F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW first with new jam-busting technology: Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI)
proTUNING Freaks

10-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #23
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
Agreed. I had a 2007 Honda Accord and the Nav was much better than on my 2011 BMW. The BMW gives you the worst route possible and is late on telling you when to turn.

That is definitely an issue of user error. The BMW nav notifies you a mile or more before you need to turn, and then breaks it down into feet before you actually reach the turn. Maybe you aren't listening attentively?!!??
So you're suggesting I used MU Honda nav well but once I got a BMW nav I stopped paying attention? Not likely. Yes, it notifies you a mile away but that doesn't help that much when you have driven about a mike and there are several streets that look like they might be the one (signage is not so good around here.) My Honda nav timed it perfectly and would say "make the next right" while giving me time to see the next right and take it. The BMW will often say it at a point where I will need to jam on my brakes hard if I hope to make the turn.

It also doesn't do well with forks in roads. Sometimes it won't say anything at all or worse, about 500ft before the fork it will say "take the next right". Ill see side streets and know it cant be telling me to go on those and then suddenly ill see the fork and figure it meant, "veer to the right up ahead".

One more thing, let's say I'm driving along and want to know the next gas station coming up. Well, the car will give me a list of like 10 stations that seem to be in no particular order. Also, I might be going north but it will list all these gas stations that are south of me. I'll scroll through those and then find one a couple miles ahead. That should have been the first entry, not stations I already passed up and that are even farther away.
      10-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #24
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Quote:
Agreed. I had a 2007 Honda Accord and the Nav was much better than on my 2011 BMW.
You are starting to worry me. I have a 2006 Accord, and the latest White disc 2011 update. The directions are pretty good, but the graphics are weak, and there is zero traffic info. Was hoping my '12 E92 was going to be a step up.
Graphics and traffic wise it is better. But actually utilizing the navigation does not work as well. It's ok on the highway with exits spaced far apart but it's not so good with then when they are close together, which is precisely when you could use a navigator.
      10-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
So you're suggesting I used MU Honda nav well but once I got a BMW nav I stopped paying attention? Not likely.
A reasonable person would have concluded the same thing based on what you stated. That's all!

Quote:
Yes, it notifies you a mile away but that doesn't help that much when you have driven about a mike and there are several streets that look like they might be the one (signage is not so good around here.)
And how is BMW at fault here? Did you ignore the navigation unit when it stated, "destination is 300 feet ahead"....."destination is 100 feet ahead"? Please don't interpret that statement as me questioning your basic intelligence, but how much more descriptive does the navigation interface need to be!??!

Quote:
My Honda nav timed it perfectly and would say "make the next right" while giving me time to see the next right and take it.
Like I stated above...

...if the navigation unit instructs me that my turn is 100 feet ahead, that is a degree of distance that is easily perceptible. I just don't understand how anybody could have an issue with that.

Quote:
The BMW will often say it at a point where I will need to jam on my brakes hard if I hope to make the turn.

It also doesn't do well with forks in roads. Sometimes it won't say anything at all or worse, about 500ft before the fork it will say "take the next right". Ill see side streets and know it cant be telling me to go on those and then suddenly ill see the fork and figure it meant, "veer to the right up ahead".

It sounds like your vehicle has a sense of humor. My car warns me about forks, highway transitions, etc. long before I reach them. TOO EARLY in fact (..if I had to nit-pick)!

Quote:
One more thing, let's say I'm driving along and want to know the next gas station coming up. Well, the car will give me a list of like 10 stations that seem to be in no particular order. Also, I might be going north but it will list all these gas stations that are south of me. I'll scroll through those and then find one a couple miles ahead. That should have been the first entry, not stations I already passed up and that are even farther away.
I'll have to look at my unit again, but I believe that my unit lists them from closest to furthest.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #26
e kay 9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiike32 View Post
I just use my smart phone... google maps ftw.

I just got my nav for the hump... .

yes,saves me alot of time going into NYC on the westside
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #27
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And how is BMW at fault here? Did you ignore the navigation unit when it stated, "destination is 300 feet ahead"....."destination is 100 feet ahead"? Please don't interpret that statement as me questioning your basic intelligence, but how much more descriptive does the navigation interface need to be!??!

Like I stated above...

