F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Galaxy Note 4
GetBMWParts

10-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Galaxy Note 4

Anyone own a Note 4 or previous iteration? I would like to hear your thoughts/experiences. I cannot find the 6 Plus anywhere and shipping times put it at a Thanksgiving arrival date.

Background: always had an iPhone, it met my needs. However, recently apple's IOS is boring me, hence my desire to jump to android.

The Note 4 looks beautiful in white. I was gonna head to AT&T store and check it out this weekend. Just wanted to hear member opinions.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I have a Galaxy Tab 3 8.0. Not a phone, but I love everything about the OS and interface. I have it hooked to my university email and my private email. The calendar is tied into my university one. I can access my university and home desktops from it, and there are several other very cool apps I run on it. I also have an iPad and a Windows 8 tablet. Both just sit in a drawer in my office. They can't touch the Android tablet interface.

I can't say anything about the phone capabilities or performance, though. Just the Android/Galaxy OS and interface. Very cool.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

If you get Androids phone you can get the LG r watch.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Just got the Note 4. I've owned iPhones and other Androids in the past and I really don't care about brand. I just want a big screen because I have large hands and want something fast.

I'm not an Apple hater, I'm actually an investor and have 2 iPads, but the Note 4 is 2 years ahead of the iPhone 6 Plus.

Sure, if you're an Apple lifer, homer, or "ecosystem" guy, you might have some points on why you want to stick with Apple.

However if you want to be objective, the Note is just a flat out better phone.

Run on sentence time: Note 4 has a better screen, better resolution, bigger screen, more functionality, expandable memory with SD card, S Pen, better or at least equal camera, easily better front facing camera, more customizable software and with Android 5.0 better software, TRUE multitasking, multi-window, the back button, better in all specs if that matters to you, widgets and more cool factor so your phone doesn't look like everyone else, and it's more durable.

I do think Apple makes quality products, but their unwillingness to innovate and their tendency to copy functions Android has had for years (Large screens, NFC, cloud backup, etc has just gotten too annoying.

And don't tell me about speed tests from Youtube that show the iPhone is faster at opening Apple optimized apps and 52 tap sequences. The iPhone does make good use of its speed, but it's technically lacking and the Note is faster in real world application, in my experience. If it's not faster, it's AT least as fast. Remember, the Note 4 display has like 80% more pixels than the 6 plus, so it needs more power because it has more functionality.

Note 4 all day and again, I've been happy with Apple in the past. They are just not the best anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
Just got the Note 4. I've owned iPhones and other Anroids in the past.

I'm not an Apple hater, I'm actually an investor and have an iPad, but the Note 4 is 2 years ahead of the iPhone 6 Plus.

Sure, if you're an Apple lifer, homer, or "ecosystem" guy, you might have some points on why you want to stick with Apple.

However if you want to be objective, the Note is just a flat out better phone.

Run on sentence time: Note 4 has a better screen, better resolution, bigger screen, more functionality, expandable memory with SD card, S Pen, better or at least equal camera, easily better front facing camera, more customizable software and with Android 5.0 better software, TRUE multitasking, multi-window, the back button, better in all specs if that matters to you, widgets and more cool factor so your phone doesn't look like everyone else, and it's more durable.

I do think Apple makes quality products, but their unwillingness to innovate and their tendency to copy functions Android has had for years (Large screens, NFC, cloud backup, etc has just gotten too annoying.

And don't tell me about speed tests from Youtube that show the iPhone is faster at opening Apple optimized apps and 52 tap sequences. The iPhone does make good use of its speed, but it's technically lacking and the Note is faster in real world application, in my experience. If it's not faster, it's AT least as fast. Remember, the Note 4 display has like 80% more pixels than the 6 plus, so it needs more power because it has more functionality.

Note 4 all day and again, I've been happy with Apple in the past. They are just not the best anymore.
Thanks for the review! What carrier and how much did you pay? And how was availability of the model you wanted?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
Thanks for the review! What carrier and how much did you pay? And how was availability of the model you wanted?
ATT. It's cheaper to just do the Next program. I thought it was stupid too, but they've pretty much made it simple math.

Two Options if you're eligible for an upgrade:

1) Pay $299 discounted contract plus up front + tax and $25/month MORE for your service because ATT charges $40 instead of $15 for your service access charge.

2) Pay nothing up front and get a $25/month service credit ($15 instead of $40) for 24 months and pay $34.37/month for 24 months (full price for phone) interest free.

Quick math tells you you're paying $52.45/month for 24 months in option 1 and $49.37/month in option 2. I went over it 5 different ways and it's cheaper to do the no interest financing because of the $25 service discount. You own the phone either way at the end of the term. Next also lets you upgrade early.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #7
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
ATT. It's cheaper to just do the Next program. I thought it was stupid too, but they've pretty much made it simple math.

