftermarket tune in this case, as BMW won't be able to help with any OEM solutions. You can find a 3-stage intake manifold from a salvaged 06 330i, Z4 3.0si, E83 3.0si, or E70 3.0si. Or you can buy all the parts new, which I believe comes out to about $1k (+another $500-$1k for the tune).

2) You can improve your intake in one of two ways: 1] pull your airbox, cut out the black permanent carbon filter (make sure all edges are smooth and clean), and replace your stock air filter with a KNN drop-in. (Or you can PM me and I'll trade this setup for your stock one + some cash as I'm going back to stock). This will make a slight difference in how your car idles, revs, and sounds. 2] The much nicer intake is the euro airbox. This is a different airbox used on non-US cars which uses a cone filter and significantly improves airflow. You can order from ECS Tuning for ~$400 (+$50 for KNN cone filter), or the better solution is to monitor ebay.co.uk and look for a used one there. They were used on all 130i/330i/530i (+ probably more) in the UK. Ask the seller for US shipping if he doesn't offer it. This method will give a notable increase in how quickly your car revs and sounds. I loved this setup when I had it. Maybe 10hp? I used in in combination with the 3-stage manifold, with which my 330i comes standard.

3) You can get an exhaust. Since BMW doesn't make the 'Performance Exhaust' for your E60, I'd recommend going a custom route. You're probably best off going to a shop for custom work. Have the resonator cut out and replaced with a Y-pipe (assuming you have a resonator like E90s) and the muffler replaced with a $100 magnaflow. You can go the pre-built aftermarket route, but you'll be spending over $1k and without any clear benefit. Again, maybe 10hp.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
crazysabbath
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
You really have 3 options to increase power of your N52:

1) This is the most effective but most involved. Your car is producing 230 hp and 200 ft-lbf torque. In some cars, BMW used a 3-stage manifold and altered the ECU to output 255 hp and 220 ft-lbf. There is a conversion thread here in which someone purchased all necessary parts and converted their standard N52 to the more potent 3-stage version. Unfortunately you'll have to get an aftermarket tune in this case, as BMW won't be able to help with any OEM solutions. You can find a 3-stage intake manifold from a salvaged 06 330i, Z4 3.0si, E83 3.0si, or E70 3.0si. Or you can buy all the parts new, which I believe comes out to about $1k (+another $500-$1k for the tune).

2) You can improve your intake in one of two ways: 1] pull your airbox, cut out the black permanent carbon filter (make sure all edges are smooth and clean), and replace your stock air filter with a KNN drop-in. (Or you can PM me and I'll trade this setup for your stock one + some cash as I'm going back to stock). This will make a slight difference in how your car idles, revs, and sounds. 2] The much nicer intake is the euro airbox. This is a different airbox used on non-US cars which uses a cone filter and significantly improves airflow. You can order from ECS Tuning for ~$400 (+$50 for KNN cone filter), or the better solution is to monitor ebay.co.uk and look for a used one there. They were used on all 130i/330i/530i (+ probably more) in the UK. Ask the seller for US shipping if he doesn't offer it. This method will give a notable increase in how quickly your car revs and sounds. I loved this setup when I had it. Maybe 10hp? I used in in combination with the 3-stage manifold, with which my 330i comes standard.

3) You can get an exhaust. Since BMW doesn't make the 'Performance Exhaust' for your E60, I'd recommend going a custom route. You're probably best off going to a shop for custom work. Have the resonator cut out and replaced with a Y-pipe (assuming you have a resonator like E90s) and the muffler replaced with a $100 magnaflow. You can go the pre-built aftermarket route, but you'll be spending over $1k and without any clear benefit. Again, maybe 10hp.
Thats Awesome, man! Thanks for all of the information. Could you possibly give me the part number for the airbox off of the ecs tuning website? i looked and couldn't find it, i'm definitely going to get a new one rather then the ebay route (which was an awesome idea). I was also looking for the manifolds at some of the local junkyards that specialize in BMW's. I think i'm going to try and get a double whammy like you said, along with a custom exhaust. I'm just a little worried about the sound of a magnaflow...i was an american car guy before this, and wanted to get away from the loud rumbly sound and i don't want the car to be too loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysabbath View Post
Thats Awesome, man! Thanks for all of the information. Could you possibly give me the part number for the airbox off of the ecs tuning website? i looked and couldn't find it, i'm definitely going to get a new one rather then the ebay route (which was an awesome idea). I was also looking for the manifolds at some of the local junkyards that specialize in BMW's. I think i'm going to try and get a double whammy like you said, along with a custom exhaust. I'm just a little worried about the sound of a magnaflow...i was an american car guy before this, and wanted to get away from the loud rumbly sound and i don't want the car to be too loud.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-330...ake/ES2072577/

The thing about the ECS box is that it comes with the Euro MAF sensor, which you don't need. Guess you can just throw it up on eBay.

As for the exhaust, remember you're hearing the engine. Obviously it's all preference, just search around and you'll see pretty much EVERY N52 exhaust option covered in youtube form.

Absolute best bet would be to find a used E90 performance exhaust and have it custom fitted to your E60, but that's $$$ expensive
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
crazysabbath
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-330...ake/ES2072577/

The thing about the ECS box is that it comes with the Euro MAF sensor, which you don't need. Guess you can just throw it up on eBay.

As for the exhaust, remember you're hearing the engine. Obviously it's all preference, just search around and you'll see pretty much EVERY N52 exhaust option covered in youtube form.

Absolute best bet would be to find a used E90 performance exhaust and have it custom fitted to your E60, but that's $$$ expensive
Not to question you, considering you really know what you're talking about, but this really is for my 528 right? cuz the ecs website is saying thats for a 330...but im assuming that they used the same parts? BTW you've been awesome, truly, thank you for taking your time to help me out. you rock
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysabbath View Post
Not to question you, considering you really know what you're talking about, but this really is for my 528 right? cuz the ecs website is saying thats for a 330...but im assuming that they used the same parts? BTW you've been awesome, truly, thank you for taking your time to help me out. you rock
Scratch that. All E60s worldwide have the panel-filter airbox, no difference between Euro and USDM. The intake routes to the intake manifold differently. Which means the intake manifold probably isn't compatible between your 528 and the cars I listed above.

*You might be able to install both manifold and intake at the same time, but if it was my car, I'd want to see it done before doing something for the first time like this.

So you won't be able to fit a different OEM intake into your car, only aftermarket such as aFe. I'd recommend just going the carbon filter delete and KNN panel route, though. There have been dynos showing that aftermarket intakes decrease performance of N52s due to heat soak.

Learn to use realoem.com. It'll help with finding part numbers and comparing things like Euro/US parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
crazysabbath
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Scratch that. All E60s worldwide have the panel-filter airbox, no difference between Euro and USDM. The intake routes to the intake manifold differently. Which means the intake manifold probably isn't compatible between your 528 and the cars I listed above.

*You might be able to install both manifold and intake at the same time, but if it was my car, I'd want to see it done before doing something for the first time like this.

So you won't be able to fit a different OEM intake into your car, only aftermarket such as aFe. I'd recommend just going the carbon filter delete and KNN panel route, though. There have been dynos showing that aftermarket intakes decrease performance of N52s due to heat soak.

Learn to use realoem.com. It'll help with finding part numbers and comparing things like Euro/US parts.
So pretty much, from the 3 options i had, i went down to just 1.5 options of just getting a KNN filter and the exhaust? And dammit i was so excited...I NEED MORE POWER!
Appreciate 0