F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Just saw a Dodge diesel truck go AIRBORN!
Extreme Powerhouse

01-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Just saw a Dodge diesel truck go AIRBORN!

So I just finished changing my oil and was taking the car out for post oil change leak test drive and oil level check. I'm driving around all calm, oil level sensor finishes and tells me I'm good. Oil is warmed up ETC so i start getting on it. Get off at an exit to do a U turn and there is this nice turn on to the ramp. Perfect angle plenty of run off space and so on. So i floor it from the light and get a little (OK a lot) sideways . Go through the toll hammer it up the on ramp going like 120 before I even get to the road. Get off the gas and start slowing down.

By this point I'm down to about 90MPH and I see this truck coming on the on ramp. Around here they have one or two of these types they use for undercover traffic enforcement. So I'm thinking to myself "oh boy hope it's not a cop" then my gut sink as I notice, I'm still going 90, and this guy is coming up behind me FAST. So I stay off the gas and keep decelerating and get in the right lane. I figure if it's a cop he hasn't had the chance to pace me yet since he is till gaining and if it's not I don't want to be in front of him anyway because he's more nuts then me. Good thing it was the later.

So this guy goes flying past me at 100+ MPH, keep in mind it's a BIG truck and is raised, theres so traffic right in front he gets RIGHT on this white camrys butt, goes around him when theres barely enough room to his right, let alone in front of the camery to get back into the left. Then he starts tailgating the car in front of the camry. I'm behind the camry watching all this (I speed back up after I realized it wasn't a cop) finally the road clears for the truck and he floors it, for about 3 seconds because his exit just came up. I see him take it so I dart across to follow him. (I have decided at this point this guy needs someone to get his ego in check)

Now the ramp is a nice long sweeper, the kind I enjoy going around when they come up. Now again, this is a big dodge diesel truck that is RAISED. So I come flying down the ramp, he's about 1/4 of the ramp ahead of me and I close it right away, he sees me a few hundred feet back coming up behind him and starts accelerating! Mind you I was going to check his ego when we got off the exit not on the offramp! So hes accelerating accelerating I'm behind him thinking "Hey guy this is a BMW coupe, this is not a contest you can win." needless to say I was right.

Now I'm not at the limit, but I'm close enough to it that I have two hand on the wheel rather than my normal daily one hand and one on the shifter. So at this point I am SURE that that truck is at the limit, or as I fear, possibly past it. Again I was right. As we round the last 1/4 of the ramp (it's a full 360 turn) my fear is realized as I get a look at his right front, it's wobbling like it's ready to fall off. As I'm looking at his wheel I realize THERE'S NO LONGER ROAD UNDER IT. We were at the last 100 feet and things slow WAY down as I watch the truck slide off the on ramp, across the little stretch of dirt/grass between the on ramp and the road we're exiting onto (Another 4 lane highway). He goes down a bit taking out a few of those little reflector posts and then POPS up into the air, he was a good 2-3 feet off the ground. I think he landed about right in the middle of the highway. (Thank god no one was around) but he didn't stop there, he kept sliding off the side of the road barely gets traction again (He's now on the median of the highway) and narrowly preventing himself from running straight into the bridges support. (The bridge we had just gone over from the other road.)

Luckily no one was hurt, and my car was not scratched by any of the debris.
      01-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Pics or it didn't happen..
You should start carrying a video camera around for stuff like this.

-Nathan
      01-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
derek0480
DROPPIN' LOADS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
JACKASS!!!!!

him....not u.
      01-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
Pics or it didn't happen..
You should start carrying a video camera around for stuff like this.

-Nathan
Lol I left to go get pictures right after I posted, not as spectacular as I was hoping.

Heres where he ran off, you can't tell from the pic but there is a considerable dip there. More considerable when you factor in the speed lol. You can also see a little of his track and you can see the supports I was talking abut, he was lucky he didn't go into them.

And the other direction.

01-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek0480 View Post
JACKASS!!!!!

him....not u.
Well I was being a jackass for egging him on, in hindsight I shouldn't have because based on his previous driving that was the only outcome.
      01-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Well I was being a jackass for egging him on, in hindsight I shouldn't have because based on his previous driving that was the only outcome.
LOL, I was sort of thinking that too.

But he would have probably have done it to himself whether this time or next. Would have been quite the site I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
You're lucky no one saw you, they could've said you were racing him.

Entertaining story though.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
What I was thinking exactly, but sometimes it gets all heated and emotional so its not always easy to think straight. But one thing I really don't like is people who try to "police" other on the road. For all you know, someone was dying and he was trying to say his last goodbyes. Even if it was just him being a dick, trying to stop him will only make him more reckless and dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e90 View Post
What I was thinking exactly, but sometimes it gets all heated and emotional so its not always easy to think straight. But one thing I really don't like is people who try to "police" other on the road. For all you know, someone was dying and he was trying to say his last goodbyes. Even if it was just him being a dick, trying to stop him will only make him more reckless and dangerous.
I was not trying to stop him, if you saw the truck you would know the guy was obviously trying to compensate for something. I was going to put his ego in check by blowing his doors off .

I was thinking straight, heres my thought process.

This guys a dick -> He thinks his truck is fast-> lets teach him a thing or two.

This is what it should have been:

This guys a dick->he thinks his trucks fast->hes driving very reckless-> I would like to teach him a thing or two but his driving in the process might endanger people.
      01-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #10
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
I was not trying to stop him, if you saw the truck you would know the guy was obviously trying to compensate for something. I was going to put his ego in check by blowing his doors off .

I was thinking straight, heres my thought process.

This guys a dick -> He thinks his truck is fast-> lets teach him a thing or two.

This is what it should have been:

This guys a dick->he thinks his trucks fast->hes driving very reckless-> I would like to teach him a thing or two but his driving in the process might endanger people.
oh lol sorry. I misunderstood what you meant by "keep his ego in check".
Appreciate 0