1) Pay $299 discounted contract plus + tax and $25/month MORE for your service because ATT charges $40 instead of $15 for your service access charge.

2) Pay nothing up gront and get a $25/month service credit for 24 months and pay $34.37/month for 24 months (full price for phone) interest free.

Quick math tells you you're paying $52.45/month for 24 months in option 1 and $49.37/month in option 2. I went over it 5 different ways and it's cheaper to do the no interest financing because of the $25 service discount. You own the phone either way at the end of the term. Next also lets you upgrade early.
I wish I could debate your calculations but too late at night to think straight. However, this is something I heard from someone else, so it does make me curious. I have an upgrade coming up in 2 weeks, so I was just going to use that to buy the phone. I already knew about the $40 charge, ridiculous how it increased.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i have the note 3 and absolutely love it. after getting it i found other phones annoying to use.

BUT i hate the forced bloatware by the phone provider and samsung. although it's good software, i hate anything that's forced on me.

finally, i will be selling it next month to get the new Nexus 6 directly from google. it'll be the greatest thing since... well.. ever.

not only no bloatware but also better specs than any phone out there including anything apple or samsung.
      10-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron
i have the note 3 and absolutely love it. after getting it i found other phones annoying to use.

BUT i hate the forced bloatware by the phone provider and samsung. although it's good software, i hate anything that's forced on me.

finally, i will be selling it next month to get the new Nexus 6 directly from google. it'll be the greatest thing since... well.. ever.

not only no bloatware but also better specs than any phone out there including anything apple or samsung.
New to android, I'm assuming you can't delete any of this bloatware?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yea, it's really stupid. you can delete it but you would have to root it (jailbreak).

it doesn't really hurt anything and it's mostly good stuff but why do providers like t-moble and verizon think that's okay? i'm sure the companies that make applications pay them.

i'm not an apple user but i was told starting with iphone 5 they have it too so the iphone 6 might have bloatware. i'm not sure if that's true or not though.

no matter if you're an apple or android user, i would say the nexus 6 is the way to go but that's only if you can wait.

if i couldn't wait, i would go for a note 4 for sure. my note 3 is seriously brilliant so i'm sure the next gens are likely better.
      10-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron
Quote:
yea, it's really stupid. you can delete it but you would have to root it (jailbreak).

it doesn't really hurt anything and it's mostly good stuff but why do providers like t-moble and verizon think that's okay? i'm sure the companies that make applications pay them.

i'm not an apple user but i was told starting with iphone 5 they have it too. not sure if that's true or not.

no matter if you're an apple or android user, i would say the nexus 6 is the way to go but that's only if you can wait.

if i couldn't wait, i would go for a note 4 for sure. my note 3 is seriously brilliant so i'm sure the next gens are likely better.
Oh ok.

Well I've heard about the Nexus but I can't wait, hence the Note 4.

This is a nice comparo tho:

http://www.gizmag.com/galaxy-note-4-vs-nexus-6/34359/
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh ok.

Well I've heard about the Nexus but I can't wait, hence the Note 4.

This is a nice comparo tho:

that is a good comparison. i'm sure there will be others that favor nexus too.

i do like the thought of a better camera and heart rate monitor on the note 4 but the other features i have now and do not use at all. like the stylus, split screen, and one-handed mode. i think i used the stylus maybe 3 or 4 times since i've had it.

i think the only thing that makes me lean toward the nexus is the faster updates.

i bet you'll be happy with the note 4. i really like my 3 a lot.

i should mention that when i first got it, i wasn't sure if i liked the size of it for the first two days or so but as soon as i got use to it, i couldn't go back to something smaller.
      10-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #13
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

how is the note 4 battery? is it better than iPhone 5s? i cant get thru a day without charging my 5s and it gets pretty annoying.
      10-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

wife has a Note 3. battery lasts 1 day +, even with her running a gazillion apps in the background.

she uses it on a daily basis. get the note if you want to use a pen to take down quick notes. She uses it at work at lot, quick notes & etc.
      10-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
i guess the note 4 has fast charge or rapid charge too. never tried it, just read about it. basically charges really fast or something haha
      10-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Question: on AT&T website, the note 4 only comes in black and white, but on samsungs website, it's also offered in gold and pink. Where could I get it in gold?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #17
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

1) Pay $299 discounted contract plus up front + tax and $25/month MORE for your service because ATT charges $40 instead of $15 for your service access charge.

2) Pay nothing up front and get a $25/month service credit ($15 instead of $40) for 24 months and pay $34.37/month for 24 months (full price for phone) interest free.

Is this what you were referring to?