...if the navigation unit instructs me that my turn is 100 feet ahead, that is a degree of distance that is easily perceptible. I just don't understand how anybody could have an issue with that
Like I said, it's about the timing. Yes, 100ft is a perceptible distance but when you have two roads spaced 20ft apart it can be an issue. I am just agreeing with the other poster that Honda nav systems are better. I think a lot of what I'm mentioning has to do with the gps antenna being rather weak. If I go through an underpass at less than 60mph I'll lose the signal on my satellite radio whereas my Honda would only lose it if I parked under the overpass. I've also lost signal before on long stretches of roads due to tall trees. On those same roads the Honda handled it just fine.*

I'm really not sure why you are debating MY observations on the differences between Honda and BMW nav. Do you now or have you owned a recent Honda with navigation? Myself and the other poster have and we reached the same conclussions.
      10-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #28
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, it's about the timing. Yes, 100ft is a perceptible distance but when you have two roads spaced 20ft apart it can be an issue. I am just agreeing with the other poster that Honda nav systems are better. I think a lot of what I'm mentioning has to do with the gps antenna being rather weak. If I go through an underpass at less than 60mph I'll lose the signal on my satellite radio whereas my Honda would only lose it if I parked under the overpass. I've also lost signal before on long stretches of roads due to tall trees. On those same roads the Honda handled it just fine.*
I lose my satellite radio signal when I park in my garage, but I've never experienced a lapse in the connection when traveling under an overpass. Fortunately I have never parked under an overpass nor have I ever had the need to do so. Were you with a hooker? Kidding!

Quote:
I'm really not sure why you are debating MY observations on the differences between Honda and BMW nav. Do you now or have you owned a recent Honda with navigation? Myself and the other poster have and we reached the same conclussions.

I haven't owned a Honda/Acura in many years. I have, however, been in a friend's 2011 Acura TSX with navigation. I haven't noticed any superiority over the BMW unit, BUT I also haven't spent that much time in the car either.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #29
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

And on that bombshell...I'm going to go with the Top Gear TomTom edition as my navi of choice.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #30
ClutchThese
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Who made the iPhone app?

It's legit!

I'm honestly surprised the site doesn't have the android version of vbulletin software to tie then over until they can port over the same product as the iPhones.
      10-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #31
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I lose my satellite radio signal when I park in my garage, but I've never experienced a lapse in the connection when traveling under an overpass. Fortunately I have never parked under an overpass nor have I ever had the need to do so. Were you with a hooker? Kidding!
Ha...I knew you were gonna say that No, unfortunately that is just a part of my daily commute.

That's odd that I'm losing coverage at times and you never have. Maybe I've got a bad antenna. I'll ask the hooker to look at it before she gets in the car next time
      10-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #32
ede92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

Google Maps is still much better at reporting real-time traffic conditions including many secondary roads.
      10-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #33
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I hate BMW nav, and ACURA's is a joke too.

I just use my phone and the best part is I can take it anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #34
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) is something new for EU/Germany. However, it has been used in the states for years now. Its something that is only new for the Germa market.
Yes, although the technology has been here (EU) for more than a decade as well.
Collecting and distributing floating car data from cell phones has been a major headache for a number of reasons. One reason is stringent privacy protection laws and another is how to find customers who are willing to pay for these services.
      10-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #35
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) is something new for EU/Germany. However, it has been used in the states for years now. Its something that is only new for the Germa market.
It's a bit complicated. This RTTI as now introduced in Germany is different from the current US version. The US RTTI still works via radio (much like the European TMC), but BMW is planning to introduce the new version in the US as well.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #36
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
It's a bit complicated. This RTTI as now introduced in Germany is different from the current US version. The US RTTI still works via radio (much like the European TMC), but BMW is planning to introduce the new version in the US as well.

Best regards,
south
Will it be introduced into the current line up? Or are we talking Fxx gen cars only? (7,6,5,3 sedan and corresponding X models)?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #37
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Will it be introduced into the current line up? Or are we talking Fxx gen cars only? (7,6,5,3 sedan and corresponding X models)?
It's now available for the current line up in Germany (including e.g. E82 1M) but only on new cars (post september production). Should be the same for the US.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #38
joshtimber
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

This is really a cool feature. No doubt why BMW are always on top.
      10-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #39
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. I had a 2007 Honda Accord and the Nav was much better than on my 2011 BMW. The BMW gives you the worst route possible and is late on telling you when to turn.

That is definitely an issue of user error. The BMW nav notifies you a mile or more before you need to turn, and then breaks it down into feet before you actually reach the turn. Maybe you aren't listening attentively?!!??
That's not always true. Most of the time my Nav works exactly as you described but at times I have had it tell me to take an exit just as I'm passing the exit. First time I thought I missed the prompts but the second time I knew it was the Nav and not me. Doesn't happen all the time but it does happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #40
yo-ga
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Conv. Sport 6MT

I love my Nav with RTTI. Here in L.A., it's indispensable.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #41
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
That's not always true. Most of the time my Nav works exactly as you described but at times I have had it tell me to take an exit just as I'm passing the exit. First time I thought I missed the prompts but the second time I knew it was the Nav and not me. Doesn't happen all the time but it does happen.

That's unfortunate. In all of my years of driving BMW's this has never happened to me. There will always be exceptions though.
Appreciate 0