F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Which resort in Cancun?
proTUNING Freaks

01-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Which resort in Cancun?

planning to go to cancun in april.

what are some good all-inclusive resorts?
      01-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel...AndVillas.aspx
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

thanks for the link but some personal feedback would be nice.
      01-14-2008, 01:18 AM   #4
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post
thanks for the link but some personal feedback would be nice.
Sorry, can't help with that!! I've seen that place in a few ads and liked the way it looked so I sent the link lol! Never been...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
Sorry, can't help with that!! I've seen that place in a few ads and liked the way it looked so I sent the link lol! Never been...
haha most places look great with computer generated photos.

i have a headache researching resorts..
      01-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I've been to Cancun several times and by far the nicest we stayed at was the Melia (looks like a temple or sorts) very modern, nice staff. The Ritz is very nice (as all are) however it's not very far down the "strip" so you might be taking cabs everywhere if you plan to travel out of the resort.

I love Cancun, definitely check out Coco Bongo....it was something else, although pricey. A very nice romantic place we eat everytime we go is called Lorenzillos, right on the water and the food is to die for.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I stayed in Riviera Maya last year, really liked it there. Hot tub in every room. It was a lot closer to the airport than the rest of Cancun, and no matter where I was at any of the pools, there was always a waitress with a Cuba Libré waiting for me.

We usually ate at the buffet, and there was always killer variety of great seafood. Just walk up and order some calamari or mussels and they made them right there for you. Or head over to the steak bar and order your cut and how you want them to grill it. We also went out to the golfcourse for the high-class dinner one night, it was pretty good as well. Even the wine list was included there.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom330 View Post
I've been to Cancun several times and by far the nicest we stayed at was the Melia (looks like a temple or sorts) very modern, nice staff. The Ritz is very nice (as all are) however it's not very far down the "strip" so you might be taking cabs everywhere if you plan to travel out of the resort.

I love Cancun, definitely check out Coco Bongo....it was something else, although pricey. A very nice romantic place we eat everytime we go is called Lorenzillos, right on the water and the food is to die for.
the ritz is way out of my budget. i found a new places for it was about $2k/person for flight and 6-7 nights stay.

i heard alot about coco bongo so i'll have to check it out. what is it exactly? how pricey is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I stayed in Riviera Maya last year, really liked it there. Hot tub in every room. It was a lot closer to the airport than the rest of Cancun, and no matter where I was at any of the pools, there was always a waitress with a Cuba Libré waiting for me.

We usually ate at the buffet, and there was always killer variety of great seafood. Just walk up and order some calamari or mussels and they made them right there for you. Or head over to the steak bar and order your cut and how you want them to grill it. We also went out to the golfcourse for the high-class dinner one night, it was pretty good as well. Even the wine list was included there.
awesome i'll look into that spot!
      01-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

you should pm EOE90 he spent a week or so there a little while back. im sure he can give you good feedback
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

There were 3 or more Riviera places in Cancun. We stayed in the Moon palace.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
phantom330
Captain
Rep

Quote:
the ritz is way out of my budget. i found a new places for it was about $2k/person for flight and 6-7 nights stay.

i heard alot about coco bongo so i'll have to check it out. what is it exactly? how pricey is it?

awesome i'll look into that spot!
Coco Bongo is basically a club/bar, but it's huge and has a type of cirque vibe. Expensive to get in, if I recall it was upwards of 40-50 per person, but some drinks were included. You'll have a great time, I travel a lot and Cancun is one of my favorite places.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
you should pm EOE90 he spent a week or so there a little while back. im sure he can give you good feedback
awesome i'll PM him

Quote:
Coco Bongo is basically a club/bar, but it's huge and has a type of cirque vibe. Expensive to get in, if I recall it was upwards of 40-50 per person, but some drinks were included. You'll have a great time, I travel a lot and Cancun is one of my favorite places.
i'll have to check that out. is there a shuttle that takes you there from the resort or is it one of those spots downtown you have to get to on your own?
      01-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #13
euro2low
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 SG/SB 328i cab. spt.pkg/nav

The Rio Cancun. WOW WOW WOW. service is great. location is great. right near DT where all the parties are. The beach is beautiful (sand and water) LOTS of wimminz in the hotel. Every night they take you to a different club and have VIP sections saved for people from different hotels. We have been there 2ice and I would go back any day. A bit on the pricey side but well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #14
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

I was at one of the Riu hotels in the Mayan Riviera last winter, and would go back in a heart beat. Can't remember which resort off hand, but I'll dig it up if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #15
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro2low View Post
The Rio Cancun. WOW WOW WOW. service is great. location is great. right near DT where all the parties are. The beach is beautiful (sand and water) LOTS of wimminz in the hotel. Every night they take you to a different club and have VIP sections saved for people from different hotels. We have been there 2ice and I would go back any day. A bit on the pricey side but well worth it.
you mean the RIU right? that was one of my options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
I was at one of the Riu hotels in the Mayan Riviera last winter, and would go back in a heart beat. Can't remember which resort off hand, but I'll dig it up if you're interested.
please do! i'd like to have this booked by the end of the week.
      01-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #16
phantom330
Captain
Rep

Quote:
awesome i'll PM him

i'll have to check that out. is there a shuttle that takes you there from the resort or is it one of those spots downtown you have to get to on your own?
there is a bus that goes all around town and it's like .50 or something crazy like that. Not the most fancy of transportation (drunk locals playing guitars on bus, etc), but it's kind of fun, especially on the way back when you're buzzed. You can get a taxi but the bus is cheap and easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #17
giddyup69
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335xi

if you're looking to party and have fun with people aged around 20-30 then riu cancun is for u. i was there about 3-4 years ago. great hotel.. lots of fun. they even re-stock your bar with free beer each day. what more can u say??
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #18
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup69 View Post
they even re-stock your bar with free beer each day. what more can u say??
At teh Riviera Maya that I stayed in, there was beer AND upside-down Jose, Bacardi, and something else I can't remember. The bottles had this lever, like a soda fountain, and it just poured out into your glass
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #19
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
you mean the RIU right? that was one of my options.

please do! i'd like to have this booked by the end of the week.
it was the RIU Palace Mexico. there's also the RIU Palace Riviera Maya which is basically next door. The Riviera Maya is newer, but both are really nice. I believe they all have a small terrace off the back of the room and some have hot tubs on the terraces.

The service was great, the staff is very friendly. We tried to leave tips for the housekeepers each day, and they wouldn't take the money. We eventually left a little sign that said "Tips" otherwise the money would have just sat there.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #20
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
there is a bus that goes all around town and it's like .50 or something crazy like that. Not the most fancy of transportation (drunk locals playing guitars on bus, etc), but it's kind of fun, especially on the way back when you're buzzed. You can get a taxi but the bus is cheap and easy.
thanks for the info. thats something i'll definitely check out

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup69 View Post
if you're looking to party and have fun with people aged around 20-30 then riu cancun is for u. i was there about 3-4 years ago. great hotel.. lots of fun. they even re-stock your bar with free beer each day. what more can u say??
right on! i'm actually looking into riu cancun. thats pretty much what i was looking for. i wanted a lively spot but it still has to be clean, look nice and have an awesome staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
At teh Riviera Maya that I stayed in, there was beer AND upside-down Jose, Bacardi, and something else I can't remember. The bottles had this lever, like a soda fountain, and it just poured out into your glass

wake up to a fountain of cuervo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
it was the RIU Palace Mexico. there's also the RIU Palace Riviera Maya which is basically next door. The Riviera Maya is newer, but both are really nice. I believe they all have a small terrace off the back of the room and some have hot tubs on the terraces.

The service was great, the staff is very friendly. We tried to leave tips for the housekeepers each day, and they wouldn't take the money. We eventually left a little sign that said "Tips" otherwise the money would have just sat there.

yeah i found like 3 different riu's. i think the palace was a bit over my budget but i'll look into it again.
      01-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #21
MonteB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Black on Black

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I cant say anything about the RUI Palace in Mexico but the one in Punta Cana is fantastic! I have been told that all the Rui's are top noch. All I know is that my next vacation will be at another Riu!
      01-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #22
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteB View Post
I cant say anything about the RUI Palace in Mexico but the one in Punta Cana is fantastic! I have been told that all the Rui's are top noch. All I know is that my next vacation will be at another Riu!
good to know