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i guess the note 4 has fast charge or rapid charge too. never tried it, just read about it. basically charges really fast or something haha
It has the rapid charge mine charges from 0 to 50% in 30 minutes, the rest of the battery is about normal charge mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
how is the note 4 battery? is it better than iPhone 5s? i cant get thru a day without charging my 5s and it gets pretty annoying.
Best battery I have had yet, I can go 2 full days with heavy usage no problem

Quote:
Question: on AT&T website, the note 4 only comes in black and white, but on samsungs website, it's also offered in gold and pink. Where could I get it in gold?
ATT only offers black and white, Verizon gets the bronze one and not sure who gets the pink.

I have had every note and since day one they are incredible. The largest jmp was from the note 2 to note 3 but the 4 is still that much better than the 3. Aside from the 1440p screen the multitask button is fantastic on the 4.
I have guys at work that bought the iphone 6+ and the first day they saw the note 4 they were in shock at the screen. What stands the camera abouve all others is the image stabilization. Apple has had this for a few phones now but they dont couple it with 4k recording or a 16mp sensor.
You will nor regret it if you get one.
Note 1,2,3 and 4 for comparison
Although it does have quite the att bloatware all of it can be disabled and hidden from the app drawer. Like they are not even there.
Attached Images

Last edited by kawasaki00; 10-22-2014 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #19
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
It has the rapid charge mine charges from 0 to 50% in 30 minutes, the rest of the battery is about normal charge mode.

ATT only offers black and white, Verizon gets the bronze one and not sure who gets the pink.

I have had every note and since day one they are incredible. The largest jmp was from the note 2 to note 3 but the 4 is still that much better than the 3. Aside from the 1440p screen the multitask button is fantastic on the 4.
I have guys at work that bought the iphone 6+ and the first day they saw the note 4 they were in shock at the screen. What stands the camera abouve all others is the image stabilization. Apple has had this for a few phones now but they dont couple it with 4k recording or a 16mp sensor.
Although it does have quite the att bloatware all of it can be disabled and hidden from the app drawer. Like they are not even there.
thanks for the reply. good to hear from someone that actually has had all of them.

if i don't get the nexus 6 i'm getting the note 4... do you notice a big difference between the 3 and 4? i'm debating if it's worth it to switch sooner than later.
      10-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #20
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
thanks for the reply. good to hear from someone that actually has had all of them.

if i don't get the nexus 6 i'm getting the note 4... do you notice a big difference between the 3 and 4? i'm debating if it's worth it to switch sooner than later.
The 1080 to 1440 screen is not drastic but it is better. The biggest difference is the battery life and performance. The snapdragon 805 in the note 4 is not only faster but also more efficient. The milled aluminum border is a very nice touch although just for looks. The newest version of touch wiz is much improved and cleaned up. If you are a user of the stylus, I dont use it alot but have used it for jotting notes and or writing on pictures that were taken then the 4 is superior to the 3. This and the multitasking alone are wrth it. You can actually have many tabs open with different sizes on the screen at the same time just like tabs in internet explorer and easily jump from program to program without hitting the back key or closing it.

Dont fall into the trap of always waiting for the better one to come out. All you are doing is not enjoying the technology that is available.
One last thing, if you are into hacking and the sort the nexus will be better because the bootloader will not be locked. They will find root for the note 4 it will just take a few weeks. The note4 just like all the newer phones have encrypted bootloaders that do not allow custom roms to be installed. As time goes on the hardware has gotten good now where there is not a need for all that though. The note 3 was the first phone that I had where I didnt run custom roms because it did everything fast and well enough.
      10-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #21
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I don't own the Note 4 so I am unable to speak to it's merits from a day to day stand point . However, being in the wirelss industry I can honestly say that many of the comments above are true. The Note 4 is amazing. Spec for spec it just blows the iPhone 6+ away, at least on paper. From a subjective standpoint there was a great blind survey done recently and the Note 4 camera walked all over the iPhone. Something like 40% of the 6000 surveyed chose the Note 4 pictures as being the better picture.

The S Pen is also much better than in previous models. I had the Note 2 and hated the S Pen but Samsung has really developed the software and made it truly useable.

Contruction is terrific. The metal frame gives it a premium feel and the plastic back doesn't detract from it, at least not in my opinion. Besides, that plastic back allows for the changable battery and upgradeable memory.

As for bloatware... well that's a Samsung thing. Not really a fault of Android. I have an S4 still because I am waiting to see the Note Edge before upgrading. As mentioned above, you can remove bloatware by jailbreaking but I have found that simply disabling the majority of apps does the trick quite effectively... and it helped my battery life and processor speed.

And of course there are all the other benefits to Android... inovation... not being limited to one companys products, customization, etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post

Thanks for the response! Another question: how is supply/availability? I know it's impossible to find Iphone 6+ anywhere and I'm bored with IOS, so will I run into supply issues with the Note 4 as well? I thought it would be ALOT easier to find since it doesn't get as much marketing/attention by the biased media.
Appreciate 0