F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Spy Photos: BMW 3 Series GT Drops Some Camo
ARMA SPEED

02-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #45
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

I think I m going to like it better than f30 sedan because the headlights are higher.
      02-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #46
joe163
Rep
Drives: 335?S4?

people love GT cars in China, and 5 GT is considered somewhere near 7 series level of luxury, (not sportiness, luxury). i think those who buy these GT models dont care about the sport aspect, luxury+long rear leg room+BMW badge is what they want

it's gonna sell EXTREMELY well in China, a lot of ppl will buy it.

thinking about the BMW 3/4 series line up now:

F30 sedan
4 GC
3 GT

lol...lots of choices...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #47
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

Chevy Nova Hatchback (5 door). give me the 4 Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #48
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Burn It With Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traditional Wagons >>>>>>>>>>>>>> GT

Send the US some x35i wagons if you want to see sales increase!

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #49
Yurka
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, CLS55 AMG, E31 850i

BMW is just making too many damn weird vehicles now...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #50
Apolonios
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

So what's the difference between this and the 4 series GC??
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #51
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
With all the sales they're getting, I get the feeling BMW is just bringing new products just to see how they would fare and if it's deemed a failure, they're willing to accept it and move on. As for BMW answering a question no one has asked, I look at that as trying to stay ahead. Look at Apple and the iPad. How many editorials and columns did we read about how useless it would be if it was just a bigger iPhone? No one was really looking for a tablet but Apple makes one and now it's mainstream.

(Of course, it could just be BMW going crazy and there's no real reason to make these ugly GT's...)
Those i-something products were at least good looking.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #52
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Believe it or not the 5er GT has its market as a low volume production model as it was always intended to be. The 5er GT is due for its LCi soon and BMW will introduce it the 550d and 525d which will (in 525d) expand its options further in europe.

Most people fail to understand the appeal of the 5er GT , especially that it is car designed from the inside out and that shows in its very luxurious interior. Which is a very satisfying place to be in if you are ever in the rear. I was surprised on some trips around Europe that some hotels and establishments (Nothing to do with BMW) have the GT as a shuttle and limousine which is highly understandable. Because there is no other vehicle in its class that offers this level of luxury and refinement.

The comments about the GT are mainly specific - Because it is always mentioned that the car has not sold as well in the US whilst they ignore the markets the car is doing well in - mainly BRIC markets. In China , for example some see the GT as an even more exclusive 5er Li , besides one thing I do find disappointing is that there is a forum for the GT here @ Bimmerpost that shows that there is a customer base for this car , even in the US.
But again because of the "Specifics" they are drowned out by the negativity.

The 3er GT is based on the Chinese market 3er Li but with its modular chassis - a section has been removed to accomodate the GT and the 4er Gran Coupe. The 3er chassis is available in short-mid-extended wheelbase options. The 3er GT is a more euro-centric car and will be available with BMW's sublime four cylinder diesel and petrol engines aswell as six cylinders. The 3er GT aims to bring that level of exclusivity as seen on the 5er GT to the entry class.
Appearance wise it mixes the 3er and 5er GT , unfortunately the winter tyres make the car look heavy but it looks a lot better and in proportion on larger wheels. The 3er GT is also the first BMW model to be equipped with a pop-up rear spoiler.
Again like the 5er GT it is low volume but extremely profitable as the 5er GT.
U guys rather produce a low volume ugly ass GT that nobody buys but wont give me my Z4M? Come on man!!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #53
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
U guys rather produce a low volume ugly ass GT that nobody buys but wont give me my Z4M? Come on man!!

Yeah. We want Z4 M, M3 CSL, M6 CSL but instead we get these crappy looking GT cars. Why? because BMW thinks those cars mentioned above don't make enough profit but an ugly POS like 5GT does, which infact it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #54
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

doesn't make since to me to produce 3 GT
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #55
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

I don't get this one either. This car seems to offer exactly the same utility as an F31, but the F31 is entirely a more appealing car to my eyes.

I understand the X4 concept more than I understand this - the X4 might end up looking a little awkward too, but at least it has a different target customer than the 3 series (one who might buy the F32, but needs more clearance and a little more space; same argument they make with the X6 and 6 series), or the X3 (one who likes the small SUV concept but would trade some utility for some sporty appearance).

This car and the F31 seem to be targeted at the exact same customer. How could they have gotten a business case approved?
      02-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #56
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
2013 BMW 128i  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Great photos.

I am really trying to like it, but it still seems a bit awkward to me. Maybe my brain will have to get used to it, without the camo, when it goes on sale.
I think BMW would love a hit like the A/S7. If they could design a 3GT like that, they'll have a big win.
[url]http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #57
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
I think BMW would love a hit like the A/S7. If they could design a 3GT like that, they'll have a big win.
I think the A/S7 competitor is the 6er Gran Coupe. The 4-series Gran Coupe is probably the hole they want to fill. The 3er GT is just a weird one.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #58
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolonios View Post
So what's the difference between this and the 4 series GC??
- based on the F30 sedan design language (with some divergence, however) instead of F32 coupe
- hatchback instead of trunk (five door instead of four door)
- proper seating for five instead of "4 + 1"

Compare 6 series GC to 5 series GT to see how different you can expect the results to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #59
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The comments about the GT are mainly specific - Because it is always mentioned that the car has not sold as well in the US whilst they ignore the markets the car is doing well in - mainly BRIC markets. In China , for example some see the GT as an even more exclusive 5er Li , besides one thing I do find disappointing is that there is a forum for the GT here @ Bimmerpost that shows that there is a customer base for this car , even in the US.
But again because of the "Specifics" they are drowned out by the negativity.
Send them all to China. WE DON'T WANT THAT CRAP!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #60
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

I think this has been explained before but I'll go for it one more time. I was one of the first stateside to drive in a prototype and I have seen all the info there is so I am not just spewing....

The 5 GT is hitting its targets. The GT models do not specifically target Americans. The 5 GT model was designed and built for an aging population or those that desire certain attributes. They want a car and not an SAV, they like the easy entry and the better visibility the added ride height affords them as well as the adjustability- comfort to sport.

BMW has a physiology lab that has done extensive research into the best entry and exit angles; least load on the hips, back etc. The ride height and seat position of the GT models is the closest to this as possible. It is fascinating to see how they mock these things up and take all the photos.

The aging population in Germany in particular (largest intended market for such car) is wealthier and more active than past generations. Many studies have been done as to what this population seeks in a car and the GT models fill those needs.

The GT models are also beneficial for people to be driven in, for shuttles and for executive transport- they are comfortable, luxurious, spacious and easy to get into and out of (if you attend fashion events you see them). They also are more premium than a 5. There is also an increased number being used for car hire replacing Town Cars (stateside).

The 3 GT will be much more sporty and also target a new customer..... The Active Family. The A7 competitor is the 6GC and there will be a 4GC as well.
      02-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #61
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I would also like to add that nine out of ten customers for the BMW 5er Gran Turismo are new to the BMW brand. Which was one of the vehicles intentions - To introduce a new type of customer to BMW.

My wife has a 530d GT and she loves it and having driven the same quantities of BMW's I have driven she finds the driving position the most perfect solution for her. Her friends love the cars accessibility , flexibility and exclusivity and my kids love it too.

I am surprised that the car has not done as well in the US. Especially when it combines the attributes of a wagon in a sleeker more exclusive concept.
The people @ bimmerpost seem to love their GT's.
But they had to do something, the Premium wagon market was collapsing and still continues to do so in favour of SUV's.
      02-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #62
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Honestly i would love to own and to have a 5GT
but 3GT ?? do not compute...

3 Series - everyone can get some love
3 Series Touring- Active Family - Dad still a driver enthusiast - Mom prefer the lower ride - Modern Traditional Cool Soccer Mom Station Wagon.
X3 - Modern SUV Soccer mom who could not afford the X5
3 GT - GrandPa GrandMa who occasionally need to haul the grand kids.

5 Series - execs and Milf and the next best thing after the 3 series, people who have graduated from the 3 series
5 Series Touring - Cool Active Family who are open to wagon and who do not see the bad stigma that is sadly still associated with the "traditional Station wagon"
5 GT - a short limousine riding high I love it personally, and would love to own it!
X5 - Soccer Wives and Arrived Soccer Moms
X6 - Very active young rich small family! or Cool Dudes

6 Series GC - High class luxury who do not want to be seen in an "old's person" 7 series
people who would consider the x6 but it just too out-there for them, the 6 GC offer the exclusivity and yet the "traditional 4 door" look, in a much much cooler and desirable sexy way

4 series GC - for those people who could not afford the 6 GC

i hope this clarifies a bit the market BMW is trying aim for with each model...
you are more than welcome to modify and amend to it...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #63
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

3 Series Touring- Active Family - Dad still a driver enthusiast - Mom prefer the lower ride - Modern Traditional Cool Soccer Mom Station Wagon.

5 Series - execs and Milf and the next best thing after the 3 series, people who have graduated from the 3 series
5 Series Touring - Cool Active Family who are open to wagon and who do not see the bad stigma that is sadly still associated with the "traditional Station wagon"
5 GT - a short limousine riding high I love it personally, and would love to own it!

6 Series GC - High class luxury who do not want to be seen in an "old's person" 7 series
people who would consider the x6 but it just too out-there for them, the 6 GC offer the exclusivity and yet the "traditional 4 door" look, in a much much cooler and desirable sexy way

HAHAHA love it, soo tru
      02-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #64
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
A stigma is what you make it. Personally... I see no such stigma in a nice looking wagon. However, I DO see a stigma with all the fat-assed SUVs and mini-vans that choke parking lots everywhere. Things like the X3, look like they are wearing a loaded diaper. Every DAMN thing looks like a mini van and I'm sick of it!!! LOL

A nice, low-slung wagon does NOT look like a minivan. And I can haul my gear when I need to...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #65
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post

Yeah. We want Z4 M, M3 CSL, M6 CSL but instead we get these crappy looking GT cars. Why? because BMW thinks those cars mentioned above don't make enough profit but an ugly POS like 5GT does, which infact it doesn't.
The 5GT is not a POS, it does bring profit to BMW... in China, just not in the US unfortunately.

I would love to own that 5GT if i had the means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernHero View Post
A stigma is what you make it. Personally... I see no such stigma in a nice looking wagon. However, I DO see a stigma with all the fat-assed SUVs and mini-vans that choke parking lots everywhere. Things like the X3, look like they are wearing a loaded diaper. Every DAMN thing looks like a mini van and I'm sick of it!!! LOL

A nice, low-slung wagon does NOT look like a minivan. And I can haul my gear when I need to...
I am sorry that you misunderstood me, but i dont make that stigma...
i am trying to undo the stigma...
I am pro wagon and anti SUV myself... just like you...

I just find it unfortunate that people are dis-missing the wagon in favor of the false sense of security that is brought by the elevated ride of SUV...

I would prefer a low car that can avoid accident over the higher center of gravity of the SUV...

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 02-24-2012 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #66
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Quote:

Out of these models I don't like and don't understand the purpose of 3GT, 5GT, X6, 6er GC and the future 4er GC.
Appreciate 0