F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Google Map to Navigation system
Extreme Powerhouse

12-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
GentleWen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 35i

Google Map to Navigation system

for those who don't know yet:
one easy way to set destination on your navigation system is thru google map.

just one question here:
how does the car receive from google?
would it need to be connected to data connection ?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Yes, you need to have a SIM in the car.
      12-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
enojgreb
Rep
Drives: '09 120i M-Sport

Don't know about the data connection, but thanks a lot for the google tip!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
GentleWen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Yes, you need to have a SIM in the car.
?? a SIM in the car ??
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleWen View Post
?? a SIM in the car ??
Yes! How do you think the message gets to the car?

You also need it for the Internet browser.

Last edited by arnsbrae; 12-05-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
ouchie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I use my telephone number, use it all the time
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Ccrc2001
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i xDrive

when you fist got your car, (with navigation) you should have, if you haven't already done so, contacted BMW assist to set up your account. You will have to come up with a username and password. when you use google maps you can send it to the car by putting your BMW assist user name. Also if you have the "My BMW Remote" app for iPhone, (free download) you can also send and address from you iPhone to your car using the app and google maps within the App. It's a pretty nice feature I use it all the time. in both cases, when you get in the car, go to the office menu then messages, from there the info will be ready for route guidance, you just have to hit the iDrive button and you're ready to go. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

I just set it up with BMW assist when I got the car. I type in my username and it's sent straight to my idrive.
It's a sweet way to have someone else send you to a fav restaurant or what have you.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
you just need to put the email of the BMW assist that you registered with
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
G33K
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

That service is provided by BMW Assist. As for the data connection it uses the available cellular network (AMPS in the past, currently GSM) and the subscriber information is tied to the vehicle.
In a phone, the SIM card provides the subscriber information and is removable, however I doubt that the SIM in the bmw is removable and may just be part of the on board circuitry since it is tied to the specific vehicle and does not need to be interchangeable.

As has already been mentioned, this is only valid for the period that your BMW Assist subscription is valid, once that expires, this service also dies with it unless you start using the annual renewal. Oh and you should definitely try out the Apps for the smartphone for the same, iphone has it in the market, android also has it in the play store, however it never showed up on any of my devices so I assumed it was not compatible, but if you can get your hands on the apk and manually install it, it might work, it worked for me.
Oh and the best thing about the apps, remote locking/unlocking!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #11
Dovetonsils
Banned
Rep
Drives: nice

Also if you have the "My BMW Remote" app for iPhone, (free download) you can also send and address from you iPhone to your car using the app and google maps within the App. It's a pretty nice feature I use it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetonsils View Post
Also if you have the "My BMW Remote" app for iPhone, (free download) you can also send and address from you iPhone to your car using the app and google maps within the App. It's a pretty nice feature I use it all the time.
Agreed - I use the navigation a lot but I've only manually entered a destination inside the car a couple of times...

Also, when you "send to car" you automatically get the phone number of the destination included in the destination, so it's easy to find and dial hands free.
      12-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
GentleWen
Private
Rep

thanks!!
this is the answer i'm looking for.
I was interested in how the car receives general message/data

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33K View Post
That service is provided by BMW Assist. As for the data connection it uses the available cellular network (AMPS in the past, currently GSM) and the subscriber information is tied to the vehicle.
In a phone, the SIM card provides the subscriber information and is removable, however I doubt that the SIM in the bmw is removable and may just be part of the on board circuitry since it is tied to the specific vehicle and does not need to be interchangeable.

As has already been mentioned, this is only valid for the period that your BMW Assist subscription is valid, once that expires, this service also dies with it unless you start using the annual renewal. Oh and you should definitely try out the Apps for the smartphone for the same, iphone has it in the market, android also has it in the play store, however it never showed up on any of my devices so I assumed it was not compatible, but if you can get your hands on the apk and manually install it, it might work, it worked for me.
Oh and the best thing about the apps, remote locking/unlocking!!!
Appreciate 0