ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

powder coated Ultimate Pedals installed

I sprung for the pedals and found a local shop to Powder Coat them in flat black. The rest of the car is triple black and the natural aluminum color was too "bright" for my taste. Overall very pleased... heel and toe [side-to-side?] is much easier.

FYI this is a Mason Engineering clutch pedal [E46M3 model] which provides a much more positive feel and a very short ~4" throw. It sits deeper in the footwell, so it looks smaller in the photos. The pedals are identical.

Here are the pics:

Some install tips I begged from others:
  • Pre-paint screws if desired, they can dry while you drill the holes.
  • Mark holes in advance with a white grease pencil, silver paint marker or similar [ i covered the underlying pedal with blue painters tape for drilling]
  • Accel and footrest pedals screw down on top of the existing plastic gas/footrest, using qty-4 ea. medium diameter sheet metal screws. Easy.
  • Brake and Clutch must be drilled out, different diameter bolts with nuts & washers. Make these holes over-sized for fine position adjustments. These are tough steel, recommend pre-drilling with small diameter high-grade bit first [or dremel]. 4x bolts each provided.
  • Note the diameter of the bolts requires a larger a hole than the threaded screws above---So Do NOT pre-drill everything with the same bit, or the threads won't grab.
  • Put down a newspaper or a rag in the footwell to catch the many shards of steel from the drilling. Do NOT jam these into your fingers. A magnet cleans these up nicely too.

Last edited by blender; 02-07-2010 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: details
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

looks awesome. do you have black wheels?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

They do look good, although I don't know how durable the powder coating will be. Keep us informed. Thanks
      02-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Where did you purchase the pedals from ? Would like to look into getting a set, a much needed upgrade in the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
FYI this is a Mason Engineering clutch pedal [E46M3 model] which provides a much more positive feel and a very short ~4" throw. It sits deeper in the footwell, so it looks smaller in the photos. The pedals are identical.
I assume they relocated the pivot point and would expect a slightly heavier (good thing) and faster (shorter as noted) engagement. Any problems with the clutch-in disconnect switch for the starter?
      02-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Ultimate Pedals website link

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
Where did you purchase the pedals from ? Would like to look into getting a set, a much needed upgrade in the coupe.
---------------------------
http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalog/index.php
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Re: clutch pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
I assume they relocated the pivot point and would expect a slightly heavier (good thing) and faster (shorter as noted) engagement. Any problems with the clutch-in disconnect switch for the starter?
---------------------------------
Correct. No problems with starter, you just have to *fully* depress the clutch to get it to light up. I have a replacement left knee and this pedal makes driving a standard transmission pain-free & enjoyable. Factory clutch pedal felt "wobbly" and required a high lift to cover the clutch. The Mason is worlds better.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
---------------------------------
Correct. No problems with starter, you just have to *fully* depress the clutch to get it to light up. I have a replacement left knee and this pedal makes driving a standard transmission pain-free & enjoyable. Factory clutch pedal felt "wobbly" and required a high lift to cover the clutch. The Mason is worlds better.
Thanks for the info, This is something I need to look into. Any difficulties swapping over?
      02-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Mason Engineering clutch

No fitment problems. Here is the Mason E46 Clutch pedal, which sits about 4" deeper in the foot-well.
Attachment 347815

and a link to the website. John is a real pro. I suggest emailing him about the clutch from the website.

good luck.

RC.

Last edited by blender; 11-21-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Update - Eleven months later, still looking good.

Update - to show the durability after ~15K spirited miles.

The pedals still look very good, got a bit of wear on the edges of the brake & clutch pedal. I suppose I could paint that over if I really wanted them to look prisitine. But I want people to see I drive this beast

low-res iphone picture, but you get the idea.

Attachment 474887

Last edited by blender; 11-21-2012 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

probably time to clean them
      01-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #12
Samjam927
The One And Only
Rep
Drives: 2006 TiAg ///M Roadster