E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > OCD High End Detailers - Techniques - Technologies

06-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM

Garage List
OCD High End Detailers - Techniques - Technologies

Post any known high-end detailing shops on this thread - $$$ is not the issue here. Detailing is as much an art as it is technology; e.g. using distilled water, de-ionized water, removing "Spider Webs" caused by not drying the car correctly, using water with too many TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) and contamination (dirt). There are a specific techniques and technologies to wash, dry, condition your ride to keep it as pristine as possible - factory/near factory level glamorous. This topic is to identify those who practice in this space at an Obsessive Compulsive level so you know where to take your "baby" and hot have her assaulted by "rough hands and foul breath." These guys and Gals cost but it is worth it! Name of the game here is the end result no matter the cost.
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete

Last edited by EMITTR; 06-08-2013 at 04:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Had her spa treated at Glistening Perfection in Aliso Viejo CA. Not cheap but not over the top either...the transformation was beyond imagination and worth it. Returned to showroom floor exterior and interior. This is an investment. Typical cars in here - BMW, McLaren, Fisker, Tesla, Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Alpha Romero, Maserati, etc. He put the same level of effort and work into my 335is that he did those makes listed above. He uses de-ionized water, formulates his own soaps and oils. Moe (owner) is a master!

Moe is OCD like me about the look and conditioning of the car. One of the first people who echoed that a performance car is not "just a car" like a fighter jet is not "just an airplane." Watch his video and join this OCD Word-of-Mouth thread for keeping your "baby" at its maximum radiance!

As I travel I would like to know where the other "Moes" are...please post 'em if you know of 'em regardless of their location.

http://www.glisteningperfection.com
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete

Last edited by EMITTR; 06-08-2013 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Learned that all car washes are not equal. After spending $1200.00 in paint correction, decontamination, "spider web" removal, and getting my baby back looking like it came from the factory...I attended a class from Glistening Perfection on how to keep my investment from being ruined again by regular car washes. I was shocked to know just how easily dealers damage their cars when they prep them for delivery and then car washing adds to this. Including me.

Example. I was at a BMW dealer and all their cars - M3, M5, M6, 335s, 328s - all of them were marred by "Spider Webbing" from their washing. Brand new cars 40K - 130K new and innocently damaged sitting on their lot. But to the untrained eye...they looked unharmed.

After a three hour session on washing; i.e. what to do and how to do it, and what products to use/not use...I am comfortable that I won't screw up the work I paid to have done. Again I do not work for Glistening Perfection but go there as they are the best and when word of mouth from Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley, Tesla, and other BMW owners have their cars shipped directly there with the "plastic" still on - telling the dealer not to touch it...well you know these guys are for real. After two weeks, my ride is 50% less dirty due to the products they use and I purchased. I now wash my car with only distilled water which has 0 total dissolved solids and use their product line....

While this may sound like an ad pitch for them...and in a way it is...I am fanatical about keeping the car clean and in as pristine condition as I can. $1200 of automotive renewal service to get it there inside and out and about 10/week washing it myself in the manner GP suggested will to keep her there. Visiting them once a year after the initial Phase 1,2,3 visits will set me back $600 per year. Not bad when I was spending about $80 - $120 a month going through hand car wash joints and having them innocently destroy my paint.

I have seen it many places..."a BMW is just a car." Uh...so then an F-16 is just a Cessna 152?

Hope someone finds this info helpful.

Last edited by EMITTR; 06-10-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, smells like a duck, it's a duck.

No offense, but this smells like self-promotion.

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, not offended and like I said - any word of mouth about something is in essence - promotion. However, not a duck here as I don't work for GP, rather an extremely satisfied customer. I bought the car used and the previous owner did not take care of it and I, not knowing, added to the imperfections in the paint and interior. Found GP on Rennlist through my brother and checked this guy out. Took my car in the following week and the results speak volumes. And I say it again...I don't work for this guy but when I find a good product I give it praise. Same thing if the product is crap. So, for those who are not skeptics - the info is here. Any questions on what I learned from GP I can pass on as I believe the more info you have - the better. I paid for it, so I will share with others who are just as fanatical about the looks of their car as I am. Info that sounds inconsequential or over the top on the surface, but has real value. For instance, when I left GP this weekend, I had at least 5 different groups of towels - each with a separate instructions for use. I don't know who makes all of them but one style is for the exterior paint (http://www.tcsgarage.com/store/TY605...IBER+TOWEL+2pk), another for the wheels, another for the glass, another for the upholstery, and another for the carpets.

As I said....OCD when it comes to keeping the car clean and pristine. So, still smelling self-promotion? Only if I tell you AT&T is better than Sprint. If I do that...guilty as charged.

Last edited by EMITTR; 06-10-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0