F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > *OFFICIAL* general photography conversation thread
ARMA SPEED

10-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #3939
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Maybe it's another case of they want to announce it so people buy more 5D3s for the holiday season, but they will take their time to work on the firmware.
      10-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #3940
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
This is my plan. The 5D MkIIs are showing up in very affordable sales promotions now, but I don't think I'd make efficient use of two bodies. I've barely touched my T1i since I got the 7D. I can't see myself deciding which body to haul around on a given day. If I had the discretionary funds to buy a 5D MkII now, I'd have my 7D on the market to raise the extra to get the MkIII.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...D_Mark_II.html

1699$!

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #3941
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Mark, having used and owned all the cameras you're taking about, my experiences are that when I had the 5DmkII I found that the quality of the 7D was a little better for picture quality, but it failed on the high ISO stuff when compared. So for outdoor shooting/walk around, I tended to use the 7D more unless I wanted really wide shots, then I would pull out the 5DmkII.

If you're shooting everything inside and without flash, the 5DmkII wins for me, but again, if the flashes come out, the 7D becomes a big player because of all the flash control and such.

once I picked up my 7D, my 5DmkII really just became a 2 trick pony. High ISO, and the wide angle full frame ability. I could have lived without it, though I loved it and loved shooting it.

But now that I have the 5DmkIII I wouldn't even think twice about picking up any other camera any time really unless I was trying to get the extra crop from having a crop sensor for shooting wildlife. But even then, the quality on the MKIII is so much better then the old camera, I can crop 100% and not loose much quality at all. I wouldn't do that with my MKII.

I find the colours on the MKIII much more on par with the 7D and MKIII as well where the MKII is lagging behind.

so my advice is maybe to stick with the 7D for a while more before looking and maybe pick up a used MKIII in a year or two once the prices fall. And after you sell your T1i to help bring up the bank to get the better camera

Just my thoughts, don't know if others will agree or not who have shot both.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #3942
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
[rant]
I got a serious gripe about photo stores around here. There's two big franchises that pretty much own the whole market to themselves. And on the top of it, their website is SO similar, I wouldnt even be surprises if they're owned by the same owner. Very similar website, they never got a store from one franchise close to a store of the other one; you can clearly see the pattern since some of those malls are big enough to get one of each futureshop, bestbuy, The Source and some other random electronics stores or franchises; but NEVER two photo stores.

Before I continue, I must say that from what I see, there's a LOT more Nikon users that Canon users around here. For example, on my last photo walk to the Montmorency falls, I saw 6 or 7 nikons and not a single Canon. Yet, Canon shooters are usually a lot more serious into photography, but on the numbers, Nikon is the big winner around here.

Now back to the shops. They had a conflict years ago with Nikon. They're very shady and evasive when it comes to discussing Nikon products and they just CANT talk about them without bashing them. Sounds like they think that the customer will automatically switch to Canon if they behave the way they do. In my case, its just chasing me away and I always end up buying on internet because they dont have what I want and if they do, its on the high side price-wise. I dont mind overpaying a bit and help with the local business, but when you know they have that kind of thinking about Nikon; its a no-go most of the time.

On the top of it, this weekend is the digital photography festival and the said shop if the promoter. Guess what, Nikon's not invited but everybody else is: Canon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, even Panasonic!

Luckily for some of us, the big not-specialized stores like BestBuy or FutureShop got the whole array of Nikon stuff, but I really dont like those stores because of a personnal conflict in the past. I shop there when I want something NOW, but I would prefer to support a photo store before shopping at those stores where they spend more time talking about their extended warranty plan then the actual product they try to sell you, but dont know jack-sh*t about it.

I envy some of you guys that can just go out, rent a lens; and then decide if its good enough to buy it. That's barely an option around here. They have a very limited number of lenses for rent and, you guessed it right, they're mostly Canon's.

[/rant]

Thanks for reading. I feel lighter already

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #3943
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
If you're shooting everything inside and without flash, the 5DmkII wins for me, but again, if the flashes come out, the 7D becomes a big player because of all the flash control and such.
I'm confused about this statement Reed. You have as much flash control on the 5D2 as you do with the 7D... or am I missing something here?

In regards to the 5D3, I agree with Reed's comments. Honestly, If you're fine with owning a single body, it's overall better than both the 7D and 5D2 combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
[rant]
[/rant]

Thanks for reading. I feel lighter already
I think you need to switch to L lenses for some love.

In regards to your rant, we have a really good pro shop in town. They carry everything from 1D Xs to Leicas, Hassys, etc. I like to go in there to shop, but honestly, their customer service is lacking. Many are rude unless you buy from them, tax sucks, etc. I've found purchasing at B&H and Adorama to be a much better experience.

It's a shame you are in Canada and your options are limited, at best. I believe that Craig (the owner of Canon Rumors) is from Canada as well, so it can't hurt to send him a quick email and ask him where he recommends to buy and rent gear.
      10-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #3944
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

When I want to look at a camera or lens, I need to drive 2 hours to Indy or 3 hours to Chicago to find a camera store that has more than just the basic kit lenses. Count your blessings.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #3945
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
Mark, having used and owned all the cameras you're taking about, my experiences are that when I had the 5DmkII I found that the quality of the 7D was a little better for picture quality, but it failed on the high ISO stuff when compared. So for outdoor shooting/walk around, I tended to use the 7D more unless I wanted really wide shots, then I would pull out the 5DmkII.

once I picked up my 7D, my 5DmkII really just became a 2 trick pony. High ISO, and the wide angle full frame ability. I could have lived without it, though I loved it and loved shooting it.

But now that I have the 5DmkIII I wouldn't even think twice about picking up any other camera any time really unless I was trying to get the extra crop from having a crop sensor for shooting wildlife. But even then, the quality on the MKIII is so much better then the old camera, I can crop 100% and not loose much quality at all. I wouldn't do that with my MKII.

I find the colours on the MKIII much more on par with the 7D and MKIII as well where the MKII is lagging behind.

so my advice is maybe to stick with the 7D for a while more before looking and maybe pick up a used MKIII in a year or two once the prices fall. And after you sell your T1i to help bring up the bank to get the better camera

Just my thoughts, don't know if others will agree or not who have shot both.
That's my plan. A 5D MkIII is in my future. Just can't see making good use of two bodies.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #3946
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just for you, Mark, if you're interested. I'd make your decision quickly, and explain it to the wifey later.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III - Body only for $2900 shipped!

Btw, they are an authorized Canon reseller.
      10-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #3947
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I'm confused about this statement Reed. You have as much flash control on the 5D2 as you do with the 7D... or am I missing something here?
7D has master control of slave flashes through the built in flash. Its still only optical/IR and line of sight with short range, but you dont have to have a dedicated master controller or extra flash to do so.
      10-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #3948
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
7D has master control of slave flashes through the built in flash. Its still only optical/IR and line of sight with short range, but you dont have to have a dedicated master controller or extra flash to do so.
Ahh, thanks. I didn't know that, since I haven't used a 7D before. That being said, it's nothing that a simple (and cheap) Cybersync transmitter and receiver can't fix.
      10-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #3949
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just for you, Mark, if you're interested. I'd make your decision quickly, and explain it to the wifey later.

Saw that. We're still absorbing the cost of the UK trip, so no spending for me until after the holidays.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #3950
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think you need to switch to L lenses for some love.

In regards to your rant, we have a really good pro shop in town. They carry everything from 1D Xs to Leicas, Hassys, etc. I like to go in there to shop, but honestly, their customer service is lacking. Many are rude unless you buy from them, tax sucks, etc. I've found purchasing at B&H and Adorama to be a much better experience.

It's a shame you are in Canada and your options are limited, at best. I believe that Craig (the owner of Canon Rumors) is from Canada as well, so it can't hurt to send him a quick email and ask him where he recommends to buy and rent gear.
Its not Canada in general since Ontario got a lot of Henry's stores which pretty much have it all. As a matter of fact, i'm going there for the weekend, but dont think I'll be shopping much. Family-related event with the War museum and Civilization museum on the menu

It wasnt a problem at all when I was dealing with Nikon Canada directly. The rebate was so worth it, it was a no brainer. It was easy to get (at least) your money back when you sell your stuff a year or so after.

Now that our deal with Nikon is terminated, that became a problem. I might seriously consider Canon for my next body. But now that I got the full Nikon arsenal of lenses; I dont think I will switch for the next couple of years.

Not that I think that I would lose that much, but i'm in love with my D800 and dont feel like changing something that already works for me.

Besides, shopping with B&H is very smooth and they got a kickass customer service. Adorama is less attractive for me since they ship UPS and UPS are very greedy when it comes to imports. They charge a stupid brokerage fee that is often higher then the taxes billed by the government. B&H ships through purolator and its cheap and they dont make additionnal money on our backs.

I still can get what I want, but you always have to think about reselling value in case you dont like what you bought. In my case, I buy then I try. Always a gamble supported by online reviews and such.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #3951
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
I guess I was wrong... 5D3 firmware update just got the f/8 AF fix and clean HDMI out. With all these bonus firmware options, it's getting to be an awesome camera now.
Holy Crap! I left town on business and come back to this great news. Time to order my 2X TC III.
      10-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #3952
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:

Nice
      10-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #3953
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
In regards to the 5D3, I agree with Reed's comments. Honestly, If you're fine with owning a single body, it's overall better than both the 7D and 5D2 combined.

Agreed.

I've owned all three.
      10-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #3954
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
About the 5D MkIII firmware update:
The new firmware update will be available, at no charge, in April 2013 from the Canon U.S.A. website and can be downloaded by end users or through Canon Factory Service Centers.
Holy Crap again. Now I'm pissed.

Making us wait six-months for a firmware update is crazy. Hopefully that's an ultra conservative estimate.

Dave
      10-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #3955
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:

Have you guys seen this yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D...ht_3479wt_1397

$2800 with free shipping. Auction ended this morning but I'm sure it'll crop up again.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #3956
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

If you were planning on buying some Canon gear very soon, you may want to jump now before prices go up tomorrow.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #3957
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Can anybody elaborate on Nikon D3200??
I'm looking to buy a DSLR and that one caught my eye since I don't want to spend too much money. Any help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #3958
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

depends on if you're going to be shooting it with the kit lens or not.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #3959
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Too much Photoshopping is a bad thing, I guess.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #3960
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I'd be curious to know where he went over the line. A lot of what I see there looks like it could have been done with Contrast, Color Filters and Light Levels, which are generally allowed in nature competitions. (No cloning out, no adding in are the usual limitations.

Dave