F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > 2013 Baseball Season
GetBMWParts

04-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #23
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
You mean that was when they were on roids! lol

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
You mean that was when they were on roids! lol
everyone was - those were the glory years of baseball.

now you have boring perfect games every year, as opposed to two people going for 60+ home run races...

baseball from 1995-2004 was the best era - ever.....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
I think it's more fair to the pitchers. I mean, pop fly became homeruns back then, I think that's unfair for the pitchers. Sure, it was exciting to watch for us but makes it look like pitchers have no place in the league. IMO.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #26
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
I think it's more fair to the pitchers. I mean, pop fly became homeruns back then, I think that's unfair for the pitchers. Sure, it was exciting to watch for us but makes it look like pitchers have no place in the league. IMO.
but there were also upper 30 and 40 year old pithers making great hitters look awful.

hitters weren't the only ones juicing.....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #27
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...1190--mlb.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo Sports
The 2013 Houston Astros: already making history

It hasn't taken long for the 2013 version of the Houston Astros to make it into baseball's history book. And as you'd expect, not in a good way.

After being on the wrong side of Yu Darvish's near-perfect game on Tuesday, then being shut out again on Wednesday — this time 4-0 by Alexi Ogando and the Texas Rangers — the Astros have set a record for most strikeouts in a three-game series to start a season. And they don't even have Mark Reynolds on their roster!

The Astros K'd 43 times against the Rangers. That's 13 on Sunday (a game Houston won) and 15 on both Tuesday and Wednesday. Through three games, here are the Astros' individual strike-out leaders: Brett Wallace (8), Chris Carter (7), Carlos Pena (6), Rick Ankiel and Justin Maxwell (5 each).

A positive spin for Rangers fans: this means your team set a record for strikeouts to start a season. In fact, all three Rangers starting pitchers set career highs for strikeouts against the Astros.

Justin Maxwell is one of the Astros with a handful of Ks this season. (Getty Images)This comes amid news that owner Jim Crane bought the whole team iPads so players could study for upcoming games.

Obviously they need it.

The Astros are expected to be bad this season, we're talking 100-loss bad. Their low, low payroll is already great trivia fodder. Now this.

Here's a little more context: The entire NL East has 35 Ks coming in to Wednesday's games.

For record-chasing purposes, the 2010 Arizona Diamondbacks set the one-year strikeout mark with 1,529 (they did have Mark Reynolds). If the Astros keep striking out at this rate — which is unlikely, but, hey, let's have some fun here — they'd break the record by their 107th game of the year.
like i said......it's gonna be a loooooooooooong season.....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #28
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Dodgers.
      04-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #29
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

go Natinals
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #30
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
go Natinals
Nats got some real talent. Good pitching, good bats, youth, all around well rounded ball club.

What are you guys' predictions?

AL East: Red Sox
NL East: Nationals
AL Central: Tigers or White Sox (Tigers have the worst bullpen lineup ever)
NL Central: Reds
AL West: Rangers
NL West: Giants
      04-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #31
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, MSM, Clubman S

Giants won last night! Whoohoo!
      04-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #32
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SES_D View Post
Nats got some real talent. Good pitching, good bats, youth, all around well rounded ball club.

What are you guys' predictions?

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Tigers or White Sox (Tigers have the worst bullpen lineup ever)
AL West: Rangers
here's mine......

AL East: Orioles
Wildcard: Braves
AL Central: Tigers
AL West: Oakland
Wildcard: Rangers
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #33
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
Man... Yankees sucking dick!

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #34
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Kershaw pitches another gem and (the awful hitting) Dodgers beat the Pirates, 1-0.
      05-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #35
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

ok, so it looks like the Cubs may be out of the race for worst team in the league.

now it's down to the Marlins and Astros: http://www.baseballnation.com/2013/5...worst-mlb-team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB Nation
Back in the early off-season, when the discerning baseball fan wanted to laugh at a team with dismal prospects, he or she would pick on the Houston Astros. Sure, the organization has hired smart people from all around the baseball universe, and their future seems bright. But in the short term, it looked like the Astros were going to have a tough time. Almost certainly the toughest time in baseball.

Then the Marlins happened.

That led to an open question: Could the Marlins catch up with the Astros? The Marlins shipped off almost every valuable player they had, and their biggest free-agent acquisitions were Juan Pierre and Placido Polanco. Suddenly, they had a roster that could compete with the Astros, by which we mean they couldn't compete, just like the Astros.

If you follow that link, don't pay attention to the part where I gush over the Blue Jays' off-season. I was young, inexperienced.

Both teams are bad, as expected. Amazingly, they might even be worse. Both teams are on pace for 116 losses. I know that on-pace stats can be a little deceptive this early in the season, but that's still a stunning pace. The good news for us, though, is that their starts are so similar that there's still a chance to discuss which team will finish the season with a worse record. C'mon, you jackals! Let's pick over some bones!

There isn't an especially scientific way to do this, but we can at least break the teams into categories to see if we can see any separation between the two.

The categories:

Hitting
Here's the thing: Neither one of these teams has any hitters who should hit better. As in, there aren't a lot of unmitigated disasters in either lineup. For example, the Dodgers' Luis Cruz has a -38 OPS+. If he played every day for the rest of the season, he wouldn't finish the season with a -39 OPS+. He probably wouldn't finish with a 39 OPS+, a 59 OPS+, or even a 69 OPS+. He is currently hitting like Matt Garza with an iron deficiency. He's better than that.

The Marlins don't have anyone like that, really. Greg Dobbs currently has a .549 OPS, which is about 100 points lower than his career mark. But he's 34, so this might be the real Greg Dobbs. Adeiny Hechavarria is hitting .207/.254/.369 at short … which isn't that far from what his minor-league stats suggest he would hit. You can play this game up and down the roster. There are bad hitters. But there aren't gawdawful hitters who can aspire to be bad.
When it comes to the players who should be hitting better, the conversation begins and ends with Giancarlo Stanton, whose body is betraying him. Unless you want to argue for Polanco or Pierre as great bets to be as good as they once were. Which you don't.
The same thing applies to the Astros. Like, almost close to the same thing. If anything, the Astros are filled with players who might be overachieving, if just a touch. Ronny Cedeno isn't as good as he's shown, and any time Carlos Peña hits over the Mendoza Line, you have to wonder if it will hold. You might expect Jason Castro to make fewer outs. That's about the end of the expected improvements.
So, go ahead. Pick some Marlins and/or Astros who you think will get better. It's hard. Absent any improvement, then, you'll have to assume the Astros are the better offensive team. They're almost slugging .400, after all. The Marlins have a chance to be one of the worst-hitting teams in recent baseball history. They're hitting .222/.283/.319, and their .601 OPS would be the 10th-worst mark in history. And that means …
Advantage: Astros

Pitching
A partial list of teams with a staff currently performing worse than the Marlins' rotation:
●Padres
●Giants
●Phillies
The Marlins have been quite good, considering. When compared to your typical last-place team, at least. Ricky Nolasco is enjoying his best season since 2008, Kevin Slowey is enjoying his only season since 2010, and Jose Fernandez is a Rookie of the Year candidate. Placeholders Alex Sanabia and Wade LeBlanc haven't been that bad. And the team's cumulative ERA+ is 95 -- 18th in baseball. That's not a historic pace.

Houston's ERA+ is 78, worst in the majors. Their pitching has allowed 5.91 runs per game, easily the most in baseball. Seven pitchers have made a start for them; two have an ERA over 6.00, two have an ERA over 9.00. They have prospects. They don't have a lot of prospects who should help right away.
Advantage: Marlins

Relevant
Giancarlo Stanton is hurt. Jose Altuve isn't. When healthy, Stanton is enough to put the Marlins over the Astros. When healthy.
Advantage: Astros

Likelihood of losing players at the deadline
The Marlins are likely to trade Nolasco and possibly Slowey. It's hard to see another team wanting any of their hitters except Stanton, who seems more like an offseason trade than mid-season.

The Astros will lose Bud Norris? Lucas Harrell? They'll probably get worse at the deadline, don't get me wrong, but it's not like they're the 1993 Padres trading away their only good player.
Advantage: Push

Prospects who could go nuts
Christian Yelich is still lurking for the Marlins, who have a highly regarded farm system. The prize of the Astros' system is Jonathan Singleton, who is serving a suspension for prohibition-related offenses. The former is the better prospect, but the latter is closer to the majors and expected to contribute sooner.

If either team had a high-level pitcher ready to contribute, he would be in the rotation by now. Jarred Cosart is pretty close, though, and he's probably the single prospect on either team who could make a big difference in 2013. He's not exactly setting Triple-A on fire (over a strikeout per inning, but four walks for every nine innings pitched), so he might be a September call-up at best.

Yelich is the best player in either system, he's hitting well, and the Marlins are crazy enough to call him up soon. When he enters his arbitration years in his early-to-mid 20s? That'll be the problem of the team trading for him, right?
Advantage: Marlins

BOLD PREDICTION
The Astros will finish with the worst record. There's no real reason to be supremely confident about this, but the Marlins at least have the pitching. A decent Nolasco and healthy Slowey go a long way. And while that offense should be bad, it's never a good idea to bet on historically bad. If Slowey is healthy, Fernandez remains effective into the summer, and Nolasco's half as good as he was always supposed to be, the Marlins should avoid 115-loss ignominy. They might even avoid 100 losses if Stanton comes back and gets hot.

They probably won't avoid 100 losses. These teams are awful. Awful enough for me to write a column like this and not get attacked in the comments by too many fans of the two teams. Because they know. Oh, man, how they know. I'll take the Astros for now, but if Stanton doesn't come back ... oh, I can't decide. This is like a Sophie's choice, but if both of Sophie's kids wouldn't stop learning how to play banjo in the middle of the night.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #36
DriveWFO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10, F15

This is the year for the Pirates...................................to break .500 after 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #37
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
With all of that money spent, the Dodgers are solidly in the NL West cellar.

That said, they're only six games out.
      05-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #38
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep

I feel bad for the Dodgers. I'm a Giant's fan so I'm suppose to automatically hate them but they have some good guys on that team...they should be doing a lot better. Hopefully they start now, or around all-star break.
      05-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #39
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SES_D View Post
I feel bad for the Dodgers. I'm a Giant's fan so I'm suppose to automatically hate them but they have some good guys on that team...they should be doing a lot better. Hopefully they start now, or around all-star break.
The sooner the better.
      05-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #40
DrewG13
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Just heard about Beckett. Pretty strange symptoms. Hope it all works out for him. Agree with the above. Dodgers should be doing better. They have good talent but somehow they don't seem to have any drive when playing.

Oh and Go Giants. Although they've been playing lousy lately. Starting pitchers are in a slump and defense has been making a lot of errors. Hope they turn it around. Maybe they'll wake up after the All-Star break.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #41
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewG13 View Post
Just heard about Beckett. Pretty strange symptoms. Hope it all works out for him. Agree with the above. Dodgers should be doing better. They have good talent but somehow they don't seem to have any drive when playing.
Time and time again, the Dodgers seem to get burned when they dole out the bucks for free agents... Beckett, Uribe, Schmidt, etc...

They should stick with homegrown talent like Kershaw (I'd mention Ethier and Kemp, but their tanking right now... )
      07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #42
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

my undeniable man crush

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #43
DriveWFO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10, F15

Still saying this is the year for the Pirates.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #44
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveWFO View Post
Still saying this is the year for the Pirates.
as they have the last 3 years, they will play .350 baseball and fall out of playoff contention with 45 games left.....
Appreciate 0