F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Launches National Campaign Against Distracted Driving
proTUNING Freaks

06-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
BMW Launches National Campaign Against Distracted Driving

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Launches National Campaign Against Distracted Driving
COMMENTS

"Don’t Text and Drive" Advertisements to Begin Appearing in June

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – June 1, 2011 BMW of North America today announced a national campaign comprised of television, print, online and radio advertising and a strong in-dealership message, all timed for the summer season and designed to raise awareness of the dangers of distracted driving. The campaign, themed “DON’T TXT & DRIVE - When the Engine Starts the Texting Stops,” begins in early June and runs throughout the year.

"Distracted driving is an epidemic in America, and it has deadly consequences for thousands of people on our roads each year," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "Putting a stop to these needless deaths, as well as hundreds of thousands of injuries, will require everyone to take personal responsibility for safe driving. I am grateful to BMW for their efforts to raise public awareness about distracted driving and for urging drivers to put down their phones and focus on the road. I hope that other automakers will follow their lead.”

Television creative illustrates the contradiction between being an overprotective parent and the carelessness of texting while driving. The spot juxtaposes imagery of an overly cautious father bathing his son with the added protection of water wings and goggles, and a mother obsessively putting hand sanitizer on her child’s hands; with the final scene pointing out how all of that can be undone in a second as a mother picks up her phone when a text message is received while her child is strapped into a car seat behind her. It closes with a scene of another car racing toward them before the mother looks up and realizes what is about to happen. The screen cuts to black and displays the tagline, “Your Family’s Safety is in Your Hands. When the Engine Starts, The Texting Stops.”

“Distracted driving of any kind, especially texting while driving, is an extremely dangerous activity that costs thousands of lives every year,” said Jim O’Donnell, CEO, BMW of North America. “We developed this campaign to be impactful in hopes of evoking emotion and conveying the serious dangers of distracted driving and its potential consequences.”

Variations of print advertisements feature views of the road from distracted drivers’ perspective. In one, a texting driver’s view of a young child running onto the street is obstructed by their smartphone. The only evidence of the child’s presence is the outline of his shape and the ball he is chasing appearing on the phone as if the phone wasn’t hiding him from view. Others obscure a deer in the road and truck turning in from a side street, suggesting the preoccupied driver is about to crash.

In online advertisements, the words “TEXT MESSAGING IS VERY DISTRACTING” appear in bold, block letters across the homepage of websites making it difficult to read and demonstrating how texting while driving interferes with a driver’s field of vision.

At the BMW Performance Center in Spartanburg, South Carolina, the company’s Teen Driving School has trained more than 3,000 young drivers over the last 10 years to help them safely and properly handle their vehicles. The program continues this year.

The DON’T TXT & DRIVE message will be incorporated in more than 100 teen driving schools conducted across the United States this year by the BMW Car Club of America Foundation.

BMW dealerships will feature printed materials, hangtags and static cling decals for display in vehicles and showrooms throughout the summer.

In December of 2010, as part of his initiative to meet with auto manufacturers on the subject of distracted driving, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood met with BMW of North America CEO Jim O’Donnell to discuss actions both organizations were taking. BMW was already active promoting Don’t Text and Drive through its Teen Driving School, and was inspired to develop more comprehensive actions, including the advertising campaign.

U.S. Department of Transportation statistics show nearly 5.500 people died in crashes in 2009 involving a distracted driver, while the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found 87 percent of teen drivers admit to texting while behind the wheel. These statistics provided BMW with ample motivation to get behind this cause and develop the actions the company is now announcing.

As a leader in technology, BMW continues to use research and innovation to develop systems that enhance safety and convenience while further eliminating distraction.
For example, the company uses a method called pupilometry to define the movement of one’s eye between information inside the vehicle and the car controls. This helps defines the placement of information to allow maximum attention on the road and the ability to monitor systems.

06-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
awesome. we need a champion for this cause - I'm fine with it being BMW

edit: I am proud that it is BMW

Last edited by antzcrashing; 06-02-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

It is a great thing that BMW is spending their money on this. It is astounding that anyone could think that they could text without eventually running their car into something.
      06-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
It is a great thing that BMW is spending their money on this. It is astounding that anyone could think that they could text without eventually running their car into something.
+1 when I see someone texting and driving I feel the future is doomed
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

not that ConnectedDrive/BMWApps/idrive is any better...

Last edited by pokerface; 06-02-2011 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
GJR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 530i

Before iDrive, I could definitely see BMW championing this cause. Now, with all the distractions built in to newer BMWs, this campaign is utter hypocrisy.
      06-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
LaMpiR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
not that ConnectedDrive/BMWApps is any better...
Can ConnectedDrive be used while driving?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

so putting facebook and twitter in the car wont cause distractions? right

-Posted from my BMW
      06-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR View Post
Before iDrive, I could definitely see BMW championing this cause. Now, with all the distractions built in to newer BMWs, this campaign is utter hypocrisy.
BS. Sure there were less widgets before, but they are integrated in a way that is very easy to use. Besides, anyone who uses anything distracting while driving is making a mistake, whether it's playing with your phone or changing the song on bmw apps.

+2 for proud of BMW for doing this.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
which you guys would make the font bigger
hard to rear all this on my iphone while drivin...
      06-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiernan36 View Post

-Posted from my BMW
I'm fairly sure that you can only use facebook and twitter while parked - similar to the way in-car video screens typicall only allow movie viewing when parked (or if in the back seat)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

That almost happened to me 2 days ago. Just driving along, and some lady just blew through a stop sign and nearly t-boned me. My heart skipped a beat as I watched her skid to a stop a foot from my drivers door.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
AKA "Learn how to drive standard".

But seriously, txting and driving is a huge problem.

Remember when people were going crazy over people talking on the phone and driving!? Those were the good 'ol days when you concentration only decreased 50%.
      06-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Maybe BMW can link this to the blutooth systems and disallow texting while the phone is connected and car in motion.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
Maybe BMW can link this to the blutooth systems and disallow texting while the phone is connected and car in motion.
Unfortunately this will be the only solution. Americans are "Entitled" to do whatever they want, regardless of consequences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Unfortunately this will be the only solution. Americans are "Entitled" to do whatever they want, regardless of consequences...
Thats why I love this country...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
cheeunit890
Rep
Drives: none

My girlfriend used to get mad at me when I didn't text her back while driving long distances. After she ended up seeing a friend get in a bad accident from texting + driving, she doesn't give me crap about it anymore. Even if some may view this as a hypocritical campaign, I'm glad there's more attention on this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #18
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I cant text and drive. I have a manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #19
epr73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiernan36 View Post

-Posted from my BMW
this made me lol. New bmws have too much going on.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #20
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
I cant text and drive. I have a manual.
Plus a billion
      06-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #21
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Thumbs up
      06-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #22
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Started off great... not so much at the end. I wish they would had tied it into some safety feature on the car.

Not sure how this has any relevancy to BMW's??? Why is it their responsibility to spend huge marketing money on a "No txting nd driving" campaign?

If your argument is brand image, shouldn't they be using this cash towards that elusive r8 competitor to we have been praying and wishing for?
Appreciate 0