F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Office Lease Rent Question
GetBMWParts

01-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Unhappy Office Lease Rent Question

my dad's office lease expired 2 days go. he was going to renew but out of nowhere the landlord said to him and everyone on the 2nd floor we would all have to move out in 30 days b/c he wants to change the 2nd floor for storing purposes.

can a landlord just give you a notice like that and say 30 days and your out? it takes time to find a office, expecially the size and then time to move out. any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
my dad's office lease expired 2 days go. he was going to renew but out of nowhere the landlord said to him and everyone on the 2nd floor we would all have to move out in 30 days b/c he wants to change the 2nd floor for storing purposes.

can a landlord just give you a notice like that and say 30 days and your out? it takes time to find a office, expecially the size and then time to move out. any ideas?
Yes. If your lease expires its up to the landlord if they will let you renew it some will but in this case they have something else in mind and they dont want to. Its a very common thing, it even happens in apartments and houses when the owner wants to do a big renovation ect.

Generally if you are in a lease they cant do anything since its a contract and if they breach that you can sue.. But when a lease is over its over no more contract. Generally depending on your states laws the landlords requirements for letting a party know they will not be able to renew a lease in say an apartments or house again is usually dont quote me on this usually the same amount of time that they pre pay for, so if you pay month to month then you get 1 month notice, if you pay every 3 months 3 months notice ect. (also note that laws are different for commercial vs residential.)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

thanks for the info. the building my dad is in is a huge corporate place. there are 3 people himself included occupying over 15,000 square feet of space. so for the landlord to tell us we only have 1 month to move out is to him and others impossible.

finding another space for our needs is very hard and then moving all the stuff is another time taker.

we pay 3 month lease at a time. i have to seriously look into this. now if NJ law states the owner give us notice in a system of which you said we can sue right?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
thanks for the info. the building my dad is in is a huge corporate place. there are 3 people himself included occupying over 15,000 square feet of space. so for the landlord to tell us we only have 1 month to move out is to him and others impossible.

finding another space for our needs is very hard and then moving all the stuff is another time taker.

we pay 3 month lease at a time. i have to seriously look into this. now if NJ law states the owner give us notice in a system of which you said we can sue right?
Wait if it is so difficult to find a place and hard to get everything together then why do a 3 month lease? Wouldn't you want more stability and do a longer one?

Also most states I bet say 30 days maybe a couple more weeks of extra time. So dont even bother going to court.

This is how the world works, It sucks but truthfully that is the guys property.
      01-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

I am sure your dad is in contact with an agent trying to find a new location to rent. You can have him ask them. But you cant really just sue people its not easy and wont help you out. The wheels of justice are slow and most landlords are well aware of their rights especially in big building leases (its probably a big company) usually the landlords that mess up and are able to be sued are everyday people who buy a house and try and rent it out and dont bother to read the rules ect.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
Wait if it is so difficult to find a place and hard to get everything together then why do a 3 month lease? Wouldn't you want more stability and do a longer one?

Also most states I bet say 30 days maybe a couple more weeks of extra time. So dont even bother going to court.

This is how the world works, It sucks but truthfully that is the guys property.
my dads been using that office since 2000. so when the landlord all of a suden said he will be using the entire building for storage it was such a surprise. and the payment plan that was set was only 3 month terms.

thanks for info btw
Appreciate 0