E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rusty Wheels!!

View Poll Results: BMW UK should sort out the rusty wheel hub problem for E9x owners
YES they should! 120 96.77%
No 4 3.23%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

02-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #243
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Take the nuts off, spray some WD40 on the hub, so the 40 gets between the wheel and hub (cup of tea/coffee of preferably a JD), jack the car up, and then gently lower it,this should break the wheel away from the rusted hub.

If that does not work, a sharp whack on the back of the wheel (with a rubber mallet) should shift it.
Thanks

I'll def try that approach at the weekend.

Called at the dealer today and got hold of the service manager. Very helpful but tried to tell me that it was the salt on our roads!

Backed off when I said it was b*llocks and eventually admitted that they were well aware of the problems and personally he had attended rescue callouts and been embarrassed "on more than one occassion" when they couldn't remove a wheel at the roadside.

Confirmed BMW aren't interested despite pleas from the dealerships to at least factory grease the hubs to stop sticking and wouldn't accept warranty issues.

He offered to clean the hubs as goodwill if I booked the car in which I declined (60 mile round trip) as that wouldn't solve the problem - so will do it properly myself.

I checked the forecourt and loads of similar rust evident.

Ah - well...............................

SO-Yank

Can get dead blow hammers in uk - I'll try to remember where I've seen them but probably just need a builders 2 or 4lb club hammer and a block of wood.
      02-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #244
lons
Lons
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
If you use a rubber mallet it will just bounce without giving full impact. Get yourself a deadblow hammer. These are hollow and the core is filled with steel shot. It doesn't bounce and transfers almost all of the impact to the wheel. Works a treat. I'll bring mine to UK7 if anyone is planning to do their hubs.
Dead blow hammers

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item...oogle/sn/69773

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...mers-22790.htm

http://www.toolfastdirect.co.uk/acat...w_Hammers.html

Loads more if you google it
      02-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #245
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I already have a Draper DB hammer. I was stating that is a useful tool to have for removing the wheels. I'll bring it to UK7 next weekend.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #246
lons
Lons
England
Rep

Quote:
I already have a Draper DB hammer. I was stating that is a useful tool to have for removing the wheels. I'll bring it to UK7 next weekend.
Thanks for the advice.
I can't be at the meet but I might buy one as they aren't expensive.

Just posted the links in case anyone else was interested
      05-11-2009, 03:35 AM   #247
oscarguitar
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d SE Black

Hi. I've been checking this thread out for a bit now. I finally took the plunge and did the hubs on my X5 which were in a pretty poor state. (Not as bad as the 335 which is 2 years younger.) I used the Hammerite Silver Smooth after wire brushing and sanding off. Took the opportunity to clean out the inside of the wheels with Wonder Wheels as well. Result is pretty good and much better than before. I'll post some pics later. Now I just need to get round to doing the 335, which is more difficult since it doesn't have a jack! Luckily the X5 one has the same top, but is hard to use as the 335 is so low that the jack is still spread right out.

One thing tho, I didn't need a dead blow hammer, the back of a long handled axe worked a treat for beating the wheels off!

Oscar

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #248
oscarguitar
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d SE Black

Hi, thought I'd post some pics of the X5 wheels that I have had a go at before I fix the 335d.
Picture of the rusty culprit (This is 335d not the X - forgot to do a before and after!)
Name:  335 Rusty Hub2 25%.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  90.9 KB

and then two that I have done.
Name:  X5 Wheel 2 25%.jpg
Views: 1761
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  X5 Wheel 25%.jpg
Views: 2861
Size:  122.3 KB

On reflection my preparation could have been better but that is why I tried it out on the X first! Still much better that before. Thanks for the advice on here.

Oscar

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #249
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
This wheel/hub corrosion isn't just affecting BMW vehicles - it is an industry-wide problem.

Any decent service-workshop will clean and lubricate the hub mounting flanges at service time - but the trouble is, with large open alloy wheels, the brake linings etc can easily be seen without removing the wheels - adding to the problems.

I think I'll do the hub painting exercise next weekend, looks really smart.
      05-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #250
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
I use a weak TFR when cleaning the wheels with lots of water. No acid!!!
That's exactly what I use, never fails and isn't too harsh.
      05-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #251
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just done my disc bells - which were quite rusty seeing as though they are newish BME brake discs!

Before

and after.....

Would have loved to have done the calipers in a light gold like MattinOz did, but it was simply too hot out there today (Well that's my excuse!)

Going to get some new wheel centre trims - these are a bit corroded.
      05-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #252
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That looks great, Doc. How long did it take? What paint did you use?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #253
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Took about an hour....tools needed were a 17mm socket & breaker bar, jack, wire brush and screwdriver.

Hammerite smooth was what I used; the smallest pot would have done the job - the middle sized pot I got would do about 20 cars!!!
      05-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #254
mark@vorny.co.uk
Rep
Drives: E93 335i SE

Did my hubs and calipers for a second time today on my e93.

Cleaned rust off with wire brush attachment to drill, and similar attachment on a dremel for the fiddly bits. 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of high temp satin silver. Great end result.

Same problem with sticking hubs as a few of you folks.I jack the car up, leave 3 bolts in, undo 2 turns and drop the jack very gently, that frees them a treat.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 12:28 AM   #255
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I would liked to have done my calipers at the same time but 'er indoors wanting to go to the garden centre/mothers/friends house* curtailed my "car time"

* delete as you see fit!
      06-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #256
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Did my rear hubs yesterday and the fronts today; front left still needs the second coat shortly. I used Hammerite Smooth spray and it was a b***h. Did you know the distance from the brake pad to the rotor is less than the thickness of masking tape? I ended up making a carboard mask so the rotors could be rotated to get all around the hub.

Also took the opportunity to clean the insides of all the wheels.

I might take a hack at painting the calipers next weekend, weather permitting. I'm thinking about black. Anyone have any advice on that other than not to paint the pads?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #257
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Did my rear hubs yesterday and the fronts today; front left still needs the second coat shortly. I used Hammerite Smooth spray and it was a b***h. Did you know the distance from the brake pad to the rotor is less than the thickness of masking tape? I ended up making a carboard mask so the rotors could be rotated to get all around the hub.

Also took the opportunity to clean the insides of all the wheels.

I might take a hack at painting the calipers next weekend, weather permitting. I'm thinking about black. Anyone have any advice on that other than not to paint the pads?
Oh Floyd, why did you do the fronts?! Or have you forgotten already ??!!

Yes, the spray is a bitch as the masking is a bit tedious. But the finish is excellent!

Don't paint the calipers yet - do it later on when you're down this way, if you know what I mean...!! And again, leave the fronts...?!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #258
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Spraying the hubs must be a right bitch! Painting with a decent brush with smoothrite silver gave an more than acceptable finish in about 10 mins tops.

Calipers? I'd mix a little silver & gold together to give that plated "new" look. Someone here did that and it looked the dogs.

Black calipers? No way! Silver or silver/gold every time.
      06-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #259
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Oh Floyd, why did you do the fronts?! Or have you forgotten already ??!!

Yes, the spray is a bitch as the masking is a bit tedious. But the finish is excellent!

Don't paint the calipers yet - do it later on when you're down this way, if you know what I mean...!! And again, leave the fronts...?!
No, I haven't forgotten. It's just that the backs looked so much better after the work that the fronts were embarrassing.
Appreciate